collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 377
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Counting Down the Days!!  (Read 3400 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Counting Down the Days!!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 12:32:52 AM »
...and also whether F1 is going to survive the 2020s

Why? .... is it going somewhere??

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Could be it's going to the dogs.  :D

It's probably the only way to get an inner city race in GB anyways.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 07:05:27 AM »
...and also whether F1 is going to survive the 2020s

Why? .... is it going somewhere??

Best Regards,

Could be it's going to the dogs.  :D

This is exactly what I am getting at. Especially if Calman's belief that Liberty is genuinely getting cold feet is true. I don't think much of the sort of companies that appear to have the inclination as well as the money to purchase it from Liberty. Therefore, if it isn't profitable to look after F1 properly for a financially-minded company (recall this is the second time it's happened to F1), it's unlikely to find itself among the sort of people who "get" how to make F1 interesting to a sufficiently broad audience, and the series will fade out. Probably in favour of a couple of dozen other activities, rather than one specific series or activity taking the mantle.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 09:03:04 AM »
I can't help feel that Liberty are a business with pots of gold, pots of cahoneys and pots of white teeth (all metaphorically speaking of course), who decided to scoop up F1 and pay with it for a while.  Then soon realised that they are out of their depth, discovered that the fans found out in due course, that they know nothing about running F1 ... and now want to back out before Mr Bad Press knocks on their door.  It may already be a little too late for that, but in all seriousness, does F1 have a better option at this venture, that's the concerning part!!!

Best Regards,
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Irisado

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 11:28:56 PM »
I sort of agree with you, but you cannot 'create' interesting: it has to come from the competitors themselves.  If there are some daring designs, things could be interesting. If there are some daring strategies, things could be interesting. And if there are some daring drivers, things could be interesting.

The rules for designing the cars and the poor quality of the tyres don't allow the competitors to do any of this.  Drivers are hamstrung by the penalty system and have no incentive to try adventurous passes with DRS to help them.

We won't know until the lights go out.

I wish that I still believed that.  Every year since 2015 has been very poor from start to finish, and 2009-2013 was not a great period either.  2014 was a bit better, but only because of poor reliability from the turbos during their first year for some of the teams.
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle