collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Whitmarsh offers to Step Up amid McLaren Crisis  (Read 3034 times)

Offline Calman

Whitmarsh offers to Step Up amid McLaren Crisis
« on: June 20, 2018, 05:27:01 AM »
What do you read into this folks? ... I know McLaren haven't made the strides they expected in the first quarter of the season, but are things as bad/unsettled in the team as this article would suggest??

Yes, we know a story is only a good story when facts are embellished/strained, but even this one surprises me.  From memory, I seem to remember that Whitmarsh was unceremoniously dropped back in the day (under the pressures from Dennis) ... but I always thought he was a decent bloke, in a similar way to Stefano Domenicali.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/mclaren/news/whitmarsh-offers-to-step-up-amid-mclaren-crisis_328577.html

Oh well, we will probably hear more about this, the Honda situation and a lot more team/driver rumours at the French GP ... as I can't think there will be a lot else to talk about!

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Monty

Re: Whitmarsh offers to Step Up amid McLaren Crisis
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 08:08:19 AM »
I know someone in the McLaren Cars (not F1) division. He tells me that a lot of the staff at the F1 factory are personal friends of Whitmarsh and because he lives locally he is often involved in general conversations with a wide range of the team personnel. My contact says that as far as the staff are concerned Ron Dennis is 'god' and when he stepped in, everyone accepted it, even though they liked Whitmarsh. But when they put Jost Capito in charge the staff were really angry and nothing that has happened since has reduced the anger. Apparently the staff do not rate Zak Brown as a manager or as an F1 man. All 'hearsay' but with the lack of results it would seem reasonable to believe the staff might be unhappy and therefore looking for a 'safe pair of hands'.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 09:57:41 AM »
Sounds to me like Whitmarsh has unsettled scores he's trying to resolve.

I'd never have guessed McLaren could turn into British Leyland with open hostility between workers and the management.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
I would like to see Whitmarsh back.  McLaren are almost like the F1 equivalent of a cult of personality and without one of their gurus, they are flagging.  Zak Brown seems like a great guy for marketing and media purposes (although that continued lack of a title sponsor is shooting down that idea) but as a front man for a team like McLaren, I can understand why the workers might be unhappy.  I hope they do not end up in the Williams downward spiral.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 12:31:44 PM »
I've said I think Brown's days are numbered.  But with nobody obvious in the wings to take over, perhaps another look at Whitmarsh would be realistic.  I didn't really like his role in the ditching of Ron, but there is something to be said for the experience he would bring, and if he is beloved by the staff, all the better for motivation. 

They do have to get on that sponsorship though.  What ever happened to Matt Bishop?  He bailed when the chips were down apparently.  His role could have been moved into a sponsorship hunting position perhaps.  (I'm also perplexed as to why Ferrari has no rear wing decals this season).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »
McLaren really expected that Renault power would put them right up with R/B fighting for 3RD in the WCC. That didn't happen. Turns out their lack of speed in a straight line wasn't all due to a lack of power. Their aero package has fairly high drag...and it doesn't make nearly the amount of downforce R/B's does. Plus, they are still encountering engine reliability issues. Sooo, they are left scratching their heads and wondering what has happened. On top of all that, Alonso has made it very clear if he can't contend for a WDC, he has other goals to pursue. Little wonder there is unrest in the ranks.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »
I'd like to see Whitmarsh return, too. McLaren needs a good shake-up before they are too far gone to be saved.

Just a thought - could Brown end up being side tracked into a McLaren IndyCar effort?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:44:34 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
Just a thought - could Brown end up being side 1 and into a McLaren IndyCar effort?

That would probably be a good fit.

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 07:13:54 PM »
Interesting comments guys!!

I'm sure Zak is a decent enough guy, but he always appears to be the "talk guy" and little more.  It also appears that from footage I've seen on race weekends, Zak and Eric seem to give out that vibe that they don't get along ... although Eric often appears "visually frosty".

I would like to see Whitmarsh back though ... better fit in the team IMHO.

I do hope both McLaren and Williams return to front of the grid SOON!!!  (before we end up with HAAS and Sauber at the front and McLaren and Williams at the back .... hold on, Williams are already at the back!!).

Best Regards,

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 12:53:39 AM »
Sounds like Whitmarsh "touched a nerve" and McLaren respond to calm the troubled waters!

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/18692

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 07:32:40 AM »
For them to formally respond really confirms that.  Martin must be grinning a bit.

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 07:39:56 AM »
Doesn't it though Scott!!

As McLaren focus almost entirely on "pleasing Alonso" .. you have to wonder what they will do and what direction they will take when he leaves the team??

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 09:45:26 AM »
Shock horror - more revelations that the workers at McLaren are more than a bit p*ssed off.
Blimey they have even been discussing striking!  :swoon:
More and more like British Leyland of the 70s, and we all know how that ended.  ;)

https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/06/22/tales-of-dissent-strikes-and-chocolate-bars-at-mclaren/
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 11:01:52 AM »
These latest revelations seem to be completely in-line with the comments from my contact at McLaren cars. He says that some senior staff were also lobbying Ron Dennis to set-up or buy a team so that the McLaren staff could all migrate to a Ron Dennis team.
I know it is 'fanning' the no smoke without fire assumption but it does seem there are some big problems at McLaren F1!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 04:44:25 PM »
These latest revelations seem to be completely in-line with the comments from my contact at McLaren cars. He says that some senior staff were also lobbying Ron Dennis to set-up or buy a team so that the McLaren staff could all migrate to a Ron Dennis team.
I know it is 'fanning' the no smoke without fire assumption but it does seem there are some big problems at McLaren F1!

I have wondered what keeps Dennis out of F1.  Most people who step away (Brawn, Flavio) seem to have other things they can pursue.  Dennis strikes me as someone who needs to be the best of the best, and not many places he can do that outside of F1.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle