collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 365
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Go 3M  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Andy B

Go 3M
« on: June 16, 2018, 10:32:40 PM »
After Liberty brought in the weird logo dumping the iconic F1 logo 3M are now taking legal action so good luck to them lets have our logo back.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/stationary-brand-3m-opposes-f1-logo/

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Calman

Re: Go 3M
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »
Although this all went quiet for a while, I was sure it wouldn't go away.  There are different angles to the argument, but from what I believe, the particular 3M product line in question, registered their logo earlier than Liberty Media's new F1 logo.

Sure this will be sorted out, but I would personally find it funny if Liberty Media have a battle on their hands!!!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 05:06:10 PM »
Maybe next time they'll due a little more research into a new logo.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 10:54:18 AM »
I assume Liberty got a design company to do the logo. These logos are so near identical that whilst obviously Liberty are being sued by 3M, ultimately Liberty will be wanting those costs back from their design company. This company looks incompetent if they didn't notice 3Ms logo first.  Alternatively, maybe they are the same design company as the one used by 3M and they figured they would just pocket the cash twice, for one bit of work...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 12:50:52 PM »
If Liberty stayed out of clothing then there would be little chance of 3M challenging as similar styles can be used for different industries without compromising the trade mark rules.

I think 3M have been biding there time and until Liberty started to ramp up logo emblazoned clothing sales had no decent prospect of challenging the supposed interloper.

Before blaming the design studio we'd need to see the brief issued by liberty, if it never contained a mention of clothing then whoever put forward the logo would have felt safe it fell within trade mark rules.

There are quite a lot of different categories in the rules that trade marks can be registered under, 45 to be more precise, and Liberty have applied in 26 of them including clothing.
When anyone applies under a different category, using words or symbols similar to another original design, unless it is for identical or related goods and/or services it is usually assumed that no 'passing off' is possible - no competition between the mark holders so both can hold similar marks.

Clearly 3M now feel a challenge could succeed, however since their mark is in the category of therapeutic clothing it's possible but not certain their challenge will succeed. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:58:21 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:58:48 PM »
Liberty are definitely planning clothing - they trialled three new items (a hat and 2 T-shirts) in a fan survey last week.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »
The 3M logo Futuro, like John said, is a brand of therepuetic support clothing, for example elbow braces, compression socks, knee braces, that sort of thing.  It's not as if there is a huge line of clothing that they are protecting - the logo isn't even prominent on the products, just a little label and probably on the packaging.  Most of the braces would even be doctor recommended or prescribed.  I honestly believe 3M is suing Liberty on little more than a lark.  It's just a bonus for their legal team to pull in a few million settlement for writing a letter. 

Liberty will settle and all will be good again in copyright land.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 08:32:02 PM »
The 3M logo Futuro, like John said, is a brand of therepuetic support clothing, for example elbow braces, compression socks, knee braces, that sort of thing.  It's not as if there is a huge line of clothing that they are protecting - the logo isn't even prominent on the products, just a little label and probably on the packaging.  Most of the braces would even be doctor recommended or prescribed.  I honestly believe 3M is suing Liberty on little more than a lark.  It's just a bonus for their legal team to pull in a few million settlement for writing a letter. 

Liberty will settle and all will be good again in copyright land.

The line between therapeutic and safety gear could be a little blurry.  I don't know if, for example, the HANS is F1 branded or not.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:59:44 PM »
F1 has a general copyright for trademarks covering clothing in general. It doesn't distinguish between "safety" and "regular". Had they been more careful in that definition, there would have been no suit possible.

HANS would not have F1 branding, simply because it is FIA-supplied and therefore has FIA branding instead. What would have F1 branding and be safety-related is the overalls the FOM TV crews wear, their helmets, balaclavas and racing underwear (some of which could be confused with things like the abdominal support). However, I think it is the overreaching copyright claim FOM made, rather than the range of attire that actually carries the logo, which will cause the problem for Liberty.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle