collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Liberty looking to try four part F1 Quali format for 2019?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Liberty looking to try four part F1 Quali format for 2019?
« on: September 24, 2018, 12:47:38 AM »
Not sure if this will be good or bad news.  :DntKnw:
Won't a final 8 Q4 just mean 6 serious runners and 2 who'll maybe run to use the extra set of softest tyres. This could change of course if the tweaks to the front & rear wings allows much closer racing throughout, bringing mid field teams closer to the big boys in races.   

http://f1i.com/news/317835-f1-could-implement-four-part-qualifying-format-in-2019.html

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

Re: Liberty looking to try four part F1 Quali format for 2019?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 02:35:57 PM »
What is the intention of the new system?

Are they trying to get more laps run on Saturday, providing more spectacle for fans, therefore more ticket sales for the venues?  If so, then I can stand behind that.

If they're keeping the 60 minute session, it makes each Q segment shorter, which increases the odds of a top driver putting in a bad lap and getting knocked out early.  It gives a chance to a strong/lucky midfield team to get a good result for their sponsors.  It also mixes up the race itself, with 'faster' cars qualifying lower and having to work their way up.  If so, I can stand behind that too.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 05:53:58 PM »
I wonder if their TV contracts will allow them to go outside of a 60 minute block.

Quali is about the only part of F1 that most fans think is being done well. Why mess with it when there is so much being done badly? I definitely don't like changing the tire rule. Let the mid-fielders have a little something to level the playing field.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 05:10:35 AM »
If it ain't broke etc!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »
I agree...there are so many other things in F1 that need tweaking.  Leave Q alone.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 01:26:29 PM »
But then Liberty can look like owners who care when in 2020 they switch back to the current format, having 'listened to the views of race fans'. 

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 03:05:15 PM »
I wonder if their TV contracts will allow them to go outside of a 60 minute block.

Quali is about the only part of F1 that most fans think is being done well. Why mess with it when there is so much being done badly? I definitely don't like changing the tire rule. Let the mid-fielders have a little something to level the playing field.

Considering how many parties must agree to changes before anything can happen in F1, this may be one of the few things that Liberty CAN accomplish.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 06:10:13 PM »
If it ain't broke etc!

I think Liberty goes by one of Red Green's old sayings: If it's not broke, you're not trying."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »
If it ain't broke etc!

I think Liberty goes by one of Red Green's old sayings: If it's not broke, you're not trying."

It's quite amazing how many comedians are trained engineers (Steve "Red Green" Smith, Rowan "Mr. Bean" Atkinson) or gear heads (Jay Leno, David Letterman, Jerry Seinfeld).

I would love to see them more involved in top level racing as owners or brand ambassadors.  Although I do know that Letterman was involved in CART ownership, I'm not sure if he stayed involved with Rahal after they moved to IndyCar.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 08:51:31 PM »
Yes, he is. The team is now Rahal Letterman Lanigan (RRL) Racing. Besides the IndyCar team, they also run BMW's IMSA GTD team and something in the Jaguar E-Pace electric series.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Irisado

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
Yet another pointless proposal which fails to address the problems with the quality of racing in Formula 1.  Qualifying is not the problem, so it needs to be left alone.  The problems are just about everywhere else.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 03:00:53 PM »
As Meat Loaf once sung, "If it ain't broke, break it"...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 04:14:16 PM »
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Irisado

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 06:39:28 PM »
He is right, I agree.  The only saving grace is that the top ten at least score points now.  If races were still using the pre-2003 scoring system, combined with ridiculous reliability that is pervasive now, barely any team outside the top three would ever score any points.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle