collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 386
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11252 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Top 5 F1 Drivers Of All Time?  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Alonsofan

Re: Top 5 F1 Drivers Of All Time?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 09:37:41 PM »
For me when I read the article on the BBC it wasnt so much about bridging the age gap between eras it was about how they were trying to compare modern drivers with "historic greats". I mean the sport has changed so much since then, dare I say modern F1 is very predictable and even a little boring. Possibly even it is too technical for its own good. Simple can often be more fun as it allowed closer more dramatic racing. I mean to hear Fernando describe Monaco as boring made me so sad.....in the old days it was on the edge of your seats racing from lights to flag.
I do notice however hard it is to pick a top five, one driver has been named by you all, Fangio. So does this make him the greatest ever??  :DntKnw:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 10:48:11 PM »
If the 30's cars and drivers interest you, here is a video of the amazing German cars of the era, and the men who drove them. 600 BHP in a 750 Kilo car on 5 inch wide hard rubber tires.

Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 02:24:30 AM »
Why not pick a driver by the decade

50's   Fangio
60's   Clark
70's    Stewart
80's    Prost
90's    Senna
20's    Schumacher
21's    Hamilton

And the could have beens
Cevert,Moss,Giles Villeneuve,Revson,Peterson to name a few that could have been great
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 10:17:53 AM »
Great video  :good: I enjoyed watching it before I hit the hay.
How times have changed.

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2019, 10:38:16 AM »
If I had to pick greats from eras I would pick
50's Fangio
60's Clark
70's Stewart
80's Senna
90's Hakinnen
00's Schumacher
10's Hamilton

This was a hard choice to make especially the 90's but What is the easiest choice to make is who is the hottest F1 driver ever....

1 Fernando in his 2004-2006 Renault

2 Fernando at Ferrari....so hot in red

3 Fernando at Minardi.... so cute when young

4 Fernando at Renault 2008-9

5 As I didn't like you at McLaren Fernando I suppose I would have to pick this guy...

https://imageshack.com/i/porqKc2oj

Phwoooaaarrrrrr   :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Online Jericoke

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 03:08:38 PM »
I do think that the standard of drivers now is probably generally higher than ever, drivers are more professional, more trained etc.  Even the pay drivers are a cut above what came before.  But I think that the real legends of days gone by were probably a notch or two above most of the modern 'stars'.  They not only had to drive fast, but safer in order to literally stay alive.  I also feel we live in an era where, arguably more than ever, the car defines the driver as opposed to the other way around.

In the past, it's hard to say how many 'best ever' racers either died, had a career ending crash, or simply walked away after seeing one too many of their colleagues taken away.

Modern racing safety... from F1 down to local Karting tracks is so much higher, that the best truly get to become the best, and the pretty good get to rise to the top too.  It does make it a very different sort of cucible... Fangio had to stay on the right side of the edge or he would die.  Hamilton, Verstappen etc. can laugh at the edge, because going past it means a DNF at worst.  It makes it easier to find that edge, but it also means the competition can find it too.  Staying alive is tough, but defeating 21 other cars driving precisely on the edge is a different sort of tough.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle