collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 369
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Curious how long we all think he will last at Mercedes?

Signed up again in 2020?
0 (0%)
Not Signed up again in 2020?
5 (100%)
Dropped by Mercedes during Summer Break?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Valterri's Future in F1?  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Calman

Valterri's Future in F1?
« on: January 18, 2019, 10:22:41 PM »
Will he even have a drive in F1 in 2020???

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Valterri's Future in F1?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 12:01:18 AM »
I think we might consider whether Lewis and Bottas truly had equal equipment. When Kimi first returned to Ferrari he had a difficult time with the car because it wasn't designed or set up to his driving style. Maybe the Merc is skewed to Lewis? If Mercedes drops him I think he's done in F1.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »
I think Valterri will get the complete season, and then go to Williams to replace whoever isn't a Williams driver in 2020.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 11:10:30 AM »
I'm not so sure he'll end up back at Williams.  Kubica apparently is on a multi year deal as are his sponsors and if it is Russell (who is also on a multi year deal, although obviously it has Mercedes incentives attached) instead of Ocon who gets the second Mercedes seat, then surely Latifi with his backing would be first in line to get the seat?

Not saying I wouldn't like to see Bottas back at the team, definitely the best driver my team have had for many years, but I don't always agree with going back like that.  Williams would be getting a driver who would no doubt be slightly damaged too, which given it's current state is not ideal (Kubica is damaged, but riding an emotional high right now).

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 12:43:57 PM »
I'm not so sure he'll end up back at Williams.  Kubica apparently is on a multi year deal as are his sponsors and if it is Russell (who is also on a multi year deal, although obviously it has Mercedes incentives attached) instead of Ocon who gets the second Mercedes seat, then surely Latifi with his backing would be first in line to get the seat?

I'm half-expecting one of them to be bought out or found out, and either way leaving a vacancy for 2020 that Valterri can fill.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 04:47:37 PM »
I voted gone at the end of the year. I think he'll spend this year as Lewis's tail gunner.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 04:45:54 PM »

I'm half-expecting one of them to be bought out or found out, and either way leaving a vacancy for 2020 that Valterri can fill.

Kinda chimes with my view that Bottas will be out at Merc for 20, and only return to Williams if he finds some big money backing.
Valtteri never had much financial muscle on the way up so funding a drive on the way down seems a pipe dream.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 06:03:22 PM »

Kinda chimes with my view that Bottas will be out at Merc for 20, and only return to Williams if he finds some big money backing.
Valtteri never had much financial muscle on the way up so funding a drive on the way down seems a pipe dream.

Especially given Wihuri have dropped him from their sponsorship roster. 

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 08:35:02 PM »
I think Mercedes will drop him in 20 but he'll find drives
just not what he hoped for
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »
Regardless of Teams or your favourite drivers, it's a real shame to see talent struggle to stay in the sport.  Twenty years ago, there were a few "average drivers" who happily kept their drive, now talented drivers are struggling to stay in the sport, sometimes, not even due to poor performances (more often a result in team politics, sponsorship or too much talent and not enough seats).

Sign of the times eh?

Best Regards,

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 02:31:57 AM »
I think that Bottas will be able to find a seat if he wants it.  A multi race winner looks good to sponsors, and is hard to come by.

Honestly, I don't know enough about Bottas if he would take a 'lesser' car or not.  However,it would be hard to be too proud if Kimi is happy at Sauber.

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 02:50:45 AM »
It's a real shame, but becoming an all familiar story.  I remember all the "hype" surrounding Bottas on route to F1.  Martin Brundle and a few other pundits had nothing but praise for him, even before he landed the Williams seat.  He did "kinda" outperform Massa, but not nearly as much as people expected (partly down to the limitations of the car even then - although nothing as critical as Williams were in 2018).

Then, of course, he got the call to fill the void after Rosberg's prompt exit at Mercedes.  Since then, he has shown brief signs of promise, but has always been in Hamilton's shadow.  So, sadly, he now fits into the category of "another driver who didn't reach the top, as expected!".

So, if he does indeed last until the end of the 2019 season, will Ocon get a chance to shine in the silver Mercedes? ... or simply fill Bottas's boots as "yet another" rear gunner for Hamilton??

Best Regards,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle