collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 83
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11271 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kimi and[ahem] team orders  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Dare

Kimi and[ahem] team orders
« on: July 22, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
Kimi knew what they wanted but I guess he wanted the
rest of this to know too. Welcome to Ferrari Charles

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/24167353/kimi-raikkonen-ferrari-team-order-radio-exchange-full

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Kimi and[ahem] team orders
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
Why not? Mercedes flat out told Bottas to 'hold position" when he tried to pass Lewis after the SC.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 10:06:35 PM »
Why not? Mercedes flat out told Bottas to 'hold position" when he tried to pass Lewis after the SC.

All I'm saying is if your a young and upcoming driver how can
you show your true talent if your no allowed to or a ready to move
on old driver like Kimi. Too many being treated like a Rueben's for my
liking
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 01:25:41 AM »
The worst of it was that, even in this era when open team orders are allowed, Ferrari couldn't say it. That suggests to me they're scared Kimi will give them no other options by walking out on them at season's end (which, at best, would leave them open to having to pay Charles more than they might think he is worth for his services).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:10:36 AM »
I felt really sorry for Kimi - we all know that his tyres were much older than Seb's but he was easily keeping over 1 second ahead. If Seb couldn't even get within DRS it seemed grossly unfair to make Kimi drop behind him and therefore wreck his older tyres even more.
If two cars are battling so closely that there is a risk of them crashing, I can understand a team telling one to hold back, but I hate it when the decision is just about maximising points for one driver. I guess I just have to accept that F1 is a team sport  :(

guest3164

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:23:50 AM »
The worst of it was that, even in this era when open team orders are allowed, Ferrari couldn't say it. That suggests to me they're scared Kimi will give them no other options by walking out on them at season's end (which, at best, would leave them open to having to pay Charles more than they might think he is worth for his services).

I think you are very right about them worrying that Kimi will walk.  Talk is now that the new management (best wishes to Sergio Marchionne) want consistency next season due to the management upheaval and prefer to have Kimi race again for Ferrari. 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »

It goes to show how much mental capacity Kimi has for racing.  He's turning in some of the fastest laps on worn out tires, and he's simultaneously negotiating next year's contract on an open radio channel.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 07:08:05 PM »

All I'm saying is if your a young and upcoming driver how can
you show your true talent if your no allowed to or a ready to move
on old driver like Kimi. Too many being treated like a Rueben's for my
liking

They issued the Bottas order after Lewis had seen off Valtteri's attempted surge.

IMHO they issued the hold order to Bottas as they knew Lewis would never let him pass with a win so close, they feared Hammy would collide rather than allow Valtteri through. Lewis had already disobeyed the pit call to get in position for the win, now would he really give it up?????  :nono:  :nono:

They wanted a 1-2 finish in front of the Merc top Brass and workers - not 2 DNFs. Heck the Merc chairman even took a drenching from champers on the podium they were so pleased.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 12:10:33 AM »

It goes to show how much mental capacity Kimi has for racing.  He's turning in some of the fastest laps on worn out tires, and he's simultaneously negotiating next year's contract on an open radio channel.

And obfuscating this enough that the commentary team misses all of the above - while still being able to say, completely truthfully, that it was the other side of the conversation that was being needlessly vague  8)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 07:12:05 AM »
For me there is also a very real difference between telling drivers to hold position a few laps from the end to telling the leading driver to let the guy behind through. I know they are both team orders but the effect is quite different in my view.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 04:01:25 PM »
For me there is also a very real difference between telling drivers to hold position a few laps from the end to telling the leading driver to let the guy behind through. I know they are both team orders but the effect is quite different in my view.

Keeping in mind, from a purely technical point of view, close running F1 cars seem to burn through their tires quickly.  Vettel was being a good boy and not trying to pass Kimi.  Vettel certainly could have, and if you let the racers race (as I'd love to see as much as anyone), it would have been a fight and Kimi would definitely have had problems with his tires.  Letting Vettel through was the best way for Kimi to maximize points.

I imagine that Kimi (and Vettel) would love nothing more to have a straight up fight, in the same machine, the same tires.  That's why you get into racing, after all.  They both showed a tremendous amount of professionalism, even if it wasn't very entertaining.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle