collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 373
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: German GP  (Read 3648 times)

guest3164

Re: German GP
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 12:03:14 AM »
I have seen it mentioned elsewhere that Baku and Brazil have ‘special’ directives due to the way their pit lanes are located and thus penalties at those tracks are specific only to them, meaning past incidents there cannot be used as precedent for every circuit.

I do think it adds to the air of inconsistency in F1 however.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 01:29:00 AM »
On Sky coverage, Brundle was mumbling something about Hamilton not crossing some line so he was OK. Not sure what he was referring to.

He may have been referring to the first Safety Car line. Technically, the pit entry doesn't start until then, so had Lewis not crossed it, there would have been no basis to charge or convict Lewis with anything except sloppy driving.

Trouble was, Lewis already had crossed the first Safety Car line, so he got a penalty. Yes, it was the lightest possible penalty, but it may not be as minor as it appears because I recall Lewis also got a reprimand in Australia. As such, if he messes up at any point prior to next Australian GP (that race is to be a week earlier than this year, thus within the 12-month window), he'll get a 10-place grid penalty.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 07:29:18 AM »
As such, if he messes up at any point prior to next Australian GP (that race is to be a week earlier than this year, thus within the 12-month window), he'll get a 10-place grid penalty.

Thanks Ali - you have a far better memory than I. Although much easier to accept a 10-place grid penalty towards the end of the season IF you've already won the championship by then.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Monty

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:06 AM »
I keep finding myself defending Hamilton even though I'm not a fan.
The car definitely failed before he hit the kerb during Quali - team agrees, on-boards agree, etc.
Lots of people go across the grass and then rejoin the track. The problem is that Hamilton did it deliberately. The Stewards then have to look at why, and how safe the manoeuvre was. It was clearly due to the team's inept communications and Hamilton could not have been more careful. Therefore a slap on the wrist is all that was required.
I find myself keen to defend him because he drove brilliantly. Cautious but determined in the early laps, then breathtakingly fast. He drove 3 fastest laps while the track was still 'damp' and left everyone else for dead.
All these bad comments about Hamilton and hardly a mention of Vettel's schoolboy error. His accident was frankly pathetic. A slow understeer into the wall. He could easily have allowed the car to spin or semi-spin and probably would have avoided the wall and may well have been able to drive out of the gravel.
Rant over  ;)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 09:40:48 AM »
Monty, good point about Vettel. The Hamilton factor has clouded the fact that Seb threw it away.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »
My comment was made before the race.  Hamilton raced spectacularly and the key moment was when he disobeyed his team and last minute stayed behind the SC. 

I still think he broke the car.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »
My comment was made before the race.  Hamilton raced spectacularly and the key moment was when he disobeyed his team and last minute stayed behind the SC. 

I still think he broke the car.

For me the issue isn't who broke the car, but that Hamilton would set himself apart from the team.  Even if Lewis did break the car, it's got to be designed and built to handle drivers who make a mistake.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter which Mercedes employee(s) made a mistake, they win and lose as a team and I feel that Lewis doesn't embrace that ethos when the going gets tough.  (He's fantastic at spreading the glory when he wins though.) 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2018, 03:44:46 PM »
In a way, this is just what many of us have been asking for. If a driver goes out of bounds, he pays the price with a damaged car. Not enough to cause a shunt but enough to slow it down.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »
For me the issue isn't who broke the car, but that Hamilton would set himself apart from the team.  Even if Lewis did break the car, it's got to be designed and built to handle drivers who make a mistake.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter which Mercedes employee(s) made a mistake, they win and lose as a team and I feel that Lewis doesn't embrace that ethos when the going gets tough.  (He's fantastic at spreading the glory when he wins though.)

I think the hit it took on the kerb was more like hitting a wall than typical bumps and bangs.  It actually came down on a raised kerb directly in the middle of the unprotected bottom, where the gearbox sits.  Not something they can design for without bringing in a welder.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »
I thought Lewis' excursion across the grass from Pitlane back to track was odd but certainly not dangerous, they were under safety car conditions after all. I think the Stewards got this one right with a reprimand.   

Some other drivers may have tried to argue that the car slid out due to the damp conditions and the safest route out of trouble was back to the track, Lewis' deviation at first glance looks a lot like Vettel's gentle glide off the side of the track. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle