collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 378
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: New York, Paris, London, Munich ...  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Calman

New York, Paris, London, Munich ...
« on: December 19, 2018, 11:53:05 PM »
Okay, so I got carried away with the title, but, I can smell something here.   A push for two GP's in the States and this wild suggestion of Silverstone "and" Greater London as future venues for F1.

Leave it to Ross (not sure if I mean that in a sarcastic tone at this point ... or not??)
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/motorsport/capital-plan-for-london-grand-prix-1-9501764

Never mind, Vietnam is coming!!

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Monty

Re: New York, Paris, London, Munich ...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 09:47:40 AM »
For those foreigners out there (Canadians, Americans, people who live North of Watford Gap) you may not know what 'Greater London' means. Basically it is a huge area (1600 sq km - if you can imagine everything 'inside' of the M25 motorway you will have a reasonable idea) that covers the leafy green areas of Surrey and the grey gnarled areas of East London and every type of geo-political condition in between. If any of you have used 'London' airports you will know that transport links  are not necessarily good just because they are deemed to be 'London areas' (just try getting from London Luton Airport into the City and you will see what I mean!).
My point is that a 'London' Grand Prix is a bit of a joke. That is not to say it is impossible but the 'London' tag will be a bit pointless. The UK road network, particularly in populated areas, just doesn't lend itself to setting up a mass-spectator race event and I can't think of anywhere in the Greater London area that will offer any 'glamour' (London is no Monaco!). I would much rather see further improvements for Spectators at Silverstone and keep racing on the iconic old circuits.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 01:18:24 PM »
In complete agreement Monty,  :good: ….except for the bit about Luton being a London airport.  :tease:

I'm pretty sure they have just added the name of the capital for marketing reasons. I think you'll find all the other strategically planned London airports - even those well outside London, Gatwick & Stansted, have had special Rail infrastructure built into the planning.

Luton is really just a regional holiday/charter place bloated by bucket price no frills operators, seizing upon low landing fees, to help them criss cross European skies.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:23:02 PM »
Luton is a London airport which I agree is stupid.  Really Stansted is no better given it is in Essex.  A bit like my other favourite 'London' airport, London Southend!  All are London ones though and listed on the visit London website. 

One thing I notice having now left London after spending the first 32 years of my life there is how London is spreading, whole counties are disappearing and I fear even Cambridgeshire/Peterborough are close enough to be devoured! 

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 09:35:55 AM »
Hadn't you heard? Royston is now part of Greater, Greater London  :DD

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 02:27:32 PM »
Hadn't you heard? Royston is now part of Greater, Greater London  :DD

I'm not at all surprised, for years now the BBC has ignored, in local radio & news, well over a million people in Hertfordshire. Did I say ignored it's more like wiped from the map, they give Hertfordians either London or Norwich based local TV news coverage and a local Radio station from Milton Keynes two counties away.  :crazy:

Now I've settled in Lincolnshire I get a really localised TV news, East Yorks & Lincs covering a population of about 1.6 million along with a separate BBC Lincs radio serving less than 3/4 of a million.

IMHO the voices of smaller parts of the UK, who already get their own political apparatus, get a far bigger voice than they deserve thanks to our state broadcasters skewed view of the map of England.  >:(   

OK rant over.    :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 08:34:33 PM »
IMHO the voices of smaller parts of the UK, who already get their own political apparatus, get a far bigger voice than they deserve thanks to our state broadcasters skewed view of the map of England.  >:(   

John, if it helps cushion the blow, I grew up watching BBC weather, where the forecast was given as "the weather tomorrow for the South East, North West, Midlands, South Coast, West Coast, East Anglia, Northumberland .... oh yes! ... and the weather in Scotland will be ... "   ;)

Best Regards,

guest3164

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:09:07 PM »
It's almost like Scotland is a different country  :tease:

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 10:31:45 PM »
It's almost like Scotland is a different country  :tease:

One Day!!

Best Regards,

guest3164

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 10:36:46 PM »
Don't wait too long, I want my Scottish passport!

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 11:03:46 PM »
Don't wait too long, I want my Scottish passport!

... and Trump wants another Scottish Golf Course.  Life is a bitch!!

Best Regards,

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 03:41:32 PM »
I once joked with a friend that it would be perfectly plausible for F1 to have a London Grand Prix - just stick it on the proposed third runway at Heathrow. (Probably not the best day to restate this one, as Gatwick Airport shut for a while due to a much smaller - but potentially equally dangerous - distraction). The official guidance from British Airways is that the airport should be treated as being 90 minutes from London city centre. Gatwick was supposed to be 60 minutes away from the city centre and 90 minutes from Heathrow. The real reason they're all classed as "London" airports has nothing to do with the ground situation; it's because under international air law, they're so close together that they are treated as part of the same airspace bundle. This is also why New York's three airports are all considered New York airports even though at least one of them is not in the city (and I'm not sure it's even in the same state...)

The BBC, for many years, considered Derbyshire to be part of Yorkshire, except for the bit around Derby, which was bundled into "the Midlands". Now, with fewer areas, most of it is "Yorkshire and the North Midlands". There's a BBC Derby radio, which allegedly covers Derbyshire but ignores the north-east of it because it is assumed BBC Sheffield covers it... ...which sticks to its actual remit of covering South Yorkshire unless there's an excuse to talk about the Junction 29 of the M1 having a traffic jam. That's almost 1/4 million people who are officially assumed to have no news except traffic news. It's not as bad as the Hertfordshire people get, though.

It's bad enough that the people of Chesterfield created an independent radio station so that the northern part of Derbyshire can get radio news from someone.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 04:41:03 PM »
You are correct Alia, one of New York's airports is in Newark, New Jersey.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »
You're right about New York. The three airports are LaGuardia (In Queens on the north shore of Long Island), JFK (on the south shore of Long Island) and Newark, New Jersey.

New York City is fairly compact compared to most large cities with an fine subway system. It isn't very hard to get from any of the three to anywhere in the City.

When I lived in NYC back in the late 70's - early 80's, I flew in and out of Newark on trips back to Ohio. There was a shuttle bus that ran from the airport to Port Authority Bus Terminal on Manhattan. A 1 block walk to the Times Square subway station and the #1 subway uptown to 125th Steet Station got me to about a block & a half from the apartment.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle