collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 351
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Fernando Decides At Last  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Robem64

Fernando Decides At Last
« on: August 14, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
He's retiring from F1 - another seat opens up

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45188028

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Scott

Re: Fernando Decides At Last
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 04:44:58 PM »
That’s a shame.  I don’t think I will follow him to whatever series he takes part in though.  The Toyota joke in LMS left a sour taste in my mouth.

I wonder if a call came into RBR last week before his management put together this announcement.  Honda power might have given him pause though.

His legacy will always be partly that of poor choices and some bad luck.  The different tangents his and Lewis’s careers have taken since that Annus Horribilis at McLaren must wake him in a sweat some nights.  He should have done what he could to stay at McLaren and best that punk Lewis in the track, not in the politics.

I still rank him as probably one of the best of the modern era, but most of the last decade was just talent wasted.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:46:48 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Irisado

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »
Unquestionably the best driver of the post-Schumacher era for me and the only driver to beat Schumacher in a straight fight in the 2000s during the truly memorable clash between them for the 2006 world title.  I liked him right from the start when he began his career at my favourite team Minardi.  He has always made the most of his car and, aside from 2007 at McLaren, has made a very positive impression overall.  There are times when he has let his own pride get in the way of pragmatic decision making (2007) and he has been overly critical of some of the teams that he has driven for at times, but I've always felt that he has driven to the maximum in every race that he has been involved in.

I am very disappointed, but unsurprised, that he is going to retire.  It seems completely unjust to me that he has only ended up with two world titles when Vettel, who is of considerably less calibre in my opinion, has four.  Alonso should have had four, but Ferrari let him down in both 2010 and 2012 at the last gasp. 
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:26:54 PM »
I'm sad to see him go, but I can understand why. F1 in general isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be. I hope he gets a good ride in the IRL.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »
F1 might have been a lot more fun for him had he been 'luckier' in his choices.  It will be odd not seeing him next year, I never saw Kimi outlasting (potentially) the rest of his generation of racers.  Still one of the best but woefully wasted in McLaren so I can understand why he would want to do something else whilst leaving the door open should McLaren develop a better car. 

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:03:52 PM »
Disappointed he's going as well, one of my favourite drivers, have to agree with you Irisado, Ferdies the best driver since Schumacher and way above Vettel. I wish him well.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »
Not really a surprise, but still a great shame to see Alonso call time on his F1 career!!!!

Too many "ifs and buts" over the last number of years (since leaving Ferrari) ... so I hope he finds a competitive alternative to F1 for the future.  He still has bags of talent, just not able to execute it during his time with struggling McLaren!!!!!

Hay hum, as said, at least another seat available for the F1 musical chairs in the months ahead.

All the best to you Fernando, GO GT 'EM!!!!!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Willy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 11:41:13 PM »
About time as he has not won a race in  5 years. Hard to stay motivated with lackluster results that are not of your own doing. Ferd has said he wants to win the Triple Crown and this will give him the chance.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 06:58:31 AM »
I was wondering whether he would put up with one more season just to be the driver with the most F1 races under his belt.  As it is, he will end up second, a dozen behind Barrichello. I guess it's not an important stat for racing drivers :)

Sad to see him leave, even sadder that he's been out of the running for so long. If he'd had a decent drive the last 5 years it could have made the seasons a little livelier...

Offline Robem64

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 07:35:01 AM »
His statement didn't say he has definitely retired from F1 - in fact it says he will not race in F1 in 2019. One of the lines even says of McLaren " I know they will come back stronger and better in the future and it could be the right moment for me to be back in the series; that would make me really happy."

Is he leaving the door open for 2020 IF the car proves to be competitive next season?

He'd be 39.....Mansell won the WDC at 39!
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 03:46:26 AM »
Who knows if it truly is a final exit from F1, but for all neutrals, it's a real shame that we will miss out on an Alonso/Sainz pairing at some stage.

Maybe he will be handed a title like Jenson or even Bernie!!!!  :D

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 02:46:17 PM »
With his bad luck in joining and leaving teams Mclaren Might
just have a winner next year.just have a winner next year.e so I like Carlos
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »
I'll say one thing for him. He was one of the best I've ever seen at getting the most out of a substandard race car.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 03:35:20 PM »
I just read that Mark Miles, the C.E.O. of IndyCar, says that they are still trying to get Alonso in a McLaren entered car for next season:

“McLaren is working on all the elements to put a deal together and to try to have Fernando Alonso run a full season next year. Certainly, Andretti Autosports to be part of a deal with McLaren is in the mix. This isn’t a deadline, but if I had to guess, I would guess this won’t be decided until late October or early November.”

There is also talk that Tony Stewart might end up at Indy next year.

https://autoweek.com/article/indycar/indycars-mark-miles-mclaren-working-2019-full-season-indycar-deal-fernando-alonso
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 01:39:57 AM »
Stewart might be a little too big for Indy cars.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle