collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 553
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Liberty Media plan to fix predictability  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Robem64

Liberty Media plan to fix predictability
« on: August 22, 2018, 11:24:43 AM »
Oh dear....i dread to think what it might be!

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/19544

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Jericoke

Re: Liberty Media plan to fix predictability
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »
There are plenty of ways to ensure 'fair' racing.  However, they do not coincide with investment from Mercedes and continued support from Ferrari.

I think the sport is scared to continue without those two big names.  (Unless they can be replaced by other equally big names)

The three 'easiest' ways to bring fair competition to the sport would be:
  • Fixed budget - all teams have identical resources
  • Spec design - everyone runs the same car
  • Technology sharing - each team is allowed access to the research done by other teams to copy designs/techniques

I'm not endorsing these ideas, but I'm suggesting they're the easiest ways to close the gap between have/have not teams.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 03:47:00 PM »
I think the best way would be to reign in the complexity.  Primarily aero.  Dumb down the outside of the cars so they can get close to each other and race.

Then look at the engine regulations after we’ve seen what aero changes have done.  Little steps...probably the best way to hold onto the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:29:06 PM »
"Liberty Media plan to fix predictability" ... that was predictable!!

1) What are they going to do, ensure every second car on the grid is sporting a Nascar body shell???  :DD
2) Implement Cheer Leaders at the entry of the pits, for all cars to carefully drive around???  :DD
3) 15 minute "time out, stop the clock" ... and many, Many, MANY more commercial breaks???  :DD
4) Or my favourite, a Mustang pulls along side the leader, where an interviewer like "Ed Winchester" stands on a trailer and attempts to interview the driver at 160mph!!!  :DD
5) All of the above!!!

Credit:  Police Academy, The Fast Show

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »
F1, for most of its existence, has been predictable. There have been dominate cars and drivers regularly. Lotus 25/Clark won 7/10 in '63, Lotus 33 won 6/9 in '65,  McLaren MP4/4 with Senna and Prost, Williams FW14B was so dominate they changed the rules to outlaw it. Any car Schumacher drove was likely to win. Worry about the passing problem and leave the rest of it.
Lonny

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »
I have no problem with teams dominating, but the reliability has become such that they hardly ever break down and the drivers rarely make any mistakes.  This makes the domination feel even more acute than it actually is.  It's the quality of the racing that needs to be fixed.  No more DRS, no more tyres falling off the cliff, no more driving around to save fuel and tyres, and reduced aerodynamic dependency.  The passes need to be meaningful and the drivers need to be going flat out.  Sort that out and the show will be a lot better even if only a few teams win races.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Online Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 07:08:08 AM »
Don't be surprised if the plan to fix predictability increases it.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 07:19:05 AM »
Don't be surprised if the plan to fix predictability increases it.

You mean ... we could eventually be witnessing the Quality Control Team on a Tinned Pea Conveyor Belt???  :DD

Best Regards,

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 08:32:16 AM »
There are plenty of ways to ensure 'fair' racing.  However, they do not coincide with investment from Mercedes and continued support from Ferrari.

I think the sport is scared to continue without those two big names.  (Unless they can be replaced by other equally big names)

• Technology sharing - each team is allowed access to the research done by other teams to copy designs/techniques

I'm not endorsing these ideas, but I'm suggesting they're the easiest ways to close the gap between have/have not teams.

These suggestions would destroy the sport and I would see many, fans, Teams and engineers, walk away and I would be one of them.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 11:17:44 AM »

So essentially Indycars then Jeri.   ;) :D :tease:

It really works for them don't it. :DD :DD :DD
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 04:54:24 PM »
Fixed Budget would be the only option I would encourage! (providing a figure was arrived at, which wasn't a stretch for lower teams to meet).

Formula 1 has always struck me as a VERY advanced Reality TV program, where a bunch of contestants are given a set of tools to design the best bla bla bla, within certain guidelines/timeline.   If Formula 1 ever moved away from this premise, it would destroy the sport completely.  Let's face it, from the 90's until now, a lot of damage has already been done, where I worry that LM could completely 'get it wrong' and put the final nail in the coffin!! ... (as they 'think' they know how to improve the sport and 'take it to new heights' .... but clearly don't have a friggin' clue!!)

Best Regards,

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 08:11:13 PM »

So essentially Indycars then Jeri.   ;) :D :tease:

It really works for them don't it. :DD :DD :DD

You laugh, and yet they cite making changes to appeal to Fernando Alonso specifically.  The same Fernando Alonso who is going to race IndyCar next year...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 11:19:19 PM »
Yeah they might think Nando is a god Jeri, the rest of us know he's just another driver and life goes on in F1.

I followed Indycars the year Mansell left F1 and then won the champ car series, but that was enough.

The hunger for F1 has never died so far but who knows if Liberty cocks it all up. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »
Maybe Liberty might consider choosing its venues on the basis of the quality of racing that the circuit provides, no just the pretty buildings in the background.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 04:42:13 PM »
Maybe Liberty might consider choosing its venues on the basis of the quality of racing that the circuit provides, no just the pretty buildings in the background.

Be very careful with assessments like that, as they will completely confuse Chase Carey & Sean Bratches!!!

"I thought pretty buildings and sparkly lights made the tracks better?"

Best Regards,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle