collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Silverstone Heroes & Zeroes  (Read 3248 times)

Offline cosworth151

Silverstone Heroes & Zeroes
« on: July 08, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
It was one of the better races in some time, IMO.

Heroes:

Lewis - His last-to-second run was a thing of beauty.

Silverstone - A truly classic circuit that still has great racing.

Zeroes:

Sainz - For chopping Grosjean.

Hard Luck Award:

LeClerc - He was on his way to another points finish when he was tripped up by a loose wheel nut.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

Re: Silverstone Heroes & Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:17:44 PM »
Heroes:

Leclerc- Once again driving exceptionally well until his luck ran out.
Bottas- Excellent driving at the front after the safety until his bad run of luck continued and his tyres died a death.
Hamilton- For overtaking most of the field in a handful of laps.
Haas- For having a very good car

Zeroes-
Vandoorne- He seems to be silently having a disappointing season and that continued today.
Grosjean- For causing the Magnussen incident, damaging his car and probably leading to losing the extra downforce that contributed to the Sainz incident (even if both were 'racing incidents').
Williams- For producing a rear wing which made a dog of a car into a dangerous dog of a car.  Fortunately it was changed for the race, but still deserving of zero status. 

Offline Robem64

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 10:20:41 PM »
What a race.

Heroes:-
- Vettel - great start and great overtake on Bottas too
- British weather, for once!
- LeClerc quietly going about his business and had bad luck
- Bottas for a solid effort and undone by tyres

Zeroes:-
- Hamilton for his attitude post race. I'm not a Vettel superfan but he got spun round by Verstappen in China and didn't act like a petulant child. And to suggest that was a Ferrari tactic. C'mon man, if that was the tactic Kimi would have made sure the Mercedes couldn't continue at all. Bad form for me Lewis.
- Grosjean, again for the obvious. Gunter seems to be shaking his head at Romain's antics every weekend now!
- Toro Rosso for poor old Brendon Hartley. When is the guy going to catch a break!
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 03:50:56 AM »
Heroes:
The men and women working in Formula One who don't get all the TV time and name dropping.  It's easy to think of the sport as something that happens for 2 hours on a Sunday, but there are literally thousands of people who are making finely tuned machines for our entertainment.  Given the draconian rules of F1, these machines, from the top of the podium to the back of the pitlane, are truly magnificent, and represent an immense amount of effort, dedication and precision that simply isn't found anywhere else in sport.  The cars running this weekend were as good as ever, and that's not thanks to the drivers, or the men sitting at the pit walls.  The heroes of F1 are in the factories and garages.

Zeroes:
Hamilton's second place finish was heroic, to be sure, but his attitude over the first lap certainly wasn't.  Trying to cover his ass is not heroic at all.

Bottas drove well, but I'm not sure he's a good fit at Mercedes.  His 'bad luck' is a series of gambles that the team makes that just don't seem to work out.  He's a great driver, but he's not with a team that suits him.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »
Heroes:
The men and women working in Formula One who don't get all the TV time and name dropping.  It's easy to think of the sport as something that happens for 2 hours on a Sunday, but there are literally thousands of people who are making finely tuned machines for our entertainment.  Given the draconian rules of F1, these machines, from the top of the podium to the back of the pitlane, are truly magnificent, and represent an immense amount of effort, dedication and precision that simply isn't found anywhere else in sport.  The cars running this weekend were as good as ever, and that's not thanks to the drivers, or the men sitting at the pit walls.  The heroes of F1 are in the factories and garages.

Love this,,,,well said Jeri
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Online Dare

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:19:03 PM »
Right Jeri,now we know why Lewis wouldn't be interviewed
by Brundle,he was still pouting instead of being thankful for
having a car that allowed him pass the field.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »
Right Jeri,now we know why Lewis wouldn't be interviewed
by Brundle,he was still pouting instead of being thankful for
having a car that allowed him pass the field.

Well I heard it was his sore arse from all the bumps in the newly resurfaced track surface Dare.  ;)
He was worried Martin would ask a lot of bum questions - that would make him look less manly.  :D

Heroes :-

Great drive from Lewis, stunning pole lap good but perhaps a fairly easy recovery drive (a dozen places anyways), shame about his juvenile comments which are indefensible.

Good win from Vettel - although I hate him for it, he ruined my GG.  :P

Good recovery drive from the Kimster after making GP3 error on first lap.

Handy drive from Bottas who willingly sacrificed himself for Lewis at end of race. Well his next years contract not signed yet.

Jokers:-

Williams for the sheer brass neck to turn up with 2 old HRT cars.  :DD  :DD  :DD

Zeros:-

Mercedes for using Bottas in effort to get Lewis the win. Can see why, 90%+ of massive, massive crowd at Silverstone were praying for Lewis win - marketing takes precedence.  ::)
Now wait a minute didn't Toto say it would have been harsh for Ferrari to allow Seb to pass Kimi in later stages recently.  :confused:

Grosjean - he's still in F1????  nuff said  :P

Verstappen for continuing to drive a terminally broken car half the track further than he should have, he passed the pit in with a sick car for Christ sake!  Muppet.  |-(
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 03:22:40 PM »
Very well said, Jeri!  :good:

I don't blame Grosjean for the bump with K-Mag at the start. It looked to me like it happened when they were both trying to avoid the Kimi-Lewis incident.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »

Heroes :-

Great drive from Lewis, stunning pole lap good but perhaps a fairly easy recovery drive (a dozen places anyways), shame about his juvenile comments which are indefensible.

Zeros:-

Mercedes for using Bottas in effort to get Lewis the win. Can see why, 90%+ of massive, massive crowd at Silverstone were praying for Lewis win - marketing takes precedence.  ::)
Now wait a minute didn't Toto say it would have been harsh for Ferrari to allow Seb to pass Kimi in later stages recently.  :confused:

Do as I say not as I do or white man speak with forked tongue
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 12:04:50 AM »
Heroes:

Hamilton - sent to last through no fault of his own, ends up second, nearly collapses trying to get water afterwards (because he worked so hard for that podium). If only he could dial back the moaning quotient a little, it would be the ideal drive.

Hulkenberg - for going bold on tyre strategy (hard tyre) and making it pay off really well.

Perez - became penultimate driver after spinning himself and staring at a Williams coming down the pit lane. After that, drove brilliantly with a damaged Force India to get a point despite getting even more damage from a collision with Gasly that was judged to be the Toro Rosso driver's fault (I think that it was merely a racing incident, but car parts don't care who is to blame for their removal).

Zeroes:

Ferrucci - if you've missed the saga of the F2 driver and Haas reserve's woes, I'll spare you. If you're still curious about ]the full extent of it...

Grosjean - hit his team-mate, a few other things and complained a lot. Good thing we know he can do better than this, else he'd be out on his ear. Also a good thing the reserve driver embarrassed himself considerably worse than he did. He may keep his seat for the rest of the season yet...

Verstappen - Mostly for his failed attempt at being a tyre chemist late in the race. Burnt grass makes for rubbish grip. Don't give up the day job.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »
Ferrucci - if you've missed the saga of the F2 driver and Haas reserve's woes, I'll spare you. If you're still curious about ]the full extent of it...

I had missed it, thanks for sharing.  If he's still on Haas' payroll going forward, I'll be disappointed with the team.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »

I had missed it, thanks for sharing.  If he's still on Haas' payroll going forward, I'll be disappointed with the team.

In all honesty this has been accelerated into a shitstorm instead of being dealt with as the delinquent juvenile incident that it is. There's also a cumulative situation that seems to have got several issues into one great big pointless molehill. As far as I'm aware no actual damage was done to Maini's car a bit of wheel banging is as bad as it got. Sure he deserves a punishment but 4 races seems 3 too many for me.  >:( 

I wish race stewards had viewed Vettel's side swipe at Lewis behind a safety car as such a serious issue.

Seems to me Ferrucci, who I agree needs to get his emotions under control and personally don't rate as a driver, is being hung out to dry.

If you follow motorsport this is certainly not the first time younger drivers have been sanctioned for after race kisses or using mobiles - I can't recall such harsh treatment though, perhaps someone knows different. 

How often have we discussed the inconsistency of punishments handed out, hell even Kimi suffered 10 sec penalty at British GP when Vettel only got 5 sec for essentially the same offence at French GP - just 2 weeks ago!  :confused:   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »
A lot of good comments above, but I particularly like this one ... "Williams for the sheer brass neck to turn up with 2 old HRT cars" ... that's an insult towards HRT, Williams are never that good!!!  :DD

Instead of all the driver singling out, I would like to say ...

"Heroes" to laps 42-52.   To see the chase, red, silver, red, silver and RB's as two rear gunners, that was epic and great for all neutral F1 fans - and yes, I am glad that happened at Silverstone in nice warm sunny weather.  The Red Arrows, great to see them at any event, but miss the days of seeing them at air shows in person (especially when flying overhead wasn't restricted due to safety changes).

"Zeroes"  Interviewing Jennifer Saunders and not having the decency to chat with "Th, Th, That was the Dude from Bottom!" and tiresome comments from Crofty and Co, referring to the "Boiling" weather and the occasional camera angles, showing "British Fans" with their patriotic graphics, topless men with beer bellies hanging out, a true giveaway that you are viewing a crowd in Blighty!!! .. oh yes! .. and Hamilton for constantly bitching about the floor on his car and his conduct after the race.  I feel he should have been fined for walking off the grid before the track interviews began, as it was clearly an awkward situation for Martin B.  Yet again, no matter how much PR/Media training Hamilton receives, he occasionally let's his guard down and displays his "spoiled little brat" personality!!

Never mind Ade, we LOVE YOU!!!!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »

In all honesty this has been accelerated into a shitstorm instead of being dealt with as the delinquent juvenile incident that it is. There's also a cumulative situation that seems to have got several issues into one great big pointless molehill. As far as I'm aware no actual damage was done to Maini's car a bit of wheel banging is as bad as it got. Sure he deserves a punishment but 4 races seems 3 too many for me.  >:( 

I wish race stewards had viewed Vettel's side swipe at Lewis behind a safety car as such a serious issue.

Seems to me Ferrucci, who I agree needs to get his emotions under control and personally don't rate as a driver, is being hung out to dry.

If you follow motorsport this is certainly not the first time younger drivers have been sanctioned for after race kisses or using mobiles - I can't recall such harsh treatment though, perhaps someone knows different. 

How often have we discussed the inconsistency of punishments handed out, hell even Kimi suffered 10 sec penalty at British GP when Vettel only got 5 sec for essentially the same offence at French GP - just 2 weeks ago!  :confused:

The four-race ban was for 6 separate offences in the weekend:

- Driving while only wearing one glove

- Driving while using a phone (both were simultaneous and really should have been dealt with formally at the time; it is possible that they were simply fined - I've heard of first-time phone/dress code offences being handled thus - and that it was assumed Santino hadn't learned his lesson, hence contributing to the total penalty)

- Deliberately turning a car into a weapon and hitting someone with it (this is the component Santino has in common with Sebastian Vettel)

- Walking in the pit lane when he shouldn't have been and without regard for traffic

- Skipping the steward's enquiry

- Disobeying a direct order from FIA staff to go to the enquiry without proper cause

The last four happened in the last parts of the race and the aftermath, which didn't really leave much scope for separate handling. Some of the other things that have been reported potentially leave scope for Santino to be taken to international tribunal to have the penalty worsened, should anyone think Santino is ever going to return to a race car.

I would also say that Nikita Mazepin got banned from 2 races (by dint of being banned from the paddock for an entire day) for thumping Callum Ilott in F3, so it's not as if this is the only place where juvenile delinquency has led to heavy treatment. Dan Ticktum also got banned for a year for turning his car into a weapon (albeit the driver he hit had a DNF as a result - not only was the impact heavier, but it was during rather than after the race).

I'm not sure experienced people are dealt with less harshly, so much as they are better at knowing how to break rules. For example, when Fisico decided it would be a good idea to revenge-strike a rival post-race, he had the good sense to wait until he was in IMSA to do it and not stack any other offences onto it, and so "only" got probation for the rest of the season. Only in NASCAR or possibly F1 would he have been treated more lightly for the offence. I still wasn't impressed...

The 5/10 second argument is particularly debatable for someone like me who thinks that Kimi made a simple racing error and shouldn't have been given a penalty at all.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 08:36:20 PM »
F2 & F3 are starting to sound like Saturday night dirt trackin'. 
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle