collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 376
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is the WDC a big deal  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Dare

Is the WDC a big deal
« on: July 23, 2018, 12:55:32 PM »
With Ferrari and Mercedes not allowing Kimi and
Bottas a fair shot at winning and RB having off years
just how big a deal is the WDC in a 2 man race.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: Is the WDC a big deal
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »
If I was Kimi, I would tell them to fax my new contract to my management and then I’ll let Vettel past ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Robem64

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 01:24:21 PM »
If I was Kimi, I would tell them to fax my new contract to my management and then I’ll let Vettel past ;)

Love it
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »
Between Hamilton desperately pushing his car and qualifying, and Vettel's trembling apology to his team for crashing out, these two men are putting everything they have into the championship.  Having numerous contenders for the championship is exciting, but having this much passion and drama is what sport is truly about.

Honestly, it reminds me of Mika breaking down in Italy and trying to hide from the Tifosi in the bushes.  It's not about pretty passing, clever pit strategy.  It's not even about designing the 'perfect race car' which 'falls apart 1 foot past the finish line'.  It's the drivers who are willing to push, so that they themselves fall apart 1 foot past the finish line.  We haven't had that in a few years, and I'm glad to see it back in the sport.

So yes, the WDC for 2018 is very important to these two men, to them it's more important than anything.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 03:32:06 PM »
Still, this is much better than the early days of F1. Drivers in contention for the WDC often took over a teammate's car during a race if their car failed.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »
To be fair, if Kimi had the points lead, I believe they would ask Seb to move over.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 06:14:10 PM »
To be fair, if Kimi had the points lead, I believe they would ask Seb to move over.

That might come to pass if Seb stuffs up a few more times.  ;)

Returning to the topic though it's only ever been 2 or 3 in real contention for the WDC, the FIA threw some big names into a panic when they outlawed team orders however teams easily got round that by making sure the 2nd driver knew exactly what his role was.  |-(  |-( 

Historically some years one car was so far ahead of the rest of the field with a 2nd class or nobbled teamate it became a 1 horse race for the title: - think.... Hakkinen-/Coulthard,    Prost-/Hill,   Schumi-/Jos Verstappen/Herbert/Barichello or Massa. 

For me road Cycling is perhaps even worse than F1, in the tour de France all the team members are expected to assist the chosen top dog rider even if it means they burn out and can't complete the race. In reality it usually become a contest between 2 or 3 riders after a week for the end win.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle