collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 343
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Here comes the Future!! ...  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Calman

Here comes the Future!! ...
« on: December 12, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
We knew it was only a matter of time ... and no surprise that Ferrari is the favoured choice over Mercedes.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/3695/schumacher-has-chosen-between-ferrari-and-mercedes/

So, are we looking at a future, where drivers like Leclerc, Norris and Schumy Jr. are fighting for championships, asking Max (the old timer) to move out the way and not interfere with their battles?  :D

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Online Jericoke

Re: Here comes the Future!! ...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »
When Michael Schumacher joined Jordan at the beginning of his career, he recognized right away that racing for a team that isn't going to win makes it hard to make an impression in F1.  So good on Mick for not taking a seat at STR, knowing he's not going to win with them.

Hamilton, of course, took the same approach, going straight for McLaren.

Plenty of champions have proven themselves with lesser teams and worked their way to the top, but plenty of drivers wasted potential driving for lesser teams too.  You're right, Calman, Max may be yesterday's news before he gets his shot at a championship.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:37:51 PM »
I get the impression that in Red Bull, Max backed the wrong horse from a title-winning perspective. He'd have been better off at Mercedes (if he'd put in a performance pattern like 2016 or 2017 in at Force India in that year, he might now have been sitting in a Mercedes with a realistic, if outsider, shot at the title).

On the other hand, he backed the right horse personality-wise. I'm not sure Force India (still less Williams or Manor, the other options for Mercedes in that era) would have tolerated Max's angular personality very well.

I don't recall Ferrari ever being interested in Max because they have a certain template in mind for a successful driver. It makes me hopeful that Mick Schumacher is seen as fitting that template. I'm not sure if Mick is the next Charles, but he's looking increasingly like a worthwhile choice in his own right. (Also, Sauber is probably the best place for a burgeoning new talent to go).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:39:51 PM »
I think with the young talent coming through and the possibility of RBR competing at the front again, 2019 could be a spectacular year, as far as the competition aspect of F1 is concerned.

We know there is a huge amount of pressure on these young drivers to deliver, but you have to feel that on most outings, they very well may do!!

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 10:44:38 AM »
The new young blood is needed, apart from Max the top teams have stuck exclusively to tried and tested mature candidates. Trouble is all sportsmen lose performance with age and it's a tough call for team bosses to when that is.

Also little point in having driver development schemes if you never give graduates a shot at the top jobs.
Bring on the young colts, be a breath of fresh air - let the chips fall where they may.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 03:08:35 PM »
Also little point in having driver development schemes if you never give graduates a shot at the top jobs.

Agree 100%.  The question is, do these young drivers have far less time to prove themselves, compared with drivers of yesteryear? ... or is this simply pointing at the new volumes of talented drivers trying to reach F1?? (and not having 24-26 seats available like back in the day).

Best Regards,

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:04:58 AM »

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 08:04:11 AM »
I am sure his dad would be very proud of him.
Maybe we will see him in F1 one day.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle