collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 309
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will Silverstone host after 2019?  (Read 5397 times)

Offline Robem64

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Jericoke

Re: Will Silverstone host after 2019?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 03:26:26 PM »
I don't see a problem with moving races per se.  You need to have deals in place where the promoters prosper, the sponsors prosper, and the fans have a good time.

Liberty turning F1 into a big party is a dangerous strategy though:  if people are there for the party, maybe another party which is just as good, but without the expense of racecars, will come along and suddenly you're without customers.

Montreal, Melbourne, Mexico and Sao Paolo are all races in the heart of major cities, and they're not forced to be 'street races'.  Even the failed New York/New Jersey race was planned to be on a dedicated race track.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 07:56:37 PM »
Britain has no viable location that could take a street race - especially under the current economic climate. No track is anywhere near capable of reaching Grade 1 standard either. Therefore, leaving Silverstone will mean - at least temporarily - leaving Britain. France lost its race in 2008 and it took nearly a decade to regain its slot, largely due to calendar congestion...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »
One little bit shows what it's all about now, 'Stakeholders and Shareholders', money money money. All any business cares about now is their shareholders.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 04:25:16 AM »
FOM won't be happy till all the classic  races
are gone and more Asian races take their place
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 02:59:32 PM »

FOM has only one job:  makes as much money from Formula One as possible. 

That's the results of having so many competing interests in Formula One, everyone has their own little kingdom to look after, and they have no choice but to double down on their narrow focus.  Why make $20 million in Silverstone when you can make $20.5 million in Timbuktu?  So what if in 5 years Timbuktu won't make a cent?  You need that $0.5 million now!

They need to have the sport run by the teams as a whole.  The teams understand their needs for making money, providing a sport and building a future.  Claire Williams doesn't care about F1 next year, next 5 years, or even the next 20 years.  She wants Williams to be something that matters 100 years from now.  That means racing where people want to see races, both in terms of 'historic' fanbase, and building a new fanbase.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 09:01:57 PM »
It looks like F1 is heading down the same rat hole that NASCAR did. As many of you know, NASCAR was huge here in the States. Then they started dumping some of their best tracks for boring Charlotte clones outside of major cities. They also started juggling the rules around to "attract new fans." Now most Cup races run in front of mostly empty stands. The Brickyard 400 at Indy, usually one of the biggest of the year, drew about 2,500 fans this season. NBC just renewed their TV contract for a fraction of what the last one cost.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »
Monza, British GP, Monaco.Watkins Glen,and such was why
I started watching when I could in the 60's and following F1.
I'm at the point now where I can take or leave F1
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 03:22:04 PM »
It looks like F1 is heading down the same rat hole that NASCAR did. As many of you know, NASCAR was huge here in the States. Then they started dumping some of their best tracks for boring Charlotte clones outside of major cities. They also started juggling the rules around to "attract new fans." Now most Cup races run in front of mostly empty stands. The Brickyard 400 at Indy, usually one of the biggest of the year, drew about 2,500 fans this season. NBC just renewed their TV contract for a fraction of what the last one cost.

NASCAR also was being propped up by American car companies.  They would buy full price tickets for employees and their families to go cheer on their marque.  When the government got involved in bail outs that was deemed wasteful and a lot of 'fans' who were just showing up for free evaporated.

We've seen F1 swing through phases where the manufacturers are all in, and then suddenly not at all.

Motorsports is somewhat unusual where the on screen product is actually (somewhat) a commercially available product.  While I can't buy a 'Lewis Hamilton', I can buy a Mercedes.  What other sport does that happen in?  (Yes, of course players use Nike or Adidas or whatever in their sport, but no one thinks the players are winning because of their shoes)

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 07:59:23 PM »

That could be closer to the truth than you know!!! ... let's face it, Mr Carey is so focused on Miami and Vietnam, I don't think he cares about British/European classic races, so long as he does what is right for the show, that's all that matters to him (... and Bratches).

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 12:06:39 PM »
I am not sure it is fair to say Carey et al want Asian races at any cost. However, I do think they have painted themselves into a financial corner. They have paid far too much for F1 and they need to get a return for the shareholders. The money is in Asia and the Middle East where Governments are prepared to subsidise tracks and events. Tracks like Silverstone simply cannot compete, plus the inept management of Silverstone has resulted in the track not being able to make the F1 Grand Prix profitable. Personally, I think Silverstone will compromise on a financial package with F1 - they can't afford the Grand Prix but they can't afford to lose the Grand Prix (it represents a huge percentage of their total sales revenue).
If the trend towards cities and tracks that do not represent true F1 enthusiasts continues the loser will be the sport. My visits to the Shanghai and Abu Dhabi GP were so depressing; there were no people at the track until about 10minutes before the F1 race (we watched the touring car and Porsche races without one other person in our Grandstand). Then the Grandstands filled, mostly with rich folk who had no idea about what they were watching, and the Grandstands emptied immediately as the chequered flag fell (in fact they started to empty long before the chequered flag dropped).

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 10:10:59 PM »
Liberty's problem is that the investors don't appear to be convinced of the strategy. When Silverstone announced it was exiting its contract, share price dropped 10%. Guess how much it rose when Hanoi was declared?

0.38%.

That's like suggesting it's 26 times more effective to keep a customer than get a new one...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Calman

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 02:19:56 AM »
Maybe Donington Park will put their foot in the hosting door again?  :D

Best Regards,

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 04:12:27 PM »
You're talking about the same venue who closed down the Donington Park Museum last month because it lost too much money for its new owner's* liking (at least, that was the official reason). There's no way they'd take on a project that lost even more money, especially given the amount of money lost on Doninton's last attempt at getting a F1 race is a contributing factor to that particular owner getting to buy the track.

* - Motorsport Vision. They own about half the circuits in Britain, do a good job of it... ...but insist on all the tracks breaking even, no ifs, buts or maybes.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Calman

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 08:31:25 PM »
Okay, so I was being sarcastic about Donny!!

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't put it past Liberty HQ to drop Silverstone and gun for the London Street race as it's replacement .. or is that already the plan???

Best Regards,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle