collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 357
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Considers Automated Checkered Flag  (Read 4350 times)

Offline cosworth151

F1 Considers Automated Checkered Flag
« on: June 15, 2018, 04:02:02 PM »
Charlie Whiting has looked into an automated checkered flag system.

"You could, and it would be quite straightforward for us, make the big black panel that you see show a checkered flag at the appropriate time. But if you're going to do it automatically, then you've got to think about exactly when you're going to do it, when you're going to activate it. It's not completely straightforward. It needs a little bit of thought."

He does mention that the flag stand sometimes gets too crowded. I think most of us have noticed that at times during the raced:

"We may need to look at other things, like the amount of people that get up there sometimes. That can be a little bit difficult."

I for one would hate to see the actual checkered flag be replaced by a video image. That said, for many years it was traditional to start an F1 race by waving the flag of the host country. That gave was to a lights system that is, truth be told, a much better way to start a race.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-race-director-charlie-whiting-has-considered-using-automated-flag-system

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: F1 Considers Automated Checkered Flag
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »
Liberty is about putting on a show, FIA is about putting on a sport.  People (especially 'beautiful') waving flags is a much better show, automated systems are much better sport.

So... why not split the difference, have someone waving a start flag when the lights go out (i.e., a flag that is meaningless but looks dramatic), and someone waving a chequered flag when it comes up on the flag light (i.e., a second flag that is meaningless but also looks dramatic).

Good for the sport, good for the show.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
Aahh! C'mon Charlie just get the people in charge of the flag wave to do their job properly. I don't mean the celeb but the race official in charge of it. 

Sure automation is an easy route, the start is a red herring in this discussion as all the competitors are affected by that, but at the end it's mainly us the spectating audience that's more involved. A chequered sign is so lame but firework burst like in Abu Dhabi could have a certain attraction, still needs someone to set it off though.  :P

We've seen what automation for pit release has thrown up, and not for the better, I for one still miss the lollipop.  :(

What will be next for automation remote control instead of drivers??????   :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:34:41 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 04:30:51 PM »
There are worse things than having somebody who knows nothing about the sport wave the checkers. Having people who know nothing about the sport actually running the whole thin, for instance.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Robem64

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:17:47 PM »
There are worse things than having somebody who knows nothing about the sport wave the checkers. Having people who know nothing about the sport actually running the whole thin, for instance.

Well said  :good:
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 08:28:06 AM »

Well said  :good:

Well said X2 :good:
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 04:59:50 PM »
No, FIA, we do not need you to find another way of messing up the chequered flag.

What you need is automated assist, not automaved waving, of the flag...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 07:18:36 PM »
I wonder how many times it has happened in modern F1?  I can't recall ever seeing it before. 

More important is to keep the flag stand to the professionals.  Let the celebrities take over the Paddock Club and wander the paddock, but lock the rest of the doors when the race starts.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 02:07:51 AM »
I wonder how many times it has happened in modern F1?  I can't recall ever seeing it before. 

More important is to keep the flag stand to the professionals.  Let the celebrities take over the Paddock Club and wander the paddock, but lock the rest of the doors when the race starts.

Here! Here!! ... and so say all of us.  Maybe keep them away from swimming pools and balconies also!!!  ;)

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 10:57:08 AM »

According to racefans.net it's happened 3 times before.

Celebrity guest Canadian Grand Prix flag-waver Winner Harlow can claim she was in good company when she hung out the chequer too early under instruction from an official last Sunday.

The first occasion this happened in F1 was 40 years ago at the Argentinian Grand Prix. The culprit on that occasion was none other than local hero and five-times Formula 1 world champion Juan Manuel Fangio, who mistook Ronnie Peterson’s fifth-place Lotus for that of his race-leading team mate Mario Andretti.

Two other races have been brought to an early ended due to hasty flag-waving since then. Alain Prost was shown the chequered flag a lap early when he won the British Grand Prix in 1985 and the same happened to Lewis Hamilton in China four years ago.

Courtesy Keith Collantine, racefans.net, 14th June.

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 05:03:48 PM »
"claim" .... lovely word!!

Can we rest assumed that nobody is covering for her, as it's the official thing to do? ... (under Article 123, Section 321, Appendix 789 >>> "Celebs will be protected against monumental blunders, regardless of the level of stupidityness ... and something with tion on the end for the classic reading factor" :D

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 06:05:23 PM »

Can we rest assumed that nobody is covering for her, as it's the official thing to do? ...

Yes we can Calman,  ::)  even supposing they stupidly gave her the flag nearly 2 laps early and told her not to play about with it but she then fluttered it like a model's eyelashes it would still be the gantry officials fault.

Any amateur on the gantry must be supervised at all times due to the danger of anything, or even they themselves falling onto the track during a race. She couldn't have done the deed without help and encouragement, or at worst indifference or neglect, from the officials.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 06:07:43 PM by John S »

Offline Calman

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »
I bet there was a HUGE Bumble Bee up there and the Flag was the first thing she reached for!!!  :DD

Edit: Or .... with 2 laps to go, maybe an official noticed she was looking tired, even with a miniscule amount of time on the gantry, so he said "Lay Down Flat on Nick's Lap!" ... which she interpreted as "Wave Flag on Next Lap!"

... I'll get me coat!  |-(

Best Regards,
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:09:18 PM by Calman »

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 08:56:04 PM »
.......or her arm just got tired of holding such a heavy prop.  ;)

If I can't knock sense into thou  |-(

I might as well support you!  :D  :P :P :P :P :P :P

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle