collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 354
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vandoorne's departure confirmed  (Read 3222 times)

guest3164

Vandoorne's departure confirmed
« on: September 03, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »
It's all happening today!  McLaren have confirmed that Stoffel Vandoorne will be leaving the team at the end of 2018.  I feel for him actually, he has come in against one of the very best drivers in F1, in a pair of cars that have been awful and really had little chance to show what he can do.  He is definitely better than he has shown and I hope another team will take him on, although I imagine it is unlikely now. 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138482/vandoorne-to-lose-mclaren-seat-at-end-of-2018

Offline Dare

Re: Vandoorne's departure confirmed
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »
Mclaren did the same to Perez. The car was a dog and
he took the blame fpr not performing.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:10:02 PM »
McLaren and rookies/near-rookies don't mix very well. It doesn't help that it tends to think they are all Hamilton and can therefore all be treated that way. No! Every driver is different...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 09:24:05 PM »
It doesn't bode all that well for Norris, does it?  Although by all accounts he is Brown's golden boy so maybe that will work in his favour.  For every Hamilton you get a dozen slower developers.  Was Rosberg considered WDC material in his debut season at Williams?  Some have it from the off, more have to develop to get there. 

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »
I think auto racing like all sports you either have the
gift or don't. The hard part is if you have the gift to get
lucky enough to let you get that car that let's you develop it.
There's too many drivers that were fast  but didn't get that chance
and there's a few that didn't have it but got on a good team,Massa
comes to mind
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

guest3164

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »
Interesting about Massa, I was not a fan of his as such but he drove for Williams so I had to cheer him on (apologies to fans of his!)  I wonder how he would have done in the FW41, I am not convinced he would have been 'much' better than the current pair. 

Offline Robem64

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 10:13:24 PM »
No surprise really.....I believe he's the only one on the grid who's failed to outqualify his team mate even once this year.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 02:12:58 AM »
Several rookies have commented that going from any feeder series to F1 is a huge change. The cars have more down force and much more power. They change direction incredibly well, but can snap from under to oversteer and vice versa in a heartbeat. Then there is the press and the PR work. It is truly a whole different world than what they are accustomed to. Of course some adapt faster than others.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 11:16:31 AM »
I'd echo the sentiments that not all drivers who are good or top in other series will make it in F1, many times in the past we've seen drivers introduced as next big thing only to see them turn in mediocre performances and be gone after few seasons.

To sort grain from chaff I'm warming to the idea, presently being floated by Wolff at Mercedes, that some teams run 3 cars, the third car must be for young drivers with less than 2 years F1 experience.
Obviously the 3rd car shouldn't score race points in the normal championships but could have it's own rookie contest. Helps push grid numbers up and makes sure young drivers get a chance on merit and not just by big bucks backing.

Would probably allow more seats for drivers like Ocon & Kimi who deserve to stay on the grid, but a downside is it might lead to a glut of experienced drivers in 2 years time. Hey maybe that's why it's on the table now, with budget cuts due many more experienced drivers will push down driver pay.  :swoon: 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
They tried a similar idea in the early 2000's. Teams could run a 3rd car in Friday practice if they used a test (usually young) driver.

Considering that one is a rookie & the other a WDC, I wouldn't expect Stoffel to out qualify Alonso.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 10:27:05 AM »
They tried a similar idea in the early 2000's. Teams could run a 3rd car in Friday practice if they used a test (usually young) driver.

Considering that one is a rookie & the other a WDC, I wouldn't expect Stoffel to out qualify Alonso.

Ah, the Heathrow Agreement :D Unfortunately this also required a little extra leverage - teams doing this were limited to 10 days of in-season testing, as opposed to other teams being allowed to do an unlimited amount. Since there aren't even 10 days of in-season testing now (and it's mostly reserved for inexperienced drivers...), a different leverage would be needed.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle