collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 346
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Red Bull announce Honda deal.  (Read 4044 times)

guest3164

Red Bull announce Honda deal.
« on: June 19, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
Red Bull have finally confirmed the inevitable and announced a deal to run Honda engines from 2019 onwards.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136852/red-bull-announces-2019-honda-engine-deal

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Red Bull announce Honda deal.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
I guess most of us thought this was the route RBR would take, so no real surprise.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 01:40:30 PM »
And back at Renault headquarters...

"Don't let the door hit you in the A$$ on the way out".

Over at Ricciardo's management team...

"Ferrari on line one!  Mercedes on line two!  Renault on line three!"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:42:21 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 02:27:45 PM »
I, for one, am glad to hear it.

That means that next year, Haas will be fighting for 5th & 6th rather than 7th & 8th.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »
Will Red Bull continue to have Aston Martin as their 'title' sponsor?

Surely the Aston Martin brand isn't served by relying on Honda power.  At least right now Aston Martin Red Bull Racing doesn't use the name 'Renault' anywhere.

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 05:52:00 PM »
Will Red Bull continue to have Aston Martin as their 'title' sponsor?

Surely the Aston Martin brand isn't served by relying on Honda power.  At least right now Aston Martin Red Bull Racing doesn't use the name 'Renault' anywhere.

Well, kinda!!! ... the change for 2019 will obviously include Honda powered Red Bull's, but "Aston Martin" will be replaced by "Ricky Martin - She Bangs" as the main brand in harmony with Honda.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 09:37:12 PM »
Well, kinda!!! ... the change for 2019 will obviously include Honda powered Red Bull's, but "Aston Martin" will be replaced by "Ricky Martin - She Bangs" as the main brand in harmony with Honda.

Best Regards,

You've been holding that one in reserve for a while, haven't you  :P

Offline Calman

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 01:30:15 AM »

Best Regards,

You've been holding that one in reserve for a while, haven't you  :P

Very much so Luke!! ... if the level of Heckling from the crowd becomes overwhelming, there is a pre-set "fast exit" door at the ready.  So, where did I place my "random jokes" notepad today? ... must be in my Anorak pocket!!!

Best Regards,
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 07:22:48 AM »
I forecast this eon's ago and I think its a wise move and obviously RB also think its the right way to go. RB are not stupid and they also have all the information that there is to have so would not take this route unless they think its going to work. Probably the only thing that is questionable is that its a two year contract but that also runs up to the new engine rules so may not be as questionable from the inside as it seems.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »
I think your right Andy about RBR keeping their options open about the new engines.
Aston Martin have been lobbying hard, one presumes with Red Bull backing, to get the new engine rules to work within a budget and technical model they feel comfortable in.
We might yet see Aston committing to build an engine for F1, although IMHO it's highly unlikely.   

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 02:32:21 PM »
It;s fairly obvious that Honda made a breakthrough in reliability in the off season, or that the design of the McLaren was contributing to Honda's woes. Given how this season has gone, I suspect it's a little of both. Toro Rosso was very pleased with the update Honda brought to Montreal and Honda says they feel they are very close to Renault now. Plus the deal has other incentives for R/B. They pay Renault 25M for their engines, they will pay Honda 0. Honda will also provide 75-100M in technical support to R/B. Renault has a "factory team" in the series and the engines are optimized for their fuel supplier. R/B will be the "factory team" for Honda and Honda will use the fuel from R/B's supplier exclusively. Even if they drop from solid 3RD in the WCC to best of the mid field, financially they are golden. What's not to like?
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 03:13:24 PM »
It;s fairly obvious that Honda made a breakthrough in reliability in the off season, or that the design of the McLaren was contributing to Honda's woes. Given how this season has gone, I suspect it's a little of both.

I feel that Honda is succeeding because the pressure is off. I know in the past they've run their F1 programme as a way to entice top talent to the company, whereas the other F1 engine companies are solely race engine teams.  I'm sure that going from making engines for sedans to making engines for F1 cars is quite a step up and a lot of pressure.

Adding in the expectations of winning championships with McLaren/Alonso, I'm sure that plenty of the Honda people were just trying too hard, making little mistakes.  Now that it's relaxed, that they're with a B team using developing drivers they can breath a little, and the little mistakes are going away. 

Confidence builds, results show, and that winning culture that is important in any sport beings to grow.  Linking up exclusively with McLaren was a bad idea for Honda, but I think they'll be ready next year to be competitive with RBR.

I'm glad they've stuck it out, and shown there is room to enter the sport if you take the right approach.  (Also see Haas)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 03:46:35 PM »
8 November, 1992. Adelaide, Australia.

Over a quarter of a century ago.

The last time a Honda powered car won an F1 race.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 05:57:02 PM »
Honda has relaxed the policy of using the F1 project to develop young engineers for the company and is hiring Europeans who are experienced in racing engine design.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 11:12:36 PM »
8 November, 1992. Adelaide, Australia.

Over a quarter of a century ago.

The last time a Honda powered car won an F1 race.

Ah c'mon Cossie how could you forget Jenson's magnificent victory at the 2006 Hungarian GP.  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle