collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 666
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Another Brit on the grid!  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Monty

Another Brit on the grid!
« on: October 12, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
Oh did I say 'Brit'?  I obviously meant rookie because I'm not partisan obviously!
George Russel at Williams would seem to be a good fit. I also hope that it means they will be getting a little more help from Mercedes (they definitely need it!!).

guest3164

Re: Another Brit on the grid!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »
I'm really glad to have a new driver although just a little of that joy is tinged with the knowledge he'll end up leaving for Mercedes at some point if he is as good as we hope/expect!

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 04:25:09 PM »
Fingers crossed for a car that will show off his talent.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Robem64

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 06:20:27 PM »
What I don't quite understand is why Ocon seems to be tainted for joining other teams because he's in the Mercedes programme - surely Russell is in the same boat?
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

guest3164

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »
What I don't quite understand is why Ocon seems to be tainted for joining other teams because he's in the Mercedes programme - surely Russell is in the same boat?

Russell has joined a Mercedes customer team though in Williams, rather like Ocon when he raced for Force India.  The problem is other teams outside of the Mercedes 'family' aren't prepared to take Ocon whilst he is still affiliated with Mercedes and there is the risk they could call him back to Silver Arrows.  With Williams/Force India, it is more expected that the likes of Russell and Ocon will end up moving on in the future. 

Offline Irisado

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
It will be interesting to see how he goes.  His credentials are impressive, but then so were Vandoorne's and he has found it very difficult in a less than competitive car.  Still, Russell won't be up against anyone of Alonso's calibre in the same team.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 05:45:48 PM »

Ocon is ahead of Russell in the Mercedes pecking order, so if Hamilton or Bottas bust an ankle on the way to their car in qualifying, it would be Esteban and not George who got called up as the substitute. As such, Russell isn't in such danger of being yanked from his team mid-season. (Force India's OK with this because they know where their replacement is coming from - Williams isn't 100% confident in Kubica (even though I think he'd be fine), which makes Williams that much more cautious.

It didn't help that Ocon was looking for teams in the middle of Toto Wolff attempting shenenigans that, had they happened, would have affected up to five teams. That sort of thing understandably makes other teams cautious, even temporarily, of accepting any offers that might seem like approval of Toto's actions. It's why Mercedes doesn't have as much psuedopolitical capital as it would like, and why it's now doing things like hosting all-team no-Liberty/FIA meetings to discuss the future of F1 to try to get that capital back. George, on the other hand, signed his deal after said olive branches started being offered...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle