collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Why aren't Eng and Amer accents the same?  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Calman

Re: Why aren't Eng and Amer accents the same?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 07:16:29 PM »
Inept assessment in my opinion.  This article is full of holes and generalities.   For a kick off "America and England" ... which in the context of the article, is clearly wrong.   North America & United Kingdom, would be the accurate labels for such an article.  If it wanted be specific, even England & United States (with the appropriate flags would have sufficed!!).

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 05:18:44 PM »
I have a problem with the idea of American" and "British" accents. I'm a native Appalachian who lived in New York City for a few years. An outside observer might have a hard time believing those two accents come from the same country. I think it's pretty much the same with Londoners and Liverpudlians, for example.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »
You've got a point Cossie however all of the N American continent speaks with a different accent to any you'll find in the British Isles. Although I'm willing to believe that it's hypnotics not rhotic in the case of the US west coast.  ;)

Then there's those Aussies and Kiwis, they'll swear that they both have different accents to each other but again both are different to Britain or N America.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Dare

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 03:17:11 PM »
There's one for the US too. How accurate is this John

http://www.playbuzz.com/hannahfox10/can-we-guess-where-in-the-uk-youre-fromftp://

Not bad Dare, even though I threw it a curved ball or two it still guessed my origin to within 30 miles, which ain't bad for Britain.  ;)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 11:05:11 PM »
I did both quizzes even though I do not live in the US or the UK now come to that but was born in North London and the quiz selected London and the US quiz selected the East Coast which is as close to London as could be I suppose.

As for accents it has always be said "The UK & US as separated by a common language!"
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 11:22:03 PM »
I did both quizzes even though I do not live in the US or the UK now come to that but was born in North London and the quiz selected London and the US quiz selected the East Coast which is as close to London as could be I suppose.

As for accents it has always be said "The UK & US as separated by a common language!"

It says I'm from the Midwest and it's right

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 02:18:18 PM »
I have a problem with the idea of American" and "British" accents. I'm a native Appalachian who lived in New York City for a few years. An outside observer might have a hard time believing those two accents come from the same country. I think it's pretty much the same with Londoners and Liverpudlians, for example.

Yes. There are a lot of call centres in this part of the UK precisely because the local accent is considered the most neutral in the country (to the point where I rarely get through a week without someone confusing me for an answering machine or automated message system). We sometimes have trouble understanding people from the North-East of England, the Highlands of Scotland and Northern Ireland, but otherwise have unusually low levels of interpretation trouble, according to my boss.

Took the UK one, and got thrown by some of the answers (Where's the pasta option? Who are any of these celebrities? There's more than one way to describe precipitation!) Also, I am definitely not a Londoner... Also, if I was American, I'd apparently come from the South.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 09:27:55 PM »
I watch a film from Scotland once and it had
subtitles,and it needed them.

Used to bowl with a lady from Scotland and understood
her perfectly until she turned on the Scottish brogue. Once
made the mistake of calling Scot's Scotch. She didn't hesitate
to tell me Scotch is a drink not people from Scotland.

To say you all without thinking about it is a giveaway where your from

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »
Even F1 has it's own dialect, how many of us ever thought the phrases like 'for sure' belonged in English dialogue.  :crazy:
Not only that but David Coulthard has his own dialect going on, to him locking the brakes is 'under rotation'.  :fool:
Don't believe me count how many times he uses it in a race commentary - you'll run out of fingers and toes.  :D 

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 12:35:53 PM »
Even F1 has it's own dialect, how many of us ever thought the phrases like 'for sure' belonged in English dialogue.  :crazy:
Not only that but David Coulthard has his own dialect going on, to him locking the brakes is 'under rotation'.  :fool:
Don't believe me count how many times he uses it in a race commentary - you'll run out of fingers and toes.  :D
[/quote

Another one is Vettel. He will say a sentence then say yes and then
finish what he's talking about, yes,I've heard others do it too

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 01:09:03 PM »
Also why do F1 people go on about 'making a step' so much when they mean making substantial improvement.  :DntKnw:

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 08:56:48 PM »
F1 is definitely its own language. On the F1 buses in Hungary, there were Finns, Poles, Dutch people and me talking about F1 happily despite not really having a "conventional" language in common (though everyone on the bus understood "for sure" in English).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle