collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 361
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Kimi's staying in F1 for 2 more years  (Read 4115 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Kimi's staying in F1 for 2 more years
« on: September 11, 2018, 12:29:04 PM »
He's joining Sauber, so his career is coming full circle.

Strange how the end part of Kimi's F1 career is mirroring his earlier drives, he's revisited Ferrari - now Sauber.
All that's left is another spell at McLaren to complete the circle.  :D   

https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/09/11/raikkonen-to-join-sauber/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Kimi's staying in F1 for 2 more years
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 02:46:36 PM »
I wonder if Ferrari aren’t just parking him at Sauber (and paying a chunk of his retainer) in case Leclerc turns out to have been a bad decision...they can always snatch him back if Leclerc can’t keep Seb honest.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 03:06:04 PM »
I wonder if Ferrari aren’t just parking him at Sauber (and paying a chunk of his retainer) in case Leclerc turns out to have been a bad decision...they can always snatch him back if Leclerc can’t keep Seb honest.

Seems like a reasonable course of action to me.

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 05:14:19 PM »
I was wondering the same about Kimi, although potentially in case Vettel kicks off. 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 06:50:35 PM »
There's a suggestion on some F1 sites that Kimi has a contract that includes part ownership going forward at Sauber. Well he does have history of having his own WRC team, maybe in his future he wants to stay in F1 on the pitwall.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »
I'm glad he's staying. I hope Sauber can give him a better car than they have in the past few years. The partial ownership thing would explain why he didn't go to Haas instead.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
Part of me wishes this move had given him a chance to race Vettel in an equal car without team orders but instead the stronger part of me wishes he had just retired. He has driven for the biggest F1 teams; in a Sauber I feel he is just taking the Ferrari pay-check and will be making up the numbers.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 03:08:20 PM »
There's a suggestion on some F1 sites that Kimi has a contract that includes part ownership going forward at Sauber. Well he does have history of having his own WRC team, maybe in his future he wants to stay in F1 on the pitwall.

I hope that's true.  If nothing else, one day I want a driver to question a strategy call, and Kimi come on the radio and say 'I know what I'm doing'.

There have been a few teams owned by former drivers, and given how fabulously wealthy modern (successful) drivers are, I'm surprised more aren't involved in ownership.  Given that the lifeblood of the sport is dealing with sponsors, surely having a minority shareholder who spent his career with sponsors is a good thing?

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 05:07:29 PM »
Except Kimi probably isn’t the guy you want in there as a sponsor incentive.  Just sayin’

Zoom to 1:50 ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:10:11 PM by Scott »

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
Could Kimi taking pole ben part of the reason Ferrari
let him go? Remember after Vettel lost pole he said we'll
talk about it later on the radio.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »
Could Kimi taking pole ben part of the reason Ferrari
let him go? Remember after Vettel lost pole he said we'll
talk about it later on the radio.

It's possible, but I doubt it.  I would imagine Vettel's comment was made in the heat of the moment, not part of some larger conspiracy to eliminate competition.

I suppose it is possible that Ferrari believes Vettel will race better without internal competition.  Ferrari hasn't had much luck running 2 'top' drivers; maybe they want to go back to having a clear #1 and 'rear gunner' like they did in the Schumacher era.  In which case, Kimi showing that he's still got speed means they can't make him a 'rear gunner' without looking foolish.

Of course, if Sauber continues to grow stronger with more sponsorship, they run a risk of Kimi showing up the scarlet cars, and then they're going to look VERY foolish.

guest3164

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 03:26:16 PM »
Thing is Jeri, Ferrari would just press the 'explode' button, or a similarly shaped 'engine slow down' button making the Sauber, and Kimi, more passable for the red cars. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 04:53:48 PM »
Very true. Remember what happened when Super Aguri started to outrun the factory Hondas using their year old, hand me down cars. Honda pulled the plug on Super Aguri.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 06:02:08 PM »
Very true. Remember what happened when Super Aguri started to outrun the factory Hondas using their year old, hand me down cars. Honda pulled the plug on Super Aguri.

There's a difference between a scrappy F1 start up like Super Aguri, and a 30 billion dollar wealth management company like Longbow Finance that probably does considerable business with the people who own Ferrari.  They are happy to get as much from Ferrari as they can (who wouldn't?), but if they feel cheated and need to go to Mercedes, Renault or Honda, they'll do so at the drop of a hat and then... they still have your money.  And a grudge.

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 06:28:11 PM »
About time Swiss money was poured into Sauber.  And not just sponsorship.  Ownership means they can’t easily be poached like teams have historically done to good Sauber sponsors.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle