collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 348
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren partnering with Chevrolet?  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Jericoke

McLaren partnering with Chevrolet?
« on: December 07, 2018, 05:55:20 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46437215

It's an article about McLaren entering the Indy500 with a team for Alonso.  This time they're going to run Chevrolet engines, and hoping for a better result than their run with Honda in 2017. 

Reading the article it got me thinking though.  They have nothing but nice things to say about Chevrolet, maybe they're looking at a long game to get an American car company involved in Formula One again?  If McLaren and Chevy can put together a high profile win at Indy, why not look to expand into something more meaningful?  Liberty would love to have GM or Ford running in Formula One too.  McLaren really wanted an 'independent' engine supply, hence sticking with Honda for so long, and I'm guessing they still do want that, which means looking at someone who's not in F1.

(For purely historic purposes, I'd love to see Sauber powered by a Chevrolet too!)

Offline Calman

Re: McLaren partnering with Chevrolet?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 08:26:44 PM »
Five words .... I Very Much Doubt It.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 08:44:25 PM »
In 3 words ……... it'll never happen.  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 09:02:21 PM »

Best Regards,

The engine that McLaren will be using in Indy is the Chevrolet, which is built by Ilmor, which we all know built engines for Mercedes in the past, including their 1998/1999 championship seasons.

I don't see it as impossible for them to rekindle their partnership under the Chevrolet name, given much heavier American involvement in the sport.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 10:53:41 PM »

Best Regards,

The engine that McLaren will be using in Indy is the Chevrolet, which is built by Ilmor, which we all know built engines for Mercedes in the past, including their 1998/1999 championship seasons.

I don't see it as impossible for them to rekindle their partnership under the Chevrolet name, given much heavier American involvement in the sport.

Ilmor would find it nigh impossible to fund development required for the Hybrid elements of the present gen F1 engines.

It's why Aston Martin pulled back as soon as no change to engines after 2021 announced.

Ilmor's F1 glory days were with V10/V8 engines but they have been history since 2013.

Indycar engines are twin turbo V6 with no hybrid elements and look how hard Honda, with very deep pockets, are finding F1 hybrid engine development. 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:01:31 PM »
In 3 words ……... it'll never happen.  :D

In one word never
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 05:23:29 PM »
McLaren has two choices in IndyCar - Chevy or Honda. Things aren't exactly sweetness & light between McLaren and Honda, so......

GM just announced the closing of several factories here in the States with the loss of 14,000 jobs. I don't think they want to be seen throwing a ton of money at F1 under those circumstances.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:25:59 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »
This is the GM angle from Canada's side of the fence ...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-general-motors-to-shut-down-oshawa-plant-sources-say/

Best Regards,
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 12:48:41 AM »
McLaren has two choices in IndyCar - Chevy or Honda. Things aren't exactly sweetness & light between McLaren and Honda, so......

GM just announced the closing of several factories here in the States with the loss of 14,000 jobs. I don't think they want to be seen throwing a ton of money at F1 under those circumstances.

GM sort of painted themselves into a corner, they can't design a car to save their lives, their customers only purchase SUVs and trucks.  The SUV and truck plants aren't running at capacity, so they're just closing any factory that makes cars.

You're certainly right that that putting people out of work and then spending a billion dollars on F1 would send a bad message.  I hadn't considered that.

It does make me wonder what sort of 'car' Chevy and Ford will run in NASCAR if they don't sell cars.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »
Ford is keeping the Mustang. Chevy is keeping the Camaro & Corvette. Chevy is already running a pseudo Camaro in the Cup. Ford will switch to a simulated Mustang for 2019.

We have a similar thing with GM here in Ohio, Calman. The Lordstown, Ohio plant has been cut back and is on the chopping block. It builds the Chevy Cruize, yet another model heading for that great parking lot in the sky. The plant was built in the early 1970's to build the Chevy Vega.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 01:18:21 AM »
Gratitude by GM for bailing them out.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »
I could imagine Chevrolet doing an Aston-Martin-style rebadge of another engine. Otherwise... ...I concur with the prevailing opinion.

(This would be the 18-word answer from me).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle