collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 513
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Why didn't Charlie throw F1 VSC switch when flag waved early?  (Read 2057 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
On safety grounds in F1 we've got stupid Halos, and Darth Vader helmets to follow, yet Charlie allows cars to keep racing to end of next lap when flag shown early.  :o :swoon:

Whilst the Celeb, wrongly it turns, out is blamed for the fiasco for hours after the event, the most senior FIA official at the race appears to have given the green light for teams to race to the end.  :crazy:

I see they are now saying they'll investigate end of race procedures to avoid recurrence. Well I think they also need to explain why they failed to neutralise the race with one flick of switch/press of button.  >:(

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

Re: Why didn't Charlie throw F1 VSC switch when flag waved early?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 03:55:45 PM »
^^ :good: :good:

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:24:18 PM »
It's against the regulations to VSC a race that is already ended.

The reason is that there's no point in continuing to race (as everyone involved should have known already, with the possible exception of the flag-waver). A premature chequered flag is the same as the red flag, so the results are taken from the last lap before it happened.

If the drivers had remembered the regulations, they would all have slowed down on their own accord - including the ones that hadn't seen the chequered flag yet (thanks to radios).

A pity that the race director doesn't know the rules for this scenario.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 11:12:30 PM »
So breaking a pointless regulation is worse than risking trackside lives?
Geez the FIA has some funny safety standards.  ::)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
Nobody would be endangered if following the regulations was done. The danger came because some people forgot or ignored the regulation requiring them to slow down after the race ends.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 05:32:32 PM »
I wonder what signals the drivers were receiving. I know Vettel radioed in that the race wasn't over.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 07:15:11 PM »
I think there was too much confusion for all the drivers to simply start slowing down.  To properly bring the race to a safe end, the FIA should have gotten on the drivers radios and commanded them to slow down and that the race was over. 

I think most teams took the "If in doubt, race on" attitude, which is exactly what I would have done as a driver.  No way would I take the chance that it was an error and they would throw the flag again a lap later, meanwhile I had slowed down and allowed another driver to pass.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 08:29:12 PM »
I think there was too much confusion for all the drivers to simply start slowing down.  To properly bring the race to a safe end, the FIA should have gotten on the drivers radios and commanded them to slow down and that the race was over. 

I think most teams took the "If in doubt, race on" attitude, which is exactly what I would have done as a driver.  No way would I take the chance that it was an error and they would throw the flag again a lap later, meanwhile I had slowed down and allowed another driver to pass.

On second thought, you're still racing until you complete your lap when the chequers are shown.  A VSC would have impacted (in theory) anyone actively racing for position who hadn't passed the start/finish line yet.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 10:05:46 PM »

On second thought, you're still racing until you complete your lap when the chequers are shown.  A VSC would have impacted (in theory) anyone actively racing for position who hadn't passed the start/finish line yet.

Except it couldn't, the race effectively stops a lap earlier the same as it does under red flag conditions, it's to stop cars from being tempted to continue racing. 
This means positions remain as they were at end of 68, the lap before, any overtakes/change of position on lap 69/70 wouldn't be counted, that's why Danny Ric's fastest lap was
disallowed, he set it on lap 69 but the race was counted back to end of lap 68.

The undoubted confusion from drivers and teams who continued racing is the reason I asked about the obvious need to deploy VSC in these circumstances.

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »
With respect, I think I have a better idea..... don't let some moron issue the instruction to 'throw the chequered' until the race is actually finishing! We manage to keep pace of which car is in the lead and what lap they are on and we have to pay for the priveledge. The 'officials' are paid to watch! It can't be that hard!  >:( :crazy: :fool:
Sorry; rant over  ;)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »
With respect, I think I have a better idea..... don't let some moron issue the instruction to 'throw the chequered' until the race is actually finishing! We manage to keep pace of which car is in the lead and what lap they are on and we have to pay for the priveledge. The 'officials' are paid to watch! It can't be that hard!  >:( :crazy: :fool:
Sorry; rant over  ;)

Absolutely.  In fact why on earth was she even HANDED the flag until Vettel was two turns away from the end of the race?  It was just foolish of the idiot in the flag stand to hand her the flag before then.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle