collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 366
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Sould F1 points system be extended to 15th or 20th place?

Keep present system awarding points to 10th place
3 (30%)
Extend to give points to 15th place
0 (0%)
Take the points all the way to 20th place
2 (20%)
Return to awarding points only to 8th place
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: July 22, 2018, 01:59:52 PM

Author Topic: F1 Strategy Group has discussed plans to revise points system  (Read 5064 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: F1 Strategy Group has discussed plans to revise points system
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »
The question we need answered is why do we need to change the points?  What behaviour in F1 are we trying to encourage/prohibit?

I would suggest it's Liberty that has put it on the strategy group agenda, teams and drivers have to pay FIA for entry fees and super licences according to how many points they scored last season so I can't see why either would want it.
Equally I can't see the FIA putting it forward, it'd be seen as a straight money grab from them.
My best guess is Liberty is too American oriented at present and they are seeking to bring F1 into line with Nascar & Indycars.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:  :fool: s
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 08:27:21 PM »
The question we need answered is why do we need to change the points?  What behaviour in F1 are we trying to encourage/prohibit?

I would suggest it's Liberty that has put it on the strategy group agenda, teams and drivers have to pay FIA for entry fees and super licences according to how many points they scored last season so I can't see why either would want it.
Equally I can't see the FIA putting it forward, it'd be seen as a straight money grab from them.
My best guess is Liberty is too American oriented at present and they are seeking to bring F1 into line with Nascar & Indycars.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:  :fool: s

Well, then I suspect the 'Big 3' would love to go back to the 10-6-4-3-2-1 configuration  :D .

I think that IndyCar and NASCAR would do well to steer clear of the FIA, however, I do like the idea of all racing series using similar scoring systems.  It's a little easier for a casual fan to follow different series if there's no conversion required.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 08:51:32 PM »
NASCAR's is unbelievable. You need a computer and a math degree to work it out. The NHRA is nearly as bad. And both have embraced the stupid "Play Off" end of season championship nonsense.   :fool:
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 11:32:14 PM »

I've never thought any different from the day they took over the sport John!!!! .. and they've never given me reasons to thing any different at this stage in their reign.

As I've said before, Bernie was far from perfect in his business approach to running F1, but he never gave me reason to believe that he centralised his focus on the sport with a "strong British flavour" ... that's the main issue I have, as well as the fact that Carey & Braches would be 'disconnected' without the vast knowledge of Ross Brawn.

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Monty

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 03:34:11 PM »
Leave the points system alone and fix the real problems!!
I guess the only changes I would consider is adding some minor points possibly for qualifying positions; fastest lap and most overtakes in a race.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »
Leave the points system alone and fix the real problems!!
I guess the only changes I would consider is adding some minor points possibly for qualifying positions; fastest lap and most overtakes in a race.

Points for qualification, and then an inverted grid with the current points allocation.

I like fastest lap, but it will look ridiculous with teams trying to save their engines, and then suddenly put in a single lap 2 seconds ahead of pace.  As long as they have to protect their engines, fastest lap points will come across as insults to the fans.

I've also proposed that the scoring system be replaced by an overtake count.  With an inverted grid, the fastest car would have the most cars to overtake.  Pit stops would be more common, as that would give cars an opportunity to rejoin traffic.  Aero rules would favour passing, because that's the only way to win.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle