collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 513
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Should / could Force India fire Perez and keep Ocon?  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Monty

Should / could Force India fire Perez and keep Ocon?
« on: September 17, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »
I have no data, but my memory suggests Perez has caused more crashes with Ocon and has damaged (literally and from a 'lost points' point of view) Force India more than his team mate.
I know he brings a lot of money but there must be a possibility that he is costing Force India more than he contributes. If they kept Ocon they would make Mercedes very happy and that could be worth a lot of tangible and intangible benefits.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Should / could Force India fire Perez and keep Ocon?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 01:46:55 PM »
Nah they have both been as bad as each other over the last 2 years. However putting your car on the outside of three into a corner at a street track is always high risk, which I reckon accounts for no action from the stewards. 

I still can't get my head round what Ocon was doing pressing on so hard round the outside? Well I can see he was trying to jump Perez, but there's the rub - should a teammate defer and lose a place because of forceful tactics by his teammate?   

I feel if that had been another team's car inside he wouldn't have pressed it so hard for fear of the inevitable happening. Just because it was his teammate did he feel entitled to be given a free pass?

On the question of payments to the team, Force India still owe Perez for triggering the administration before an insolvency petition took them all down.

I guess the money might also be a reason Perez is looking to finish the year ahead of Ocon, he'd rather point to his championship place than be tagged as the other pay driver on the team.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
However putting your car on the outside of three into a corner at a street track is always high risk
this is clearly true but if you are ever going to do it, you would think you are at your safest doing it alongside your team mate! More to the point, on this occasion he really didn't have a lot of choice. The cars on his inside were going much slower because they were tripping each other up and he had a perfectly clear spot in front of him. Every camera angle I have seen suggests that Perez had plenty of room on his left and could easily have avoided contact.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »
Perez said he never saw Ocon. Add that to his hit on Sirotkin and it suggests a lack of spatial awareness I would think was essential to a racing driver.   :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 04:10:28 PM »
I think he has a blind spot where Ocon is concerned. This isn't the first time when he "didn't see" his team mate.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »
You'd think bright-and-almost-neon pink would be quite tricky to miss...

Can I suggest Checo skip next race in favour of an eye examination? Perhaps he could use some glasses when racing if it is too difficult to spot a large, pink, moving object...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 05:09:58 PM »
Yeah, it wasn’t Perez’s race.  Things seem to go his way for a few races - stays out of trouble, making good racing moves.  And then he has a weekend like that when he behaves like a rookie again.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
Toto Wolff thinks that Ocon is getting the short end of the stick, too.

https://racer.com/2018/09/14/wolff-angry-over-lies-about-ocon-as-wehrlein-leaves-mercedes/
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 01:58:45 AM »
SP said in the pen that he thought he was tagged which is why he swerved to the right but the numerous reply's disprove that and to say that he never saw him is just not true he's an F1 driver not a Formula Ford rookie.
The same applies to taking out SS he had just overtaken him so knew exactly where he was.

So based on the above I'll go with Monty EO is the better driver.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 05:05:21 AM »
Toto Wolff thinks that Ocon is getting the short end of the stick, too.

https://racer.com/2018/09/14/wolff-angry-over-lies-about-ocon-as-wehrlein-leaves-mercedes/

Good for Toto, he can put Ocon on his reserve driver lineup.  A bit condescending referring to other teams driver choices when he has a massive Merc budget behind every decision he makes.  I don’t think Williams or Force Whatever have that luxury. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline rmassart

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 06:13:27 AM »
this is clearly true but if you are ever going to do it, you would think you are at your safest doing it alongside your team mate!

I'm not sure team mates are good at avoiding each other since, as they say, the first person you have to beat is your team mate. On top of which, you're more likely to be racing your team mate than anyone else, given that the cars will perform identically.

Does anyone have any stats on this?  ;)

guest3164

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »
Toto talks a lot of nonsense.  Honestly if Ocon/Russell are as good and vital to Mercedes future as Wolff makes out then the team should pay the going rate to get them into another team.  Would Williams prefer Ocon over another pay driver if Mercedes offered sensible money?  Of course they would, he's far more proven than half the names linked to the seat.  Would they take Russell under similar circumstances?  Of course, he's British and fast, two things Williams love.  But Mercedes have to pay as neither Racing Point Force India or Williams can afford to just run Mercedes juniors out of the kindness of their hearts. 

Regarding Perez, his actions this weekend almost screamed of a driver whose future is less than certain than it appeared a few weeks ago.  Those errors were bizarre, dangerous potentially.  It is not how he drives most of the time. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 08:14:12 PM »
SP said in the pen that he thought he was tagged which is why he swerved to the right but the numerous reply's disprove that and to say that he never saw him is just not true he's an F1 driver not a Formula Ford rookie.
The same applies to taking out SS he had just overtaken him so knew exactly where he was.

So based on the above I'll go with Monty EO is the better driver.

I think Checo realised by the time he reached the media pen that his impression of being tagged was some sort of tactile illusion (it happens to me due to a combination of autism and hypersensitive touch - sometimes I can feel like I've been poked by fingers that are a foot away if I'm having a bad day - but I didn't realise it could happen to neurotypicals too).

While I believe Checo is a better driver than Esteban seven days out of ten, he does have a problem that on one of the other three days, he's terrible. And there's 20 races in a season nowadays, so we see "terrible Checo" twice a year...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »
Going off topic now but picking up on Ocon and other good drivers that aren't getting to race; I had an idea a few years ago that when I mention it provides 'marmite' reactions.
I think every team should be forced to run their Reserve driver in 4 races per season, twice in each car. It would not materially affect the WDC (each 'main' driver still has the identical number of races to accumulate points). However, the teams would want to have a good reserve driver to ensure good manufacturers points. This might result in teams keeping reserve drivers on merit even if one or both of their main drivers are 'pay' drivers.

Only bad thing about that is fan satisfaction. Go to your home town
race to see Lewis or Vettel and you see a sub instead. A third car
would be better
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:13:32 PM by Dare »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle