collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 339
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: H & Z Hungarian GP  (Read 3905 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: H & Z Hungarian GP
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »
Come on, that was nothing like the chop Vettel did on Webber, no way you can compare it, back in the days when Vettel behaved like Max. 

Nobody knew the condition of Bottas’ car better than Bottas, why is it the job of other teams and drivers to tip toe around him??  Vettel was on the race line while Bottas was never going to successfully complete a late braking maneuver.  Ricciardo passed on the outside with plenty of room for Bottas to even competitively go through the corner with him, again, as long as he wasn’t planning to run deep.  Heaping praise on Bottas after two crashes that he caused is bizarre.

We'll have to disagree then Scott. However my main thrust of argument is both Vettel and Danny Ric could have used the incredible fast thinking & reasoning, that we're told F1 drivers possess, to give Bottas wounded/tyre limited car a wider berth than normal.

To finish anywhere in the points you must first finish!

Risking a DNF, by not giving a bit more room when overtaking in the later stages. is just criminal if you have speed/grip advantage or both.  :P

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 01:49:00 PM »
I’ll concede that Vettel took a “don’t look back” line into the corner, but DR gave Bottas enough room to scoot inside with enough room leftover for Wizzo to take his Caterham through 3 wide.  Bottas panic attacked and almost took them both out - but I guess what you are saying about first finishing and driver intelligence doesn’t apply to Bottas when he’s on chewed up tires and a broken wing.  Throw it all away just to try desperately to hold on to one more position?   :crazy: :crazy:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 03:40:13 PM »
I also concede Valtteri, who for my money is not WDC material - if he ever wins the championship it will be in a much superior car with a weak/unlucky teammate - shares blame for being over zealous on shredded tyres. He also knew he would lose places and good points in both events, so red mist may have clouded judgement of course.   

However it's because I know both of the other 2 really are world class, I expect much better/clever race craft, and I hope the rest of us do too, than they both displayed when passing Bottas.

I reiterate: - to finish in good points first you must finish!
All world champs will accept that, even JV. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 02:28:17 PM »
Heroes

Sergio Perez for putting Force India into administration. Now there's a sentence I'll never type again!

Marcus Ericsson for going above and beyond to make sure every fan (and a bunch of not-really-fans-but-were-in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time) got something signed or a happy memory made, when doing his "Meet the Fans". Some other drivers did as expected, but he went above and beyond.

The energetic fans from all over Europe who congregated on the Hungaroring and made it so much fun to be there. Even when we didn't really have a common language (I don't speak Swedish/Dutch/Polish/Finnish, half the time they didn't speak English (apart from the Finns, who were invariably near-fluent) and nobody spoke Hungarian except the Hungarians themselves), we had motorsport allowing us to converse. And I'll treasure learning the meaning of having pokora forever.

Honourable mention: Kimi for getting through the race with no drink without going to hospital. As someone who failed in that task despite being a) a spectator and b) drinking at least 2 litres of water in the build-up to the race, I salute you.

Zeroes

35 C temperatures and ridiculously high humidity. The many people who drank too much alcohol and were sick afterwards will not thank Hungary for its weather, and I won't thank the weather for my heatstroke either.

Whoever scheduled Valterri Bottas' "Meet the Fans" in such a way that he had to hurry to make qualifying briefing afterwards. It meant he couldn't do it properly, wasn't allowed to sign autographs, had a disrupted preparation for qualifying and may have indirectly wrecked his weekend (if I have interpreted analysis of his subsequent on-track performances correctly). One might argue that racing drivers should be more resilient, but entertainment organisers should remember that we like racing drivers because they are... racing drivers, and plan accordingly.

The people who charged more for 500 ml of water than a pint of beer. Really?!? (I know, there was free water at the toilets and this was the officially-recommended solution... ...but that's no help when you're only allowed to bring one 500 ml bottle to the track and people not using the F1 buses faced a 3.5 km walk back to the train station!)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:49:30 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 04:32:32 PM »
It sounds like F1 promoters are pretty much the same everywhere. (except central Indiana, of course  ;)  ).

This is the first time ever I can recall Kimi making news for not drinking.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
The people who charged more for 500 ml of water than a pint of beer. Really?!? (I know, there was free water at the toilets and this was the officially-recommended solution... ...but that's no help when you're only allowed to bring one 500 ml bottle to the track and people not using the F1 buses faced a 3.5 km walk back to the train station!)

Sounds like Monza except no drinking water (or even hand washing water) by any Porto-potties that I saw there.  Spain was much more civilized (proper washrooms), but the beer was more expensive than the water  ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 08:07:05 PM »

Sounds like Monza except no drinking water (or even hand washing water) by any Porto-potties that I saw there.  Spain was much more civilized (proper washrooms), but the beer was more expensive than the water  ;)

Also, nowadays, the Spanish GP only sells zero-alcohol beer. For those of you planning your holidays...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle