collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 462
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: White Van Man - in detail  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Wizzo

White Van Man - in detail
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:58:34 PM »
Ford has conducted a survey of van drivers with the aim of improving their image. The results are mixed.

Ford's take on the survey is that 98 per cent of van drivers have heard of the term although 74 per cent of them think it is an insulting term or doesn't apply to them personally.

Ford finds that white van man is about 42 years old, married and wants to retire early. His favourite foods are curry and roast dinners and a significant number favour organic foods. His favourite drink is beer and he doesn’t smoke. Top factors in the job satisfaction stakes are client satisfaction and finishing jobs on time. Women road users are more wary of van drivers than their male counterparts.

However, a closer look at the survey also reveals that most think their van should be less comfortable than a car, almost half don't think of themselves as professionals, they mostly don't care which brand of van they drive, and 10 per cent don't feel safe driving a van.

The survey in detail
The survey concluded that Ford Transit is the best known van on Britain's roads, said Ford. In addition, the survey highlighted that 98 per cent of van drivers have heard of the term white van man, and that women are less positive than men in their perception of WVM (61 per cent female versus 56 per cent male).

Today's white van man
WVM is male, about 42 years old, and married/co-habiting (84 per cent) and wants to retire early (41 per cent).
His favourite foods are curry (14 per cent), roast dinners (14 per cent), Chinese (12 per cent) and pasta (12 per cent). 43 per cent eat organic food.
His favourite drinks are beer (49 per cent), tea (11 per cent) and wine (10 per cent). He doesn’t smoke (62 per cent).
He reads The Sun (38 per cent) and listens to local music stations (32 per cent) and BBC Radio 2 (28 per cent).
Other favourite media are News of the World (39 per cent), Daily Mail (21 per cent), Mail on Sunday (22 per cent). 19 per cent read their local newspaper and 36 per cent read motoring magazines.
Top entertainment is TV (92 per cent) followed by radio (75 per cent).
His favourite sport is football – to watch (79 per cent) and play (37 per cent).
24 per cent are into designer clothing brands.
He has been driving a van for around 15 years and 71 per cent see themselves as a careful and considerate road user.
The vast majority (74 per cent) do not identify themselves with WVM – in fact, 37 per cent find the term 'rude and insulting.' Only 11 per cent are proud to be called WVM.
Myth versus reality
Two thirds (68 per cent) of the driving public believe he has a tattoo. Only 33 per cent of van drivers claim to have one.
68 per cent use the internet.
Satellite navigation and air conditioning are at the top of their shopping list for a van.
85 per cent care how customers see them
69 per cent like to keep their van clean and shiny
More than half (52 per cent) care how other car drivers see them
52 per cent of road users consider van drivers professional.
WVM has a responsible attitude to van maintenance.

His van
41 per cent think their van should be more comfortable than their car.
91 per cent of WVM drivers think people who drive while speaking on the phone are dangerous.
58 per cent say that their van breaking down is like losing their right arm.
39 per cent see the brand of their van as important
90 per cent feel safe when driving a van.
Most vans are white (64 per cent), blue (13 per cent), red (eight per cent) and silver (seven  per cent).
On the road/on the job
45 per cent are irritated by drivers who cut them up.
His top pressures are finding enough time to do jobs and keeping to schedule.
Top factors in the job satisfaction stakes are client satisfaction and finishing jobs on time.
80 per cent eat in the cab of their van with 26 per cent using transport cafes.
1 per cent are vegetarian. 73 per cent try to eat healthily.

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

Re: White Van Man - in detail
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 12:26:38 AM »
My company truck, that I've put over 146,000 miles on in about 2 years. This was taken the day I picked it up at our warehouse. It had all of 34 miles on it.

For the most part, they missed me by a mile!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 07:35:04 PM »

Cosworth, do white van men have the same reputation in the US as they do in the UK?

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 07:51:57 PM »
I like my Transit, I don't eat in it, I don't eat healthily, I smoke, I drink(sparingly?) sometimes and I do wave at other drivers, he he
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 01:39:07 PM »
I've never even heard the phrase over here. Minivans get the bad rap on this side of the pond. Sort of like a guy being seen in a frilly kitchen apron.

My idea of health food is a burger and fries. I drink, have an occasional cigar and get far too little sleep. I don't care how comforable my van is (within reason), just how fast it goes!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle