collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 361
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ricciardo to Renault  (Read 5108 times)

Offline Monty

Ricciardo to Renault
« on: August 03, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »
I have to say I am surprised. However, he clearly wants to drive for a manufacturer and Renault has the only available seat. I think Marko has shown that he clearly prefers Verstappen so perhaps Ricciardo didn't feel appreciated!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Ricciardo to Renault
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 01:40:06 PM »
I'd say it may be about the money as well, Red Bull are not known for big pay, Verstappen excluded - which in itself is an issue for Daniel.

Can't blame him as RBR have always had their pets, Vettel over Webber and now Mad Max over Daniel, so a fresh start at Enstone is probably a good thing for him.

This will turn the driver market upside down again as Ocon and Sainz will now not be so sure of where they'll end up.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 03:32:41 PM »
It's official. Here's the announcement from Renault:

https://www.renaultsport.com/daniel-ricciardo-joins-renault-sport-formula-one-team-from-2019.html?r=331

That is the last seat on the grid I wanted to see him in. Now my favorite current driver is at the biggest rival to my favorite current team.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 08:37:01 PM »
It's official. Here's the announcement from Renault:

https://www.renaultsport.com/daniel-ricciardo-joins-renault-sport-formula-one-team-from-2019.html?r=331

That is the last seat on the grid I wanted to see him in. Now my favorite current driver is at the biggest rival to my favorite current team.

I've developed a bit of a soft spot for Enstone.  They've gone through more chaos than most teams on the grid  (Although the path from Tyrell to Mercedes had a few low points) and just keep plugging along. They haven't really been embarrassingly bad since the 1980's Toleman era.

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »
I'd say it may be about the money as well, Red Bull are not known for big pay, Verstappen excluded - which in itself is an issue for Daniel.

Yes indeed.  Clearly, Max's pay packet was based on a projected "the next big thing at RBR!" ... but clearly with all his 'incidents' and race weekends where Danny had produced better racing, better overtaking and better results, well, you can't blame Danny Ric for feeling a clear #2 on the pay grade alone!!

Hopefully onto better things at Renault in 2019.  I look forward to seeing all the seats confirmed as we move closer to the end of this season!!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 05:33:20 AM »
I agree, though I think it is more about the money he was not getting as opposed to what he will be getting.  Marko and Horner have thrown all in for a reckless boy with some twinkles of talent.  I wonder if Dieter will be on the phone with either of them this weekend chewing off an ear for letting DR escape.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 02:57:27 PM »
I think Red Bull's obsession with Verstappen has cost them their best shot at a world title since Vettel. Daniel could only take being unfairly shaded for so long, and now had to do something - anything - to retain his self-respect as a racer and make something happen for his career. I don't think Sainz will be happy about swapping seats with him (which I think is more likely than a Gasly promotion), but I'd like to think Daniel will at least get the satisfaction of knowing Renault has no backroom agenda against him.

Nico Hulkenberg, on the other hand, may now be a bit uncomfortable.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 01:54:56 PM »
I think Ali is about spot-on.
The way Marko refuted the suggestion that Verstappen would veto Sainz came across like 'he doth protest too much!' which probably means Max has vetoed Carlos!
The Hulk has been driving really well and knows the car inside out. Daniel will need to beat him very early in the season to make claim to a 'number one' driver status.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
Horner - We gave him everything he wanted, blah blah, such a bad move for him at this point in his career, blah blah.  I used to really like Horner, but these past couple of years he has simply become a mouthpiece for Marko.

DR will be happy that chapter is over, no matter how the Renault team end up doing next year.

https://www.pitpass.com/62604/Horner-Daniel-didnt-want-to-play-support-to-Max

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
I think it boils down to Daniel was tired of the BS. It wasn't
hard to see who Marko and company were favoring. He's gonna
have a hard time but best wished for success.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 11:45:52 PM »
It's sad to see world class drivers like Danny Ric have to create deals with anything less than a world championship team, but I 'sort of' see his reasons for moving to Renault.   Let's hope that Renault do grow in strength and witness Danny & Hulk push each other hard, before any team orders are put into gear!!

Best Regards,
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 08:08:51 PM »
The way Marko refuted the suggestion that Verstappen would veto Sainz came across like 'he doth protest too much!' which probably means Max has vetoed Carlos!

Max can't possibly have vetoed Carlos... ...no way would Marko allow anyone other than himself that power. Which is not the same as saying Marko hasn't used it against Carlos ;)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 09:06:20 AM »
It's sad to see world class drivers like Danny Ric have to create deals with anything less than a world championship team, but I 'sort of' see his reasons for moving to Renault.   Let's hope that Renault do grow in strength and witness Danny & Hulk push each other hard, before any team orders are put into gear!!

Best Regards,

I think you’re forgetting that RBR have Honda’s next year.  All could very easily go south for RBR and Renault will at the very least make a step up with regards to talent.  DR could have made a good move.

guest3164

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 09:21:18 AM »
It's the most sensible move for Ricciardo if he has had enough of the atmosphere and Max-mania at Red Bull.  He goes to the only available factory outfit and will be their lead driver and have a very solid, un-confrontational team mate alongside him.  Just think he'll look odd in yellow  :D

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 08:44:17 AM »
I think you’re forgetting that RBR have Honda’s next year.  All could very easily go south for RBR and Renault will at the very least make a step up with regards to talent.  DR could have made a good move.

I agree entirely. Personally I think the problem with the Honda in the McLaren was 'packaging'. Two teams that are famous for making the smallest and most aerodynamic cars are McLaren and RBR. Renault have already said that their power unit failures can be attributed to the RBR packaging. Therefore, this could be an on-going problem when they move to Honda.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle