collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 361
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Sould F1 points system be extended to 15th or 20th place?

Keep present system awarding points to 10th place
3 (30%)
Extend to give points to 15th place
0 (0%)
Take the points all the way to 20th place
2 (20%)
Return to awarding points only to 8th place
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: July 22, 2018, 01:59:52 PM

Author Topic: F1 Strategy Group has discussed plans to revise points system  (Read 5065 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
There is talk of a change to F1’s points system to reward top 15 or even top 20 finishers in each race.

Now is a change a good idea, or will this result in a dilution of the special and exclusive nature of being a Formula 1 points scorer?

Please cast your vote and post your thoughts on why your voting one way or the other.   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Robem64

Re: F1 Strategy Group has discussed plans to revise points system
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 02:37:00 PM »
I voted down to 20th place....lets make all places count...but ensure enough of an incentive in the points difference between places to enourage overtaking to gain places.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 03:22:05 PM »
No option to go back to points for top 6 finishers?

I'm not really sure what problem they're trying to solve.  Are they trying to ensure that cars are repaired instead of simply retiring?  Why not go out 20 laps down to collect 3 points?  I don't see that making the sport safer to include non-competitive cars, but it does mean that fans get to see a fuller field instead of a star driver walking away because it would take 10 minutes to do an engine repair?

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 04:58:37 PM »
All entrants that finish should get some points, as long as the gradient from first to last is reasonable. Deducting points from the constructor's championship for failing to finish would be a good thing also.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 05:03:06 PM »
No option to go back to points for top 6 finishers?

Sorry Jeri, it's been so long since that applied I never thought of it as an real option.

If 85% of the field return to using just one engine make (a la Cosworth) then I guess it might become the obvious option.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 05:56:34 PM »
All entrants that finish should get some points, as long as the gradient from first to last is reasonable. Deducting points from the constructor's championship for failing to finish would be a good thing also.

What about keeping the current system, i.e., points for the top 10, but then deduct points for DNF.  So there's incentive to stay in the race, but no reward for just staying in the race.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »
The trouble with that is that an innocent driver and team could loose points, through no fault of their own, when they get taken out when Max another driver does something stupid.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 07:50:47 PM »
The trouble with that is that an innocent driver and team could loose points, through no fault of their own, when they get taken out when Max another driver does something stupid.

If we're reworking the points system, why not build in the ability to add penalty points:  if a car is taken out by Max bad driving, then the DNF penalty is applied to Max the offending driver.  Even if the offending driver stays in the race, they'd lose points.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
Why do we want cars to stay in the race instead of retiring? DNF's are at an all time low. Why pull a NASCAR and encourage someone with a damaged and possibly slow car to keep circulating? Years ago the points were 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 and that was it. There were some remarkably close finishes in the '60's using this system. If you want to reward showing up, go back to paying starting money, or give everyone on the grid when it goes green a point. IMO there has been too much mucking about with the points systems in virtually every racing series, NASCAR being the most ridiculous. KISS should apply.
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 12:30:20 AM »
Let's be honest here! ... there are much more important issues than "fixing" the points system, so a high percentage of my instincts say "leave it be!".   The only exception to tampering with the current system, is the fact that it's been known in the past where top to mid grid teams experiencing a "bad weekend" or "non terminal" issues with the car, have simply instructed the driver to retire the car.   So .... if points were available further back, that 'may' encourage teams to keep those cars out on track, but for myself, that's the only real benefit I can see right now.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Online Dare

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 02:40:09 AM »
I voted for the 8 because that's what the GG is and it
works great for us. :good:
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »
Leave it as it is, just fix the aero and stupid engine penalties.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 04:06:12 PM »

I don't know why they can't understand fix the aero and
good racing will follow. Don't they listen, And hire some
stewards that know and follow the rules
'
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 05:23:50 PM »
Let's be honest here! ... there are much more important issues than "fixing" the points system

I agree. At this point, changing the points is about as important as rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 03:54:25 PM »

I don't know why they can't understand fix the aero and
good racing will follow. Don't they listen, And hire some
stewards that know and follow the rules
'

The current engine/aero rules clearly favour the leading teams, so naturally they'll want to keep that.  Given they've got four out of 10 votes, they only need to convert one more team.  So giving a back marker team some points as a quid pro quo to support the current rules would be a smart move for the top teams to keep the current arrangement.

I don't suggest it's good for the future of the sport, but it looks good to Mercedes' shareholders that they can press their advantage over the short term.

The question we need answered is why do we need to change the points?  What behaviour in F1 are we trying to encourage/prohibit?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle