collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 328
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Another decade before McLaren are competitive again???  (Read 2663 times)

Offline rmassart

Another decade before McLaren are competitive again???
« on: July 06, 2018, 05:50:27 AM »
Zak Brown reckons between 2 and 10 years to turn the team around:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula-one/44725602

Well they haven't won a race in almost 6 years or the constructors in almost 20 (I had to double check this, their last constructors title was 1998). So I can understand they are not in a hurry...

I would go with the upper limit of that prediction, if they don't go bust beforehand. I mean how much longer can they continue to run on their history alone. Their performance has ranged from decidedly average to utter rubbish... they've only finished one race on the podium since Hamilton left them in 2012.

It's sad to see these names become irrelevant to F1. Williams haven't been relevant for over 20 years. They'll both go the way Lotus I suspect, unless the rules can changed to support non-works teams some how.

I wonder how much longer Red Bull can remain competitive, especially if their hook-up with Honda turns bad. That sounds like an outrageous question right now, but for me they are placing all eggs in the Honda basket. Which I can understand since it makes them the de-facto Honda works team and a team can't win without being a works team anymore...

Apologies for my random ramblings, getting too excited by the British GP!!!

Offline Scott

Re: Another decade before McLaren are competitive again???
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »
I posted this as a reply in the thread about Boullier getting the boot.  Don’t you think it was employment suicide to suggest a timeframe like that?  I think Zak will be gone shortly.  F1 teams have turned things around in a season or two.  If Mclaren can’t have the confidence to do it, they shouldn’t be on the sport.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »
I don't think Alonso will hang around another 10
years waiting for a win. My money is on he's gone
after this season
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »
I agree it's frustrating to see a team like McLaren put out a 10 year plan, but honestly, they really have to look at it like starting from scratch.  If it was possible for McLaren to turn it around and win next year, then it's possible for ANY team to do so.  We're happy with the progress Haas has made, but they're already into year three, and no one expects them to get podiums, much less win championships.

McLaren needs to start from scratch to rebuild their winning culture.  I have no idea what that takes in F1, and I'm pretty sure McLaren doesn't either, nor do they have the ability to simply hire someone who does.  McLaren has the same advantage that Williams does though: it is a fairly large company that relies on F1 being the marquee name that drives the business through name recognition.  They can afford to linger in F1 without being competitive on track, although presumably there is some sort of limit on that.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 04:02:07 PM »
Personell changes do not take a decade to implement.  McLaren has world class facilities, perhaps second only to Ferrari.  There is no way they should even THINK about it taking 10 years.  If McLaren are starting from scratch, I would like to see some other teams get to scratch.

I don’t know what shopping in Indycar for new senior management will bring.  I doubt very much.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 04:39:43 PM »
It's simple, Zak has no concept on realistic timelines to raise an F1 team's competitiveness and his comments will hurt a lot of people (inside and outside the team).  It's quite the opposite to the "we can give Fernado a competitive car bla bla bla" and "we expect improvements by bla bla".  So, my personal feeling is that we can confidently say Bye Bye Zak .. and Bye Bye Fernado by the end of 2018.  I would be stunned otherwise.  I have a lot of love for both Williams and McLaren, but right now, I would prefer to see Williams get back on their feet (in less than 10 years Zak!!)

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:06:16 AM »
I can believe 10 years, if McLaren doesn't manage to catch the updraft that regulation changes sometimes make (hence why "2 years" was given as the earlier figure).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 05:40:18 AM »
LH bailed out of McLaren in 2012 with his first season with Mercedes was wining races, McLaren had Mercedes power which was deemed the unit to have but could not win races, could not win with Honda and are now failing with Renault theres only one common denominator here so the problem has been going on for a long time already.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
Both McLaren and Williams started with much younger and hungry men at the helm, they took chances and pushed the envelope beyond the limits and took no prisoners to get to the top.

They can put younger more energetic people in charge but with more and more tightly drawn rules there's no longer the same chance to experiment with novel development concepts. I think rules relaxation is a better subject than fairer money shares to drive lower teams forward.

However I suggest the real problem stems from the fact McLaren & Williams are now such large players in other fields and have such marvellous technical workshops and factories that the shareholders will be reluctant to let a new untried young breed loose taking risks with hundreds of millions in budgets.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle