collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 369
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: NO Daniel, NO  (Read 2118 times)

Offline sprite

NO Daniel, NO
« on: June 21, 2018, 11:16:32 AM »
Read an article that McLaren are offering Daniel mega millions.
If you want to win that WC, then McLaren aren't the way to go.

Anyone heard this?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/motorsport/daniel-ricciardo-could-more-than-triple-salary-as-rival-f1-team-mclaren-swoops-report-20180621-p4zmu1.html

Offline Scott

Re: NO Daniel, NO
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »
I don't think he'll bite.  What I don't understand from Marko's comments is why DR is waiting for Hamilton to make a decision.  I think Hamilton will either stay at Merc or move to Ferrari (if HE has his choice that is, not sure Ferrari want a prima Dona at the moment). 

IMO Mercedes would be a big mistake for DR to move to.  I don't think they will stay in F1 much longer, especially if they being caught and overtaken by Ferrari regularly.  Ferrari would be the wiser move, and if DR waits for Hamilton to make a decision, the Ferrari seat could well be taken by then.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »
I think Danny Ric is waiting to see how long Lewis signs up for, he may have no intention (or offer) of going to Merc now but wants to synch any new deal with Red Bull/Ferrari/other to leave himself out of contract when the no 1 Merc seat may be available.

I can see Danny joining Macca for a barrow load of cash if he feels the Honda deal is really a stop gap by RBR until new engine regs, or Ferrari is no go.

If you don't stand a chance of winning WDC anyway might as well make loads a cash meanwhile. :D 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »
It is a fascinating situation. RBR is a great team and with Adrian Newey in design, there is always a chance of winning. However, taking Honda power is a massive gamble.
This gamble and the fact that instead of treating Danny as a number one driver (as he deserves) Marko clearly favoured Verstappen at the beginning of the year, could make Danny consider a big money move to McLaren. Obviously this only becomes a consideration if neither Mercedes or Ferrari offer him a seat.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »
I think Danny Ric is waiting to see how long Lewis signs up for, he may have no intention (or offer) of going to Merc now but wants to synch any new deal with Red Bull/Ferrari/other to leave himself out of contract when the no 1 Merc seat may be available.

I can see Danny joining Macca for a barrow load of cash if he feels the Honda deal is really a stop gap by RBR until new engine regs, or Ferrari is no go.

If you don't stand a chance of winning WDC anyway might as well make loads a cash meanwhile. :D

We've seen plenty of drivers move to teams to increase their chance of winning a championship, and it doesn't work out.  There are no guarantees in life or F1, so take the money when you can.

McLaren has to do something though.  They need to prove they're serious about winning again.  Showing sponsors you're going all in on a driver is one way to go (though they've already done that with Alonso so... does that help?)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 05:16:03 PM »
You've got a point Jeri.  I think DR is a sponsor magnet as well.  With that kind of personality (at least publicly), sponsors should be clambering to use him in every commercial they make.

But on the other hand, McLaren used to be infamous about the sponsor demands on their drivers that were all part of the contracts.  I wonder if they still have that sort of culture?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 05:42:24 PM »
I think Danny Ric has to make a conscious decision pretty quick .... Money or WDC?

No matter what any team (lower than the top 3) can offer him, it may satisfy his short term needs, but he clearly doesn't want to go down the Alonso road.  Of course, there is no guarantee that should he end up in a Merc or Ferrari, a WDC is in the bag, in the same way that a lower team can't deliver a championship winning car ... but playing the percentages, I would decline the McLaren offer, if this article is a reliable one??

On top of that, the engine switch will become a nice distraction for him too!!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 08:25:01 PM »
The BBC have also reported on this story now, so it seems to be gathering some momentum.  I hope it does not happen, I feel Ricciardo would be better off at Red Bull even with the switch to Honda.  McLaren are currently in a slightly precarious position and could go either way whereas we know with Red Bull that their chassis is exceptional and with the current improvements Honda are showing, they could be roughly where they are now this time next year at the very least. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »
This sounds like a salary negotiation ploy, not a serious offer. It simply wouldn't pay Daniel to deliberately reveal the McLaren offer this publically (or, for that matter, to Red Bull) if he seriously intended to accept. But if he plays his cards right, it could get him a better salary at whichever team he eventually races for.

It's a bit like how Damon Hill managed to use an absurdly good offer from Sauber to negotiate a better deal with Jordan in 1998, or how Schumacher used a Mercedes/McLaren deal to negotiate a better deal with Ferrari in 2000/2001.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 10:43:56 PM »
As mentioned above, I feel that Danny Ric will stay on with RBR, but not before he increases his stock and salary negotiations by showing RBR that there are serious deals (and decent wads of cash) being offered from at least  2 other teams on the grid. 

Like most F1 seasons, a lot "may" depend" on a couple of key players making moves in the top teams, instigating the F1 merry-go-round in 2019 and beyond.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle