collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 337
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Japan - H & Z's  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Robem64

Japan - H & Z's
« on: October 07, 2018, 10:12:59 AM »
Heroes
- Ricciardo - a sterling drive from 15th. With a working car in quali a podium would have been his I reckon.
- the fans in Japan - they're absolutely fervent
- Hamilton - not much to do as usual but he was strong all weekend
- Mercedes - a team on top of their game

Zeroes
- Ferrari I think Ferrari have been well and truly beaten into submission by Mercedes over the course of this weekend. Quali was a desperate throw of the dice (inters on a dry track!) and Vettel compounded that with a desperate move that was never going to come off. The fact Ferrari didn't even bother to swap Kimi and Seb round for the finish tells me they've thrown the towel in.
- Verstappen - his stupid comment saying that Kimi could have waited for him to come back on track! Does he expect everyone to form an orderly queue.
- Ericsson - punting your team mate on restart is not what the team need
- Toro Rosso - how did they throw away such a strong quali?

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

guest3164

Re: Japan - H & Z's
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 10:34:50 AM »
Heroes:
Hamilton- Another controlled, excellent race.  He is on fire lately. 
Ricciardo- He excels cutting through the field, an outstanding overtaker.  I hope he gets the chance next season.
Racing Point Force India- Another great result for them.

Zeroes:
Vettel- Verstappen gets a lot of flack for his driving, but as a 4 time WDC Vettel really has a lot of weaknesses in his driving. 
Verstappen- Another Mad Max moment
Magnussen- Will cause a huge crash in the near future which obviously won't be his fault.   :fool:

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
Not much more to add.

I have Verstappen as both a hero and a zero. I voted for him as driver of the day, only because he made things interesting. His comments about Kimi afterwards then relegated him to the zero category.

Ferrari are once again imploding. I see Lewis winning the remaining 4 races, minus perhaps the one he has to give back to Valteri. And if this form continues I see Lewis reaching 100 race wins before he retires unless rule changes reign in the advantage Mercedes seem to enjoy in almost every department. With RedBull switching to Honda next year, I don't see an immediate challenger to Mercedes unless Ferrari can step up their game over the whole season significantly.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »
DR would be my driver of the day.  Hammy and Bottas did an rxcellent job as well. 

Max as usual was an idiot today, and Vettel threw it all away in a desperate move.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 03:49:38 PM »
Heros:
 :good: Ricciardo - The only real hero in this race
Zeros:
 :DntKnw: Everyone else, they just ended up more or less where their equipment, team, and skill permitted.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 04:30:12 PM »
Hamilton and Mercedes are just dominant.  Has any team/driver ever come from behind and absolutely obliterate the competition?

I think Vettel was right to take the risk.  If he didn't get past Verstappen, it was the end of his championship anyway.  When there's nothing to lose, of course a driver has to go for it.

Verstappen should just shut up on the radio.  You don't win any favours by declaring the other drivers should just get out of your way.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »
This was a difficult one. I enjoyed it, but there weren't many heroes or zeroes this time - people tended to range from

Heroes

Riccardo - well-executed fightback without errors.

Hamilton - neatly taken win. Title 5 will be well-deserved.

The fans - for being as charmingly supportive as usual.

Honourary mention: Alonso, for forgiving Stroll for his collision, and Leclerc for forgiving his team-mate's collision. It makes a change from drivers usually being quick to criticise (as indeed both drivers had cause to do this race, albeit with other targets).

Zeroes

Magnussen - While I wouldn't go quite as far as Leclerc did in his radio comments, I am having trouble seeing any rational reason for the weaving Kevin was doing. Sooner or later, he was going to come unstuck, and even Guenther Steiner seemed to have difficulty defending him.

Vettel - I dislike Verstappen as much as the next Verstappen-disliker, but he was completely innocent in the clash that has most likely ended Sebastian's title hopes. The fightback afterwards was no more than could reasonably expected. Misses the top spot because while the move was never going to work (especially against Verstappen...), there was a (weak) motive - desperation.

Stroll - for hitting Alonso and forcing him off-track. It's this low because Lance was apparently unsighted, which is a valid reason, if one that perhaps he could have accounted for.

Dishonourary mention: Verstappen - The escape road on the Triangle Chicane is there for  a reason. If you can't use it (which was probably the case in that specific instance), at least take the hint, go in that general direction and sort out letting people back through later. Some credit is given for at least trying to find a decent alternative solution, this simply wasn't a race which generated many zeroes.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 04:32:25 PM »
Most of mime have already been mentioned, but I do have one to add.....

Heroes:

Suzuka Circuit - Just about everything an F1 venue should be. In an age of bland, boring Tilke snooze factories and "pretty buildings" street parades, Suzuka stands out like a ruby in a mountain of rocks.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »
Yes Indeed.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle