collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 366
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Grand Prix of France 2018  (Read 2540 times)

Online cosworth151

Grand Prix of France 2018
« on: June 19, 2018, 03:27:15 PM »
F1 finally returns to France this week-end at the Circuit Paul Ricard. The Le Castellet track was opened in 1970. It hosted F1 14 times between 1971 & 1990.

It was designed for use as a test track. That means it has paved runoff areas larger than several European countries.  ;)

Sadly, I won't be around much this week-end. I'll be at Amvets Ohio state convention.

F1 has posted a digital copy of the program for the race:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2018/6/france---free-digital-race-programme.html

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

Re: Grand Prix of France 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:27:20 AM »
I'm not sure quite what happened - England won the football (sorry, for you North Americans, that's Soccer); England whitewashed the Aussies in the cricket (sorry, for you North Americans..... no just forget it...); and I found a F1 race quite interesting!!
OK not much happened at the front but there was proper racing going on back in the pack. All we need now is for the Williams to find a second a lap and we are going to have a really exciting second tier. I can live with a six car front pack and an exciting second pack as long as there is some excitement.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 03:07:35 PM »
I'm not sure quite what happened - England won the football (sorry, for you North Americans, that's Soccer); England whitewashed the Aussies in the cricket (sorry, for you North Americans..... no just forget it...); and I found a F1 race quite interesting!!
OK not much happened at the front but there was proper racing going on back in the pack. All we need now is for the Williams to find a second a lap and we are going to have a really exciting second tier. I can live with a six car front pack and an exciting second pack as long as there is some excitement.

The TV coverage of the 'action' is much better than it used to be in the Schumacher era.  Yes, I'd rather watch 18 fighting with 19 instead of 1st place cruising around all alone.

Certainly Vettel showed how interesting things are with an 'inverted' grid.  I'd hate to lose qualifying, but at some point someone has to realize putting the cars in the order of fastest to slowest will make for less passing.

Offline Calman

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:36:44 PM »
I have to admit, I was dubious before the French GP weekend got underway.  The track looks "visually" hideous, I expected a bit of a procession and a predictable podium/top 10 finishers.  However, that's one of the most involved GP's of the season in my book - helped by the carnage at the start, seeing Vettel & Bottas work their way through the field.  Lots of overtaking, lower teams putting in great performances and generally an entertaining race.   Just a pity we had to finish under a VSC, but I don't think any positions would have changed without it?

As a side note, funny how Kimi lands a podium, as rumours of Charles Leclerc landing a Ferrari drive intensifies!!

Bring on the triple header .... I just may need a lot more booze in the coming weekends!!!  :yahoo:

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 10:40:25 PM »
The race was not the most exciting for me. Too many telegraphed-ages-in-advance DRS moves and too little predictability. If Alonso's engineer predicts rain in 20 minutes time and this is played for anything other than comedy, I expect at least some extra cloud to show up at the requisite moment!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 06:53:18 PM »
Indeed, some of the DRS overtakes was like taking candy from a baby.  Really tough getting the balance right, as one moment, we complain that drivers can't get close enough to overtake and then we experience pretty easy overtakes, like we witnessed this past weekend.   Personally, if I had to choose one option, it would be a tweaked version of the French GP's overtaking possibilities.

On another note, Martin's Grid Walk was a bit of a "nothing event" ... nobody on the grid to talk to, other that a couple of the usual suspects and another quick chat with a chilled out Felipe, clearly enjoying his new ventures away from F1.

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 06:58:18 PM »
Paul Ricard is equipped with sprinklers for rain testing.  They should have turned them on. :crazy: :crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 07:13:15 PM »
Paul Ricard is equipped with sprinklers for rain testing.  They should have turned them on. :crazy: :crazy:

Are you Bernie's secret sidekick Scott?  :D

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 07:32:22 PM »
We've actually had this discussion before Cal.  If the track can't be changed, maybe the conditions should...Monaco would do well to have some hydrants open up at random moments during the race, among others.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 08:54:45 PM »
We've actually had this discussion before Cal.  If the track can't be changed, maybe the conditions should...Monaco would do well to have some hydrants open up at random moments during the race, among others.

I know you're joking, but given that Liberty is looking for extra revenue streams, here's an idea:

the local amusement park has a water ride where spectators can use a coin activated geyser that sprays riders.  (Presumably there to spray your friends/family on the ride).  So, instead of 'random' hydrants, why not sell off the button for the hydrants and let those super rich fans actually add to the race?

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 02:27:28 AM »
... why not let the super rich fans operate one of these at key points of a boring race? .. then we'd be on a roll.

(Step forward by 38 seconds to watch the section in question)

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »

Like to join in the fun Cal but video content blocked in my country due to embarrassment, I mean copyright issues.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle