collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 354
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Highlights  (Read 10171 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Highlights
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 05:52:10 PM »
But Alia most of us are still confused about the Force India situation.  ::)

Seems to me Szafnauer is quite pleased with the team being put into administration and looks like he's come out smelling of roses after it.  :confused:
My problem is Szafnauer was the main executive in charge of Force India - so how on earth does the man running a company day to day not paying it's bills properly for months, nay years, get to still be smiling and in post?  :DntKnw:  >:(

Was this all due to Mallya & Roy, the culprits we are expected to identify, or are execs like Szafnauer & Fernley just as guilty of allowing the team to get into such dire money problems and possibly trade whilst insolvent?
After all they will have known for some considerable time that the figures didn't add up. How come there's no move to have them disqualified as directors??? :crazy:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2018, 09:31:07 PM »
But Alia most of us are still confused about the Force India situation.  ::)

We can follow a straightforward voiceover. Maybe we cannot say "ah, that's the full story", because it's possible nobody has the full story yet. But once a simple voiceover has been given, it would be nice for the commentators to go deeper, rather than ask to have the simple voiceover given in even simpler terms (especially in situations like that one, where in practical terms said simpler explanation is impossible).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

guest3164

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:21 AM »
Some good news, a deal has been agreed between Sky and Channel 4 so highlights will remain on C4 next year whilst the British Grand Prix will also be shown live on the channel. 

Not a perfect situation, but at least there is some genuine, free to air content in the future. 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138647/channel-4-keeps-highlights-and-british-gp

Offline Scott

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »
I wonder if Ch4 hasn’t realized that their numbers between LIVE and highlights aren’t all that different.  I have to say this year I have been unable to watch more than a couple of Races live due to family or work conflicts, and yet I have been quite pleased with the highlights show.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »
I wonder if Ch4 hasn’t realized that their numbers between LIVE and highlights aren’t all that different.  I have to say this year I have been unable to watch more than a couple of Races live due to family or work conflicts, and yet I have been quite pleased with the highlights show.

The highlights figures have been hovering at 20-30% of live. However, highlights packages are probably a lot cheaper to obtain than live deals, because it's competing with Sky's demand offering of its live race. It is unlikely that many people would opt for the C4 option, given a choice, unless they agree with me that the Sky version is terrible. This makes it worth taking the lower figures, especially since C4 can slot a highlights show around whatever else they have on their schedules. Note their Sunday evening offerings are weak for most of the year, so as long as F1 highlights cost not much more than the equivalent amount of alternate programming, it's profitable for them to take it.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2018, 11:40:34 AM »
It's a lot better than nothing, so it's good news overall.  I would love it if Channel 4 also announced that Steve Jones is being replaced as well, but I guess that you can't have everything.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Robem64

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2018, 01:35:31 PM »
It's a lot better than nothing, so it's good news overall.  I would love it if Channel 4 also announced that Steve Jones is being replaced as well, but I guess that you can't have everything.

With you on the Steve Jones comment - gets right on my nerves. I much preferred Jake Humphrey doing it - in fact I prefer watching Lee McKenzie and Karun Chandhok doing the practice shows (when it's live of course).
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Irisado

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2018, 12:00:35 AM »
As do I.  It's a much more professional presentation for those practice sessions, so let's make the most of the few which remain this year.  The highlights of qualifying tonight saw Steve on some of his worst form yet, which is saying something.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

guest3164

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »
I am wondering myself if the C4 highlights will be from the Sky F1 team given the tie up now between the two broadcasters (C4 gets the highlights, Sky gets access to C4's catalogue of shows).  There had been some talk that Mark Webber might join Sky F1 so that might make sense, also it would make the highlights move even better value for C4. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2018, 10:44:23 AM »

Think Ch 4 is aiming at a wider audience than just us committed F1 nuts Irisado. If we want more people, especially youngsters, to begin appreciating F1 as we do a differing approach is not necessarily a bad thing.

I've seen my young nephews (under 12) paying attention during Steve segments but losing interest after half a dozen laps of the actual race. Even one of my own sons (30ish) finds it hard to stay interested during some of the in race commentary, but says Steve brings a different perspective from all the experienced insiders.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2018, 06:47:06 PM »
I don't pay attention to most of the races because they are so boring that the commentators don't have anything to talk about John, so it makes perfect sense that your family are having similar reactions.  I bet if they were watching older races with Murray Walker and James Hunt commentating or Murray Walker and Martin Brundle commentating, where there were all sorts of incidents most (I admit not all) weekends, they'd all be hanging on the commentators' words.

As for Steve appealing to a younger generation maybe he does.  I'm 36 though and I never found him funny when I was the right side of 35 either.

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2018, 09:01:26 PM »
I think Steve might appeal to a particular segment of the younger generation, for the "younger generation" is more segmented than either "my" generation or the generation above me was at that age.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle