collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 345
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Stroll to "Force India (or Whatever)"!  (Read 5088 times)

Online Jericoke

Stroll to "Force India (or Whatever)"!
« on: November 30, 2018, 05:56:04 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46342907

As the article points out, this is one of the least surprising things to happen in F1 in quite a while, given his father's ownership of Force India (or whatever they'll be called.)

There was one paragraph in the article that caught my eye:
However, other than the odd highlight, he has been unconvincing in his two seasons so far and Williams are not unhappy to see him go, despite the tens of millions the Stroll family invested in the team.

Clearly with the season over, the editors have gone on vacation too.  I understand what Benson means to say, but only from the context of the entire story being old news.

Offline Calman

Re: Stroll to "Force India (or Whatever)"!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:59:51 PM »
Yes, trying to spice up, boring, old, obvious news in all honesty!!

It's not exactly going to shake up the grid, or indeed, his own performance in the car.  I don't see Stroll ever becoming anyone more than a mid pack driver, so even with all the money and the early hype, it's nothing to write home about.

In 2019, I am keen to see the Renault partnership with Hulk and Danny Ric, Ferrari partnership with Seb and Leclerc ... and possibly even RBR partnership with Gasly and Mad Max!!!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »
It does carry the idea of a "pay driver" to the extreme. Maybe they should rename it Force $troll. I wonder if Stroll can be bad enough for his dad to fire him.

I do worry what will happen to the team when the Stroll family gives up on Lance's racing career.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »
A move to Indycar Cos.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »
It's not exactly going to shake up the grid, or indeed, his own performance in the car.  I don't see Stroll ever becoming anyone more than a mid pack driver, so even with all the money and the early hype, it's nothing to write home about.

Stroll clearly wasn't ready for F1, but he has a podium and qualifying success.  He's one of the best starters on the grid.  He reminds me of Button, having the tools but taking time to put them together AND have a seat that he can win in.

2019 will be his make or break.  He's never going to have a better opportunity in F1 to prove what he can do.  He's lucky for sure, but he's got the opportunity, so we'll see what he's really capable of.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 04:13:01 PM »
It does carry the idea of a "pay driver" to the extreme. Maybe they should rename it Force $troll. I wonder if Stroll can be bad enough for his dad to fire him.

I do worry what will happen to the team when the Stroll family gives up on Lance's racing career.

Running an F1 team is a lot of work, but can be a lot of fun.  Hopefully Racing Point takes the challenge seriously and see it as more than a hobby for Lance.  NASCAR and IndyCar has teams run by former drivers who are better at running teams than racing cars, why not F1?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »
That sentence Jericoke quoted seemed like something I'd write on a bad day...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

guest3164

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 07:59:17 PM »
I'm relieved he's not at Williams any more and I apologise to the Canadians here for that.  He starts well, then goes backwards and his qualifying is still appalling, losing out this season to Sirotkin for goodness sake.  If Perez doesn't beat him, I will be convinced it is due to the team working hard in Stroll's favour and that is sad to feel about a team that is full of hard racers.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 08:53:40 PM »
I'd have thought a better name than Racing point would be 'the F1 Strollers'.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 01:59:25 AM »
 :o   :DD :DD
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 03:24:28 AM »
I'd have thought a better name than Racing point would be 'the F1 Strollers'.  ;)

I think I might like F1 Stroll & Son's
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 08:28:52 PM »
Stroll & Son's is starting to sound like the business next door to Trotter's Independent Traders (T.I.T.) in Peckham!  :DD

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Online Dare

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2018, 11:27:37 PM »
Sergio's seat may be at risk if Lance has any sibling or cousins interesting in
racing in F1

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2018, 11:36:09 PM »
Chicco's seat really will be in serious doubt, at Racing point or any other team, if Lance outscores him this coming season.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 07:34:31 AM »
One thing in Sergio's favour is he brings a not inconsiderable amount of cash from Mexico that undoubtedly helps pay a chunk of the team's budget.  As long as that keeps coming and he doesn't kick up a fuss, I think he'll be kept on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle