collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 479
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Max is Upset no one hates Vettel  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Jericoke

Max is Upset no one hates Vettel
« on: June 25, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11415743/max-verstappen-savages-media-critics-after-french-gp-podium

One of those rare F1 articles where we don't have comments being made out of context.  Max continues to demonstrate he doesn't get it by whining that a 4 time world champion is accorded more respect than he is.

Max is 100% correct that he gets more flack over his crashes than Vettel gets for his, however Vettel has demonstrated he can drive maturely, so he's earned the benefit of the doubt from the press and fans.  I'm sure behind closed doors his bosses are just as p*ssed with Seb as Max's are with him.

I think the weirdest part of this is that we're forced to talk about Seb as the 'mature one'.  Even when he was winning championships that didn't seem possible.

Offline Scott

Re: Max is Upset no one hates Vettel
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
Max has crashed at some point in every 2018 GP weekend except France and Canada.  Maybe that's why the press aren't clambering on about his immature driving. 

Max's lessons on how to make friends in the press.  What a dolt. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:32:38 PM »
Verstappen reminds me of what an idiot I was at that age.
Unfortunately my friends say that I haven't changed much  :crazy:
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:02:55 AM »
The statement was an attempt to joke at the media's propensity to have favourites and "stage villains" (he's regarded as both, by different sections of the press).

Max is trying to develop a dry sense of humour. I recognise the early, awkward signs. The main problem is that he has yet to learn that humour isn't generally taken as humour if it can be plausibly taken as something straightforward. Especially when there are headlines in taking it literally.

Kimi took about 5 seasons to learn this; while some media outlets figured out what a strong sense of humour he has immediately, the British media in particular thought he had no sense of humour. (The British media dominated things then and nowadays, it's the American and British media, which doesn't help a nascent sense of humour's development due to the differences in audience receptivity that reveals). It was only during the first world championship campaign, in 2005, that Kimi got enough practise in front of a British media that they were able to adapt to each other's expectations and British media got to hear the real Kimi.

The other problem is that jokes that rely on the audience criticising itself are rarely seen as funny, or even as attempts at jokes. This is not the first time Max has made this error.

There's a reason it is traditional for British comics to spend lots of time on the regional circuit before becoming well-known across the nation. This is not a luxury single-seater drivers have, and the way humour development works, it's still legitimate to call Max young.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:06:07 AM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle