collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 345
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1's Streaming Scheme Ran Off NBC  (Read 4071 times)

Offline cosworth151

F1's Streaming Scheme Ran Off NBC
« on: October 10, 2018, 03:41:26 PM »
It looks like Liberty's streaming scheme is what drove NBC out of F1. NBC offered $40 million for a seven year contract extension, starting this year. Liberty's live stream torpedoed the deal. The most optimistic projections showed that they would make $1 million streaming to the U.S. market. That was before the streaming service went live & turned into one huge bug fest.

A source at NBC says that the sluggish forecast reflects the network’s findings. “Formula 1’s audience is older, it’s wealthier and it is very sophisticated. But while they love technology in Formula 1, they don’t want to watch it on their phones or their iPads or their computers. They want to watch it on a big screen."

BTW, the live stream isn't available in the UK as per their contract with Sky.

And that is how we F1 fans here in the States went from one of the best race broadcast commentary crews on the planet to a copy of the Sky feed on ESPN

Fun fact - Sean Bratches, Liberty's commercial honcho, came from ESPN.

https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/revealed-f1s-40-million-gamble-streaming-races-scared-nbc

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

Re: F1's Streaming Scheme Ran Off NBC
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 04:16:39 PM »
I've been watching the BBC and Sky streams for years before it went to
ESPN and I have no complaints with Sky.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 07:40:57 PM »

Presumably you are not paying for F1's own stream, which is apparently one big dud.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 10:48:22 PM »
How does streaming not work in 2018?

I watched much of the 2010 Winter Olympics from Vancouver in crystal clear, lag free, high definition streaming.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:58:39 AM »

Presumably you are not paying for F1's own stream, which is apparently one big dud.

I'm watching the ESPN F1 show which Cos says is the Sky show.
Maybe I'm not as picky as  I used to be but it works for me. Practice,
qualifying,grid walk,race,and the follow up after the race. Works great
for me. As for the US show I do miss I think it was Steve or maybe David
making car noises.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 04:57:56 PM »
ESPN coverage was one of the main reasons I dumped cable. All practice sessions, and some qualis, are stuck out on one of their fringe channels. To get those channels, like ESPNU or ESPN News, requires an extra cost (very extra cost) deluxe cable package. Without that, ESPN won't even let you stream it.

As for Sky, watch one of their broadcasts & count the number of times they even mention Haas. I have to watch the T&S feed to make sure that they are still on track.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
I prefer watching F1 on a big screen as it is just easier to view all the information at the same time, be it the placings, gap times or other such stuff that pops up on screen. 

It is quite fortunate that Sky have recently changed all their channels to HD as standard and are not putting up my price (due to having recently gone into a new deal) until next December, so I get a better picture for no extra (well, no extra on top of the Sky subs).  I try watching it on my laptop sometimes but it just doesn't hold my attention as well. 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 08:07:24 PM »
I prefer watching F1 on a big screen as it is just easier to view all the information at the same time, be it the placings, gap times or other such stuff that pops up on screen. 

It is quite fortunate that Sky have recently changed all their channels to HD as standard and are not putting up my price (due to having recently gone into a new deal) until next December, so I get a better picture for no extra (well, no extra on top of the Sky subs).  I try watching it on my laptop sometimes but it just doesn't hold my attention as well.

Charging more for HD is sort of a scam.  Broadcasting digital HD signals is much cheaper than broadcasting analog 'standard' signals.  It is true that the one time upgrade to HD equipment is a significant cost, but then the extra equipment to 'downgrade' the signal to 'standard' is a further cost.  In Canada the cable companies gave away HD cable boxes for free, because as soon as 90% of customers had HD capability, they were allowed to turn off the 'standard' definition offerings.

The thing is, you can stream on a TV.  That's where I watch Netflix and NHL hockey.  I use my play station to stream, but people can buy 'android boxes' to stream, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, there are literally dozens of legal options to stream a full HD signal on your TV.  (And of course hundreds of grey market options)

guest3164

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 08:48:44 PM »
I agree Jeri, it is a con and it should not be the case, but for many years Sky charged considerably extra for their HD content, so getting it now for no cost (they moved onto 4K content for extra cost) is a little 'win' for me.  As an aside to this, Sky recently introduced loyalty rewards to customers, depending on how long you have been with them you get different 'stuff'.  For my length of time (over 15 years) you can get the new 4K Sky Q box for free, which sounds great, until you find out you also need to pay them an extra £10-£20 a month for the privilege!

I know you can stream or mirror etc, but sometimes it is just good to do it the old fashioned easy way and not rely on the internet, which at least in places here is still inconsistent.  I am a long way from my local junction box so although I get up to 30Mb/s, it can lag at times and I need to wait until the middle of next year before I can take advantage of the new super fast gigabit broadband that has been installed round here (Peterborough, fairly middling sized UK city).  That will be when proper streaming becomes a real option for me.

Offline Dare

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 04:23:15 AM »
ESPN coverage was one of the main reasons I dumped cable. All practice sessions, and some qualis, are stuck out on one of their fringe channels. To get those channels, like ESPNU or ESPN News, requires an extra cost (very extra cost) deluxe cable package. Without that, ESPN won't even let you stream it.

As for Sky, watch one of their broadcasts & count the number of times they even mention Haas. I have to watch the T&S feed to make sure that they are still on track.

On Sling TV I get ESPN 1,2.and 3 which covers F1. I also get AMC,TNT,TCM,Sundance,BBC America,IFC,4 channels of Epic[movie
channels] and around 20 other stations for $30 a month....a bargain
my eyes for cable cutters.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 05:21:50 PM »

I'm watching the ESPN F1 show which Cos says is the Sky show.
Maybe I'm not as picky as  I used to be but it works for me. Practice,
qualifying,grid walk,race,and the follow up after the race. Works great
for me. As for the US show I do miss I think it was Steve or maybe David
making car noises.

That's the ESPN stream.

F1 is running its own stream direct to consumers via a mobile app in many countries now (including the USA). That's the one I'm saying is one big dud. They have still not managed to go an entire race weekend without dropping everyone's connection at least once, by the sound of it, and most races they have a veritable circus of other problems.

For your own sakes... ...stick to ESPN, or alternative non-direct-F1-provided coverage method.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 07:33:44 PM »
Once again, ESPN is denying practice to normal viewers. We can't even stream it without paying extra.
― Bob Dylan

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 06:38:59 PM »
Watching ESPN/Sky today just reaffirms the feeling that an F1 broadcast without Hobbo is like Christmas without Santa.  :'(
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 09:06:50 PM »
+1 They don't have anyone doing the technical stuff that can match Matchett either.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle