collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 315
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Does FIA/FOM have duty to provide a drive in F1 for F2 champion?  (Read 2599 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
How about a guest car scenario paid for by FOM, say to the tune of £20m, and piloted for the year by the F2 champ, or runner up if No1 gets seat anyways.
I reckon it could be worked by adding a car to one of the current teams (yes a 3 car team). Any team outside the top 3 finishers of the previous year could to apply to run the car and a simple pick out of the hat would decide if more than one team applies. No constructers points but driver can score.   

Maybe 3 car teams are a no no at present but if the F2 series is to truly be regarded as the F1 feeder series the reigning champ should get a guaranteed seat in F1, after all they can't continue in F2.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

Re: Does FIA/FOM have duty to provide a drive in F1 for F2 champion?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »
I like the idea to an extent.  It should be the case that F1's feeder series winner gets a place in F1 the following year.  But then there are those drivers who do it for about 5 years before winning and you end up questioning their level of deserving for a seat (ie, Maldonado).  But you cannot discriminate so that 'could' be an issue.

The best thing would be if there maybe another 2 teams in F1 and the finances were better shared out amongst all teams so that smaller F1 teams could more realistically take a punt on the F2 winners/runners up without having to resort to those in the feeder series with the biggest budgets.  It might also mean people like Vandoorne have more hope of a second chance. 

But I do agree the winners of F2 really ought to get some form of seat in F1.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 03:19:10 PM »
Does any other team sport give a guaranteed entry to anyone?  As long as F1 teams exist, they have to be allowed to choose their own personnel.  A team run by FOM/FIA will necessarily be problematic in terms of preferential treatment.

I don't see any reason why winning a championship, even in a 'feeder' series, should guarantee anyone anything.

We've all seen that feeder series success isn't always an indicator of top level success.  There is so much more to being an F1 driver than simply hopping into a cockpit on a Sunday afternoon.  It is a grind, and some drivers enter too early and are destroyed.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
IndyCar's Road to Indy support system now gives the Indy Lights champ a guarantee of at least 3 IndyCar race starts the following season.

Rather than spend the £20m on a separate car, give the F2 champ a £20m "scholarship" to buy a ride for the following season. The driver could then cut the best deal possible, and the money would probably still end up with one of the lower funded teams.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
I can see what you mean Cos, but I think a stash of money to buy a drive will just push up the pay driver market and they can still be outbid.

Jeri I'm not suggesting FIA/FOM have any day to day control they simply put up the money and allow an extra car on the grid each year. The chosen team run the car exactly as they do for their other cars, same chassis, same engine, same pit crew back up. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:43:37 PM »
First instinct on reading the headline is to type “No”.

But I think it would be productive to give some sort of support to the F2 Champ, be it financial or some sort of incentive for one of the back markers or midfield teams to offer reasonable chance at a race seat.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:09:57 AM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 07:46:52 PM »
I can see what you mean Cos, but I think a stash of money to buy a drive will just push up the pay driver market and they can still be outbid.

Jeri I'm not suggesting FIA/FOM have any day to day control they simply put up the money and allow an extra car on the grid each year. The chosen team run the car exactly as they do for their other cars, same chassis, same engine, same pit crew back up.

It may up the 'pay driver' market... but it also means that teams looking for a cash infusion can go for a talented driver that isn't necessarily bringing any baggage.  While the quality of pay drivers seems to be increasing, the quality of the backers themselves seems to be on the decline (how many missed payments have there been over the last few years?)

I do like the idea of the FIA putting up the money as a reward for the driver, in place of setting up a team.

I know you're suggesting that the FIA/FOM would sponsor the team, but then be 'hands off'.  They can't even seem to stay impartial when it comes to Ferrari.  No matter how hard they try to seem to be fair, people won't buy it.

Especially now that F1 has invited official gambling into the sport, they have to appear fair above all else.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 09:44:15 PM »
If Liberty had a team in F1, then I'd be OK with them guaranteeing a seat for the top F2 driver to not hold a F1 seat elsewhere by a certain date.

Otherwise, I think this would merely result in F2 getting more expensive and more talent getting shut out in favour of people who can buy experience.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »
If the winners of feeder series are the obvious choices as reserve drivers can I point my learned friends to a suggestion I made on another thread:-
I think every team should be forced to run their Reserve driver in 4 races per season, twice in each car. It would not materially affect the WDC (each 'main' driver still has the identical number of races to accumulate points). However, the teams would want to have a good reserve driver to ensure good manufacturers points. This might result in teams keeping reserve drivers on merit even if one or both of their main drivers are 'pay' drivers.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 04:09:54 PM »
If the winners of feeder series are the obvious choices as reserve drivers can I point my learned friends to a suggestion I made on another thread:-
I think every team should be forced to run their Reserve driver in 4 races per season, twice in each car. It would not materially affect the WDC (each 'main' driver still has the identical number of races to accumulate points). However, the teams would want to have a good reserve driver to ensure good manufacturers points. This might result in teams keeping reserve drivers on merit even if one or both of their main drivers are 'pay' drivers.

Only if that talent makes enough difference to make up for losing the money. Unfortunately that's becoming increasingly difficult to do.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 09:26:20 PM »

A problem I can see Monty is that Teams will all put a reserve in for the more processional or strategy/tyre limited races so we could see half the real drivers missing from some races.  :crazy:

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 12:29:07 AM »

A problem I can see Monty is that Teams will all put a reserve in for the more processional or strategy/tyre limited races so we could see half the real drivers missing from some races.  :crazy:

A bunch of rookies with everything to prove and nothing to lose in an otherwise processional snoozefest?  You've sold me, this must happen!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 01:19:46 AM »
I'd bet that the reserve drivers would end up driving the races where the team got a major power train penalty.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 03:15:15 PM »
I'd bet that the reserve drivers would end up driving the races where the team got a major power train penalty.

Conversely, they might end up in the race where the power unit is nearing it's end of life, and absorb a DNF, protecting the top drivers from facing penalties.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle