collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 351
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Highlights  (Read 10178 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Highlights
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
It's so weird, when you get sports channels, they feel like they have to produce a ton of content so you get 'value', except producing the content costs money, which they have to charge to the consumer.  They could just show the damned races/games, save a ton of money on production, and still make money from fans.

They could - though a lot of the money is tied up in travel costs, so although direct-sport-only is cheaper, giving an entire channel's worth of content is not as much more expensive than it seems, and often easier to market. Even if half of it has to be filled with replays of old races or repeats of darts (as Sky F1 did once).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »
It's so weird, when you get sports channels, they feel like they have to produce a ton of content so you get 'value', except producing the content costs money, which they have to charge to the consumer.  They could just show the damned races/games, save a ton of money on production, and still make money from fans.

They could - though a lot of the money is tied up in travel costs, so although direct-sport-only is cheaper, giving an entire channel's worth of content is not as much more expensive than it seems, and often easier to market. Even if half of it has to be filled with replays of old races or repeats of darts (as Sky F1 did once).

Yeah but you can only buy the whole 6, 7 or is it 8 channel package from Sky,  :crazy:  that's what I'm complaining about Alia. 

I don't want access to 4 soccer channels, Golf, Cricket, Tennis, Darts or the bloody Sports news desk.  >:( 

I just want the F1 channel. As far as I'm concerned they could run a test card outside the days up to and including a race weekend.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 10:13:35 PM »
John I thought you was a old cricket players from way back
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »

Oh Damn! you know me so well, Dare.  :-[

But that don't mean I want to pay money to re-live a misspent youth.  :P

Even when our short term memory is suspect the distant past always seems to be with us.  :confused:  :swoon:

Offline Ian

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35:07 PM »
That's why I'm not prepared to buy the sky sports package John, the only other sports I like watching are MotoGP and rugby union and they're on BT sport which comes with my package.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 06:22:03 AM »
You could always try F1 TV. Not living in the UK, I don't know if it's cheaper or not though, at 7.99 Eur/month:

https://f1tv.formula1.com/

Alternatively you can go for a Bulgarian streaming provider called neterra  ;) , which is what I use:

https://neterra.tv/

It's perfectly legal as it's aimed at Bulgaria's expat community and costs around 5 Eur/month.  Only problem might be the Bulgarian language  ;), but on the other hand you also get access to most European top flight football games and probably a load of other motor racing. Granted, they are in Bulgarian, but just turn off the volume and find the commentary on English radio (the Bulgarian commentary tends to be terrible anyway).

guest3164

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »
Sadly without using a VPN and then setting up a phoney address in another country, F1 TV isn't available to UK customers due to the deal Sky has for exclusivity here.  Which is a shame as it seems the best option for F1 fans.  Which is probably another reason we don't have it, best options don't tend to be available here too often!

Offline Ian

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 10:06:36 AM »
Sure would seem the best option Luke, £2.29 a month.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

guest3164

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 02:37:20 PM »
I'd sign up to it without a second's thought if I could do it easily.  It makes total sense.  Especially after next year when tennis moves off of Sky and goes to Amazon Prime. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 03:52:43 PM »
Switzerland is on the “Ok” list.  I will be cancelling my cable next month.  The kids watch nothing but Netflix and my wife’s TV is her iPad.   :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »
Switzerland is on the “Ok” list.  I will be cancelling my cable next month.  The kids watch nothing but Netflix and my wife’s TV is her iPad.   :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Trust you Gnomes to rub it in.  ;) :D :DD

guest3164

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 07:52:32 PM »

>:D

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »
Yeah but you can only buy the whole 6, 7 or is it 8 channel package from Sky,  :crazy:  that's what I'm complaining about Alia.   

That's because it costs almost the same to broadcast 10 channels as 1 to a given consumer, given that the channels are being broadcast at all and cable capacity isn't being maxed out (neither is an issue in the UK, as far as I know).

There is no incentive to Sky to not offer the whole sports package to everyone. Indeed, the only reason they don't simply offer their entire output to everyone is because they've shown that people will pay more for sports, or for children's TV, or films. They'd only separate F1 if they could prove people would pay more for F1 than for standard + regular sports pack.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »
The highlights on Channel 4 are on at unhelpful times and the adverts are very irritating, but the biggest problem that I have with the whole Channel 4 package is Steve Jones.  He dumbs down the whole programme to the lowest common denominator and his attempts to be humorous are so poor that he merely appears to have absolutely no knowledge of how to present what is, ultimately, supposed to be a serious sporting contest not bad stand up comedy.

I have watched some clips of the Sky coverage on the internet and I think that it is much worse overall though.  David Croft talks all over Martin Brundle, who can barely get a word in edgeways.  The presentation seems very lacklustre to me as well.  I would never pay to watch it, based on what I have seen.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »
The highlights on Channel 4 are on at unhelpful times and the adverts are very irritating, but the biggest problem that I have with the whole Channel 4 package is Steve Jones.  He dumbs down the whole programme to the lowest common denominator and his attempts to be humorous are so poor that he merely appears to have absolutely no knowledge of how to present what is, ultimately, supposed to be a serious sporting contest not bad stand up comedy.

Quite. For those of you who have not had the misfortune of hearing Steve in full flight, here is a sample of one of his attempts at humour:

[voiceover makes reasonable attempt attempt at explaining the early stages of Force India's administration]
[cut to David Coulthard, who looked like he was paying attention, and Steve, who looks like a landed fish]
Steve: What the... DC, could you please pretend I'm a blithering nincompoop for a moment? Could you please explain...
David: [blinks while Steve is asking this]
Steve: [with a disappointed note, interrupting himself] Oh. You made that look easy...
David: It was.
Steve: Could you please explain in simple terms what is going on with Force India?
David [explains it only slightly less straightforwardly than the voiceover, because frankly any 9-year-old with semi-fluent English could have deciphered the voiceover, and there's a limit to how simple some things can be made].
Steve: Sorry. Still confused...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle