collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 362
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ocon Move?  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Robem64

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Scott

Re: Ocon Move?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
Makes me more curious about where Sainz would go.

I like the idea of Team Canada though...  :crazy: :crazy:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:44:45 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 12:53:13 PM »
Makes me more curious about where Sainz would go.

I too am happy, if it is away from Williams  :tease:

Some gossip that Sainz might end up at McLaren, either alongside or instead of Alonso. 

I love silly season.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 03:22:05 PM »

Schmidt Peterson in IndyCar is running James Hinchcliffe (Oakville - a suburb of Toronto where Ford Canada is based) and Robert Wickens (Guelph - an upjumped farming community about an hour from Toronto) as a sort of Team Canada. 

Hinchcliffe replaced Danica Patrick as the face of GoDaddy (he's a very charming fellow).  Wickens raced respectably in DTM for Mercedes before they pulled out.  Either driver would be a good non-Quebec choice for a 'team Canada' driver.  I don't know that they'd ever be top F1 drivers, given their ages, but they'd be solid additions to the grid.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:43:57 PM »
And they could have Red Green as Designer/Race Engineer.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 03:53:31 PM »
And they could have Red Green as Designer/Race Engineer.  ;)

Steve Smith (the comedian who created/plays Red Green) actually studied engineering at the University of Waterloo, the most prestigious engineering school in Canada.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 04:03:45 PM »

Schmidt Peterson in IndyCar is running James Hinchcliffe (Oakville - a suburb of Toronto where Ford Canada is based) and Robert Wickens (Guelph - an upjumped farming community about an hour from Toronto) as a sort of Team Canada. 

Hinchcliffe replaced Danica Patrick as the face of GoDaddy (he's a very charming fellow).  Wickens raced respectably in DTM for Mercedes before they pulled out.  Either driver would be a good non-Quebec choice for a 'team Canada' driver.  I don't know that they'd ever be top F1 drivers, given their ages, but they'd be solid additions to the grid.

Nice thought Jeri but do either have enough qualifying points for an F1 super licence?  :DntKnw:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:12:28 PM »

Nice thought Jeri but do either have enough qualifying points for an F1 super licence?  :DntKnw:

Yes, their results in Indy and DTM respectively would allow them into F1.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »
Looks like Perez is imminent now to stay with Force India so presumably a Perez/Stroll driver pairing.

Leaves Ocon needing a new team......options ever more limited which is a shame as I really rate him as a driver.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 05:07:45 PM »
Looks like Perez is imminent now to stay with Force India so presumably a Perez/Stroll driver pairing.

Leaves Ocon needing a new team......options ever more limited which is a shame as I really rate him as a driver.

If Ocon is left out in the cold, this again demonstrates how crazy F1 has become.  He is a talented driver and has outperformed Perez most of the time.  It would be a travesty if these young drivers don't climb the ladder, purely as there are little seats to choose from!!!!

It used to be that if you didn't deliver, you are out!!! ... but things are clearly getting tougher than ever, to hold onto a drive.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 05:23:25 PM »
By out performed Calman are you including point scoring?  :P
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 05:47:44 PM »
By out performed Calman are you including point scoring?  :P

Indeed, I forgot about the 1 point difference between them - so forget what I said, Perez is the best, the man with the bigger chest, he is the man for the job, so let's just call him Bob!  :DD

Best Regards,

Offline Calman

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 02:59:36 AM »
For once (although there may be invested interest or political purpose in his comments???) .. I have to agree with Hamilton's latest comments towards Esteban Ocon's excellent showing in Qualy today!!!

https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/25/exceptional-ocon-deserves-f1-seat-over-pay-drivers-hamilton/

It certainly puts pressure on the "Paid Driver" system and may force alterations, as it would simply be wrong for Ocon to loose his seat in F1 (or at least a half competitive team).  He appears to be a heck of a nice guy, young, talented and capable of outperforming half of the grid, given the right equipment.  If he ends up at Williams or McLaren, it would be a dreadful shame - as even Simon Lazenby on Sky Sports, muttered something about a "backward move" ... should this outcome be his only option for next year!!

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 01:55:16 PM »
But it was a soaking wet track...which plays to luck of timing more than talent.  He and Perez are fairly close in speed I think, but Perez is a more rounded driver.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 05:22:26 PM »
Perez was a up and coming driver that his dream
drive at Mclaren killed his F1 future. I'd like to see
him at Ferrari.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle