collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 198
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16157 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11273 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Autosport claim Ferrari ready to replace Raikkonen with Leclerc.  (Read 7069 times)

guest3164

Headline kind of says it all.  I wonder if that will be the end of Kimi in F1, I do hope not though. 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/136898/ferrari-ready-to-replace-raikkonen-with-leclerc

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Autosport claim Ferrari ready to replace Raikkonen with Leclerc.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
Well Kimi can't expect to race forever and Ferrari need a succession plan for Vettel sooner or later.

Interesting they mention the price of hiring Danny Ric as too high, guess even the big teams are looking at cost savings going forward.

Reckon "il Commendatore" would posthumously give his blessing as he always felt that it was his cars, particularly his engines, that won the races not the drivers.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:19:06 PM »
Wow, if Ferrari don’t want to spend money on a proven winner vs a gamble on a rookie, F1 is really in a dark place.  I don’t think they would need to shell out like the McLaren offer, I bet DR would practically take Kimi’s reported $10m salary to wear the red uniform. 

I like Leclerc, but I think jumping too early into the Ferrari will be a gamble for his career as well. 

Hope it’s just a silly season rumour.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 04:18:41 AM »
Leclerc looks like a sponsors dream and it
appears he can drive too. I'm finally admitting
as much as I hate that Kimi isn't gonna produce.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 06:14:42 AM »
No, I agree there is little point to Ferrari keeping Kimi (though he’s proven he can bag a podium especially when Vettel’s race goes south).  I just think it’s premature to throw Leclerc in the Ferrari.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 09:38:46 AM »
Just a thought, is this a spoiler put out by the Scuderia in an attempt to talk Riccardo's price down.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »
I think replacing Kimi with Leclerc would be a mistake, too. I wonder if price is the real reason for not going after DannyRic. Maybe Vettel doesn't want a competitive team mate.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 03:09:46 PM »
Ever since Schumacher, Ferrari has had the strategy of hiring winners.  Given that has only given them one championship (and a 'lucky' one at that), I think it's time to change up their approach.  Villeneuve joined Ferrari after a single race.  Lauda had earned a total of 2 career points in F1. 

If Ferrari hires DR (or Hamilton or Bottas) and they don't win the championship that season, heads will roll.  On the other hand, if they hire LeClerc and they don't win a championship, they've still got time to grow.

Honestly, I don't see a race winner replacing Kimi for 2019, unless it's someone who wins their first race in 2018.  (Or Max.  I think Ferrari would take Max.)

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 11:35:38 PM »
As touched on above, I think there could be a lot of "Call my Bluff!" going on in F1 right now.   Teams want the best driver for the least money, drivers want the best drive for the most money.  It's clear which newcomers to F1 are underperforming and it's also clear which drivers are set to ask for the big bucks, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of fake indications passed along to the sport media, simply to shake the sand to the right corner of the box!!!

Right now, I still think Ocon, Gasly and Leclerc (and possibly Sainz Jr.) are "tasty" propositions for top future drives!!! .. while the likes of Hulk, Romain and Checo could simply turn into F1 Journeymen.

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 06:41:21 AM »
Leclerc spun twice yesterday.  Ferrari would not be happy if that was race conditions...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 07:55:48 AM »
Charles is the second time in 8 years that all Ferrari's efforts to have a home-grown driver development scheme have produced a driver that could plausibly be put into the race team in some sort of capacity. Most of their drivers end up falling by the wayside in the junior series because there's little funding component in their scheme. They will be keen to show the performance-orientated approach to driver development works.

However... ..."ready" only means that it is a possible swap. Ferrari are a naturally cautious squad. I still think that unless Kimi spectacularly messes up or retires of his own accord, all this statement means is that if one of the Ferrari drivers was injured, Ferrari would put Charles into the car without hesitation (they would surely have signed a contract with Sauber that made that relatively easy to do). Furthermore, Kimi is capable of being a good backup driver who is also able to obey team orders without question or further comment - a valuable thing for a team that insists on asymmetric team arrangements.

It is that Charles will get a second year at Sauber, or possibly one at Haas, while Raikkonen gets a farewell tour. Maybe, in the end, it'll depend on how much Ferrari trusts chance.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 06:45:25 PM »
I still think that unless Kimi spectacularly messes up or retires of his own accord, all this statement means is that if one of the Ferrari drivers was injured, Ferrari would put Charles into the car without hesitation

I think that's about the size of it, although Charles is continuing to produce on race day and well, Kimi isn't ... apart from the last outing in France!

We all talk about the "Number 2 Driver" ... as Bottas clearly is to Hamilton and Kimi is to Seb, but should Charles land a Ferrari seat in the next year or two, I think he would be challenging Seb all the way.

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 06:56:49 PM »
I still think that unless Kimi spectacularly messes up or retires of his own accord, all this statement means is that if one of the Ferrari drivers was injured, Ferrari would put Charles into the car without hesitation

I think that's about the size of it, although Charles is continuing to produce on race day and well, Kimi isn't ... apart from the last outing in France!

We all talk about the "Number 2 Driver" ... as Bottas clearly is to Hamilton and Kimi is to Seb, but should Charles land a Ferrari seat in the next year or two, I think he would be challenging Seb all the way.

Best Regards,

Must take a lot to impress you Cal.  4 podiums, a 4th and a 6th this year.  Bahrain retirement was a team error, Spain his engine blew.  What's the guy got to do?

I think if LeClerc was handed the keys to the Ferrari there would be far less consistent finishes than that.  He has impressed absolutely, but I think he has some learning before he would be challenging Vettel very often.

Offline Calman

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 07:06:27 PM »

Best Regards,

Must take a lot to impress you Cal.  4 podiums, a 4th and a 6th this year.  Bahrain retirement was a team error, Spain his engine blew.  What's the guy got to do?

I think if LeClerc was handed the keys to the Ferrari there would be far less consistent finishes than that.  He has impressed absolutely, but I think he has some learning before he would be challenging Vettel very often.

True Scott ... Kimi has had a lot of failures beyond his control, but I think Leclerc will mature nicely this season, as he has all the ingredients to be in a top team once he gains more experience.  He may not be ready for a top drive in 2019, but should he keep progressing as he is now, surely he won't miss out on a top drive, like many mid pack drivers have done in the past??

BTW, It does take a LOT to impress me Scott.  For instance, I could sit and watch foam insulation being applied all day long, or the infinity mirror trick, that's a belter!! ... how about them apples eh?

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 07:29:50 PM »
Always been a big Kimi fan.  I think he is still in the top 4 drivers on the grid.  I only rate Vettel, Alonso and Ricciardo above Kimi. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle