collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 362
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11252 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Another one bites the dust  (Read 7082 times)

Online Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Another one bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 03:11:33 PM »
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Virginia-Man-Crashes-300000-Sports-Car-One-Day-After-Purchase-488203651.html

It's always funny seeing these people with more money than sense getting their comeuppance.

However, someday they're going to kill someone, and restrictive laws on super cars will come into place.  The manufacturers need to get ahead of it, and enforce driver training on purchasers, of new AND used cars.  Otherwise they're going to find they have no market at all.

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »
Personally, I would make it mandatory, that in purchasing a vehicle which is capable of a certain top speed/bhp, the owner should be eligible to sit an advanced driving test and obtain a road car "super license" of sorts ... or something along those lines.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 08:27:33 PM »
In my opinion a major reason that inept drivers make overly bold decisions, exposing themselves (and others) to painful and expensive "accidents" is that they feel invincible because of all the safety features in modern cars. Padded dashboards, air bags, anti-lock brakes, etc. give a false sense of security. A far better system would have a sharp spear on the hub of the steering wheel instead of an air-bag!
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Online Dare

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 12:12:46 AM »
I think the main trouble is too many horses for the inexperienced
drivers. These cars get away from you in a second. Like Jeri I think
classes should be mandatory. Seems like the insurers would make
it part of getting the insurance
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 07:22:38 PM »
A far better system would have a sharp spear on the hub of the steering wheel instead of an air-bag!

I kinda see what your getting at Luke, lots of us though would have heads like colanders or sieves just from reaching to get our parking ticket stub off the dashboard.  |-(  :o :swoon:  :'( if your system is put on sports cars,  :crazy: :fool:  :D 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:59:45 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD
Lonny

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 01:00:30 AM »
My earlier remark about the “spear in the steering wheel hub” was meant to be a little sarcastic.
But the intent was real. I do believe that passengers should be protected, and pedestrians also.... bumpers should be soft and pillow-like so that anything struck by an automobile will not suffer any harm. Passengers should be wrapped in a protective cocoon so that they will be safe no matter what happens. The driver, on the other hand, should be out there front and center, vulnerable to any painful situation that he might cause. Stated more simply, drivers have to take responsibility for their actions.

In the city where I live, there is no such thing as driver training, the only driver's school closed many years ago due to lack of customers, and maybe the impossibility of the task. So there is no awareness of any normal Rules Of The Road, I call it “freestyle driving”. There is no driver's test, written or road test, you can actually legally hire a person to obtain your driver's license, he takes your picture with his cell phone and will hand you your new driver's license (not counterfeit)  the next day for about a hundred US dollars. Our maid has been driving her own unlicensed vehicle for over 15 years that I know of and has never had a driver's license. There is a local story about a totally blind man who was issued a driver's license.
The amazing thing is the almost total lack of traffic accidents. I attribute this to “Driver Attitude”.

There are few Stop Signs at intersections, so every intersection becomes a courtesy stop. Most streets are unmarked one-way so you have to pay attention, and speed limits are never enforced, but prolific speed bumps solve this. Strangely, traffic lights are religiously obeyed. I am daily impressed how local drivers are obsessively concentrating on the traffic around them, they are never distracted and usually courteous. This my be because they have no insurance or are in some other way averse to official inspection in the event of an accident, or maybe their brakes don't work. Generally the car with the most dents has the right-of-way.
The lack of strict rules actually works well.

Anyone who likes rules care to comment?
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Online Dare

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 02:39:42 AM »
We have rules and laws here and the people drive
like maniacs. Yellows means increase speed and red means
warp drive. Many people don't even slow for stop signs. I stopped
using my turn signals because no one pays any attention to them.
In the new world people do what they want.

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 08:50:53 AM »
Germans and Swiss tend to drive a bit aggressively, but the Italians are downright rude. 

My philosophy for driving has moved to an intimidation stage.  If I’m waiting to make a turn into or across traffic and nobody appears to want to let me in, I wait 4-5 cars and then just go for the next gap, no matter how small it is.  It’s amazing to see people find their brakes and horns so quickly at the same time.  I use my Dad’s old tactic of waving and smiling like they are long lost friends.  Often they wave back, but with only one finger.

:crazy: :crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »
I think you're right Luke, people drive much more respectfully when they are cheating the system. I know from personal experience, having found myself away from home in a borrowed vehicle realising that the road tax has expired, I certainly didn't want to draw any attention so drove like a very polite little old lady on her way to church, for a few days.

I also think this an age/experience thing, for too many years I chased to retake cars who dared to push past me or cut me up, I now find myself helping tailgaters pass me or leaving bigger gaps at crowed junctions or pinch points. Mind you I still occasionally chase safely behind the tailgater matching speed, over a ton if necessary, just to prove I wasn't holding them up. Not really sure they realise that's what it is though, but I still get a thrill from a 'drive on the wild side'.  :D   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 12:42:40 PM »
My earlier remark about the “spear in the steering wheel hub” was meant to be a little sarcastic.
But the intent was real. I do believe that passengers should be protected, and pedestrians also.... bumpers should be soft and pillow-like so that anything struck by an automobile will not suffer any harm. Passengers should be wrapped in a protective cocoon so that they will be safe no matter what happens. The driver, on the other hand, should be out there front and center, vulnerable to any painful situation that he might cause. Stated more simply, drivers have to take responsibility for their actions.

In the city where I live, there is no such thing as driver training, the only driver's school closed many years ago due to lack of customers, and maybe the impossibility of the task. So there is no awareness of any normal Rules Of The Road, I call it “freestyle driving”. There is no driver's test, written or road test, you can actually legally hire a person to obtain your driver's license, he takes your picture with his cell phone and will hand you your new driver's license (not counterfeit)  the next day for about a hundred US dollars. Our maid has been driving her own unlicensed vehicle for over 15 years that I know of and has never had a driver's license. There is a local story about a totally blind man who was issued a driver's license.
The amazing thing is the almost total lack of traffic accidents. I attribute this to “Driver Attitude”.

There are few Stop Signs at intersections, so every intersection becomes a courtesy stop. Most streets are unmarked one-way so you have to pay attention, and speed limits are never enforced, but prolific speed bumps solve this. Strangely, traffic lights are religiously obeyed. I am daily impressed how local drivers are obsessively concentrating on the traffic around them, they are never distracted and usually courteous. This my be because they have no insurance or are in some other way averse to official inspection in the event of an accident, or maybe their brakes don't work. Generally the car with the most dents has the right-of-way.
The lack of strict rules actually works well.

Anyone who likes rules care to comment?

Well written piece Luke...made me laugh all the way through  :good: :DD
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 07:51:05 PM »
Today's Old Guy Rant on this subject:

Why does a generation who feels if necessary to go on 3 or 4 social media platforms to tell the entire world what they had for a snack (with pictures) find it impossible to flip a little lever and turn on a flashing light to let people around them know that they are going to turn?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »
Today's Old Guy Rant on this subject:

Why does a generation who feels if necessary to go on 3 or 4 social media platforms to tell the entire world what they had for a snack (with pictures) find it impossible to flip a little lever and turn on a flashing light to let people around them know that they are going to turn?

Like any generation, they're not a uniform monolith, but actually diametrically opposed.  The ones who are putting their 'thoughts' on any platform that will have them are NOT the ones who aren't using signals.

The ones not using the signals are their opposite. The ones who believe that privacy is the single guiding force in life, to the degree that letting someone know where you're going while driving is abhorrent.

Online Dare

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 01:23:47 AM »
I stopped using signals because no one pays any
attention to them anyway....except some old guys

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle