collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 377
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Formula E  (Read 5501 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Formula E
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:17:24 PM »
Formula E has begun testing their 2ND gen cars. Looks more like something you'd see at Le Mans than as an alternate to F1.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/16/pictures-formula-e-second-generation-car-begins-testing/felipe-massa-bra-venturi-formula-e/

Lonny

Offline cosworth151

Re: Formula E
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
Many of us thought that they could never come up with an uglier car than the Gen I Formula E. They have met & surpassed that mark.

Some of you remember the final version of the Can-Am. They put full body kits on F5000 (a.k.a. Formula Atlantic) cars. This looks kind of like a modern version of that idea.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
Well Formula E has now lost any notion of being an open wheel series.
Yeah deffo odd looking, not impressed at all.  :(

I guess this stems from the problem of a same make series, you've got to have plenty of things it appears teams can fiddle with fettle in order to create a competitive difference. Shame is they probably can't - or shouldn't - alter any of the bodywork.  :D 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:11:32 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 03:17:57 PM »
Looks like it was designed by a Hotwheels modeller, or a PR committee.

They're not appealing to race fans, but trying to draw in new fans.  New fans don't really care what a race car is 'supposed' to look like, just what will make them watch.

The problem is F1 fans aren't going to watch Formula E.  Not that we don't want to (though that's true for many of us), but if we're interested in following multiple series, we already are.  I can't watch F1, IndyCar, NASCAR, DTM, WRC, WEC and THEN add on Formula E.

I applaud Formula E.  I think the idea that an F1 car MUST use an internal combustion engine is ridiculous, so if F1 isn't going to move into the present, it's a gap someone has to fill.  However, until Formula E provides what F1 does:  top drivers, top engineers, distinct cars/teams/technology, then I'm just not going to swap. 

I'm definitely not going to swap if they won't at least pretend to be high tech F1 cars.

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 08:02:56 PM »
Formula E is not for me, tried it but was bored very quickly.  :nono:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »
I'm happy that Formula E is being itself and not some other series. It shouldn't pretend to be "the next F1" - that's not a viable direction for a 21st century series. It would either be constantly in F1's wheeltracks or (if F1's direction proved to be wrong) straight into the same barrier. Mr Agag's rhetoric is not helpful to FE.

It's Mum's favourite motorsport series, and I find its races tend to be more exciting than the duller ones of F1's calendar (though not as exciting as F1's more exciting ones). Similarly, I believe a lot of its drivers are better than the likes of Ericsson and Stroll, but not in the class of, say, Perez and Riccardo. Not sure what hiding it on Quest TV (a fairly obscure free-to-air channel) rather than the better-known, if inconsistent, Channel 5, is going to do for its British viewing figures though.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 07:30:27 PM »
Formula E should race this car at COTA. They could paint the track orange. With the Hot Wheels launch ramp at Turn 1 it really would look like a Hot Wheels race.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
Formula E should race this car at COTA. They could paint the track orange. With the Hot Wheels launch ramp at Turn 1 it really would look like a Hot Wheels race.

I know you're trying to be silly, but I'd totally watch that.

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 04:22:09 AM »
I can't get into electric cars much less electric race cars.If
God didn't want us to have petrol run cars he wouldn't have created
dinosaurs
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

guest3164

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 08:01:03 PM »
I had a ride in an Electric taxi cab the other week and it was pretty great, but that was largely because the cab had a mostly glass roof so the cab felt airy and light.  The electric part was odd given how quiet it was. 

FE I want to get into, I just can't.  I think maybe it just lacks that 'soul' that a series which has existed for decades builds up.  No legendary teams or drivers.  Give it time and I hope I'll like it more.

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 07:37:10 PM »
Personally I like the whole idea now. I owned an electric car 20 years ago and it was useless: 2,000 lbs of lead acid batteries; no heater; 30 mile range (much less if the headlights or windshield wipers were on); all day to recharge.
My opinion was that there was no future in battery powered electric vehicles, and I was the Engineering Manager of a high-tech battery manufacturer. Perhaps (!) my opinion was premature. To be fair, the car was built as a benchmark for the company's Hydrogen Fuel Cell power units which are successful and would be the future if Hydrogen could be more easily obtained.
I look forward to watching this racing series develop, surely it will help electric vehicles become more efficient and acceptable to the general public.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »
I can't get into electric cars much less electric race cars.If
God didn't want us to have petrol run cars he wouldn't have created
dinosaurs

Some day you'll be crude underground  :tease: :tease:

But we won't need oil anymore  :P :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »
Around here, we call them coal powered cars. That's where the electric to charge them comes from here.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 03:50:41 PM »
Electric cars go down better here in the UK, perhaps because there are now entire days in the spring and autumn where Britain is powered entirely on non-fossil-fuel sources (they do cheat a bit and count nuclear power in that rating though). There's even a free charging point next to a local café for those preferring not to charge at home or otherwise running low.

However, none of that could avoid the obvious this race: too much wet sand off-line, plus total lack of preparation from some teams causing needless penalties, completely spoilt the race.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 12:43:19 AM »
I glanced at a headline regarding Massa and regulation penalties? ...

I have to admit, a part of me is curious, so I may watch an outing of Formula E, just to see how it feels and to see how wee Massa is coping over there!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle