collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 352
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: JV:Williams is dead  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Dare

JV:Williams is dead
« on: July 15, 2018, 02:08:30 AM »
Think I might have to agree will Jack. There going
backwards every year

https://www.planetf1.com/news/villeneuve-williams-is-dead/

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Calman

Re: JV:Williams is dead
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 02:18:47 AM »
They're definitely in an alarming position right now, but I tend to ignore JV comments/observations at the best of times, so let's hope they find some answers ... SOON!!!!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
I respectfully disagree with the mouthy one.  Williams are having a poor year, but talk of their demise happens regularly and Claire was not being criticised when the team improved under her leadership.  I need to see a few more years of this level of form before I write them off.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 12:11:36 PM »
Kinda strange ain't it that JV should heap the blame on Claire?  :confused: As Luke says she's been pretty successful, in mid field team terms I mean without works support, over a number of years.

The team's woes seemed to start around the time Paddy came into the picture, sure he has a long record of being a key man in top teams but for whatever reason this time his direction has led the team into this malaise.

IMHO Paddy has become so entrenched in the big team corporate style and funds, he finds the old school - work the base with what you've got and think outside the box for the rest - very difficult.

Not sure what the cure is but writing Williams obituary seems way off the mark to me.     
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »
Me too. I would ditch Paddy long before Claire.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:16:36 PM »
Over the years many teams have complained that their wind tunnel results don't match their real world experience. I think I read that Williams is having that problem. The wing stalling is usually due to the airflow being disturbed or having the wing too flat. Hopefully they will sort it out.
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »
Maybe Williams could borrow Adrian for a small fee?  :D

Seriously though, would I be correct in stating that during Claire W's early days at the controls, Massa and Bottas were battling for podium positions on a regular basis?? ... so clearly, the failure would point at the changing demands of a current day F1 car, rather than general leadership of a team.

I do agree, Paddy doesn't strike me as a valuable asset to the team!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 03:25:12 PM »
Villeneuve IS the expert on choosing the wrong person to run an F1 team.  Loyalty to friends and family isn't something he should fault.

I doubt that Williams is 'dead' though.  I believe their business as a whole can survive the downturn and their history is enough to attract talent who would love to put their stamp in the sport.

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 03:42:13 PM »
I can't take anything JV says seriously - he is always mouthing off about something and his views are almost always rubbish!
No doubt Williams are in a seriously bad position - they have a great engine but still have no performance (slow in the corners + slow on the straights!!).
As far as I know, Paddy has enjoyed his good days when he was part of a management team. He has never struck me as being a brilliant individual such as Newey.
However, as long as Williams get enough money from the sponsors I see no reason why they cannot get back to being a good mid-pack team. To do anything more than that I think they will need a manufacturer to get involved.

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 09:50:45 PM »
I think most people want William's to return to
being a top tier team which doesn't look likely.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
Maybe JV should re-invest the millions Williams paid him to drive a car that could have driven itself to a championship, back into the team that gave him the chance.  In the meantime he should stop pretending to be a journalist unless he learns how to be one ;)

Not a fan.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »
Nicely put Scott  :good:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »
Williams is in bad shape, but it still has life left in it. On the other hand, JV's credibility has been stone dead for quite some time.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 05:46:49 PM »
Jacques Villeneuve was, in my view, the most undeserving Formula 1 world champion of all time.  His subsequent results in less competitive cars and his constant mouthing off about a whole variety of people and issues that he knows very little about also highlight the sort of person that he is off the track.  I think that his various comments down the years say a lot more about him than about the people he is referring to.

Williams is not having a good season on track, but the team has bounced back from such problems before.  The team struggled very badly in 2006 and 2011, only to bounce back in subsequent years.  The car was much more competitive last year and it just seems as though the team has made a serious mistake with the design of this year's car.  I expect a more competitive showing next season.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

guest3164

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 07:51:14 PM »
I think the problem is the perception of there being so many things going wrong all at the exact same time:

Coming last this year on current form.
Losing Stroll and his money.
Losing Martini and their money.
Sacking/losing key personnel throughout the season (de Beer, Wood).
Having the worst drivers on the grid.

Williams have come through bad times and prospered so I can only hope my favourite team manage it again.  I am confident with Lowe on board, despite the abomination the team created this year.  They need an experienced driver next year though to lead from the front on track and that will cost money they don't have. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle