collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 516
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: So .. how are all you F1 petrol heads?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Calman

So .. how are all you F1 petrol heads?
« on: November 27, 2018, 09:48:25 PM »
Hi folks!

Been a busy 2+ months for me, but sorry to say "I'm back" ... and you may have to listen to my haverings once again.   I hope you all enjoyed the last few GP's and are already counting the days until F1 2019.

So, did we eventually get used to the Halo and forgot it was there? ... are we all seeing Max mature or did his antics towards Ocon blow that out of the water? ... will Alonso indeed return to the grid in 2020? ... and not forgetting ... will SOMEONE!!! please take the fight to Hammy/Merc next season, as his ego may become unbearable if he becomes a six times champ-pi-pion of the woooooooooooooooorld! *help us all*

On a sincere note, I hope McLaren and Williams find some answers/pace for 2019 - we need them back towards the front of the pack!!

Best Regards,
Cal :) 

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Jericoke

Re: So .. how are all you F1 petrol heads?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 03:26:38 PM »
Ferrari and Vettel DID put up a strong challenge.  It got lost in the shuffle, but Hamilton/Mercedes utterly defeated a serious challenger. 

We've seen dominant wins.  We've seen close fights.  This is the first time I've the champion grind equal opposition into dust.

I agree, I'd love to see the championship go into the final race with several possible champions, but it was something special, in this era of reliability, to watch a team collapse like Ferrari.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 06:18:38 PM »
Vettel put up a real challenge for the first part of the season but made some glaring mistakes that cost him a shot at another WDC. All things said, it was a better season on-track than the past few.

My enjoyment of the season was greatly diminished by ESPN's lack of coverage. They made it very, very plain that they have no real interest in F1 racing or F1 fans.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 06:19:35 PM »
Good to see you back, although despite your absence for half the season, you do not escape winning the Wooden Spoon in the Grid Game  >:D

Ferrari did an 'okay' job, not spectacular although I feel a lot of their downfall lays on the shoulders of Vettel who appeared to crack under the pressure of Hamilton.  I am not sure Alonso or Ricciardo would have done the same in such a situation.  I didn't include Max as he would have t-boned Hamilton on multiple occasions!  That alludes also to the fact I am not convinced Verstappen has matured, just I think he is trying not to be so reckless (it's not always working). 

I think Alonso has gone for good, no top team will take him so his choices will be McLaren or retirement, I think he'll stick to retirement. 

Of course, next season we will see the rocket ship Williams FW42 leading Russell and Kubica to being Hamilton's main threats.  But Lewis won't cope with their speed...  :tease:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 07:18:06 PM »
Good you're back Calman, we've sure missed your unexpected take on life, the universe and everything.  :D

IMHO Ferrari fell victim to the second sensor that the FIA was forced to fit on their two battery system after the continual unofficial protestations by Merc and RBR. Mighty strange that they suddenly started losing ground, even without Vettel's much talked about mistakes. Possibly some of the mistakes came from him trying to over drive the neutered car.

We also saw Merc backing away from their ingenious cooling holes in the wheel rims for fear of protest from another team. Seems politics played a much larger part in the title race this season.

I see Haas are still playing politics with the official protest about Racing Point's use of third party tech. For me it's more about them establishing categorically that Racing point is a new entrant rather than what it appeared to be about. Watch out for Haas insisting, through the regular courts if necessary, no Liberty revenue for Racing Point until year 3.     
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:20:14 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 07:50:35 PM »
Good to be back folks!!

Yes, I may have "played down" Ferarri's 2018 challenge in the way I worded things above.  Indeed, the first 6 months looked promising, but it felt like Seb's mistake at his home GP, began the breakaway by Mercedes.  Of course, the well talked about development changes in the car is said to have cost them 3-4 good results, then to be fair, the rest may have been down to lack of confidence and general strategy errors.

Oh well, let's see if Ferrari re-group in 2019 and maybe Red Bull (or even Renault) can join the fight at the front?

Best Regards,

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
My wish for 2019 is for Bernie to have a word with Wolff and arrange for Alonso to partner Hamilton for one final season! That would liven things up and is possibly the only way for Ferrrai to win the driver's championship next season, just as they did the last time back in 2007!

Not that I am living in the past or anything...

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 03:15:39 PM »
Welco :P :Pme back, was wondering where you went...
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 02:12:49 AM »
Welco :P :Pme back, was wondering where you went...

I was in too deep with the Grid Game and started to witness a gambling addiction, so had to run to the hills for sanity sessions!!!  :DD :DD :DD

Seriously though, online work and home life became a tad busy in the mid year months, but I am back now and you will likely be sorry that I am! lol

Best Regards,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle