collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 323
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Why Red Bull are unhappy with 2019 F1 front wing rules  (Read 4219 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Why Red Bull are unhappy with 2019 F1 front wing rules
« on: January 21, 2019, 11:56:35 PM »
They'll have to work hard to rebalance their high rake stance  and new size fuel tank may increase wheelbase. They're not the only ones affected either.

Looks like 19 might be an interesting season.  ;)

https://thejudge13.com/2019/01/15/the-reason-red-bull-are-unhappy-with-2019-front-wing/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Aceredbull69

Re: Why Red Bull are unhappy with 2019 F1 front wing rules
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:20:16 AM »
They'll have to work hard to rebalance their high rake stance  and new size fuel tank may increase wheelbase. They're not the only ones affected either.

Looks like 19 might be an interesting season.  ;)

https://thejudge13.com/2019/01/15/the-reason-red-bull-are-unhappy-with-2019-front-wing/

It was interesting to me that Red Bull has said to Honda to give them a powerful and reliable engine and that size would not be a big issue because “We will build the car around the engine”. In that case could we see why mclaren honda struggled for so many years, were mclaren just trying to compact the “coke bottle area” of their car too much?

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:36:49 AM »
Some keen fans would like to believe something in that vein, but personally, I feel that Honda were trying to put a Doc Martin on a Ballet Dancer ... and maybe now, they understand (or are moving a step closer to) the "Fashion/Tuning Fork" which a modern F1 car demands???

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 09:12:14 AM »
Without wanting to start another new thread about the 2019 front wings, it is worth having a look at the Alfa Romeo front wing.  They have pretty much removed all sections close to the wing endplates in order to create some kind of air flow to the back of the car.  So great, you remove all the numerous winglets and flaps, then create this instead.  Here's the car from the front.

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 10:46:01 AM »
That’s the 2019 refs though, isn’t it?  The outside of the front wings has been simplified to allow cleaner airflow to reduce turbulence behind and to have less effect from turbulence coming from ahead.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 04:57:09 PM »
No, this is inside the end plate on the actual wing itself, they have almost ended the wing panels early.  This photo shows it a bit clearer:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 05:22:39 PM »
Will be interesting to see what they all end up with in Oz.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
Yeah Alfa does seem to share some features of Ferrari front wings, they are much higher towards the middle section. But there are big gaps towards the endplates.  :confused:

Maybe they got invited to Sunday Lunch at Maranello instead of round Paddy's.  :D

guest3164

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 07:38:50 PM »
Looking at the renders released today of the actual FW42, I am sure even Paddy wasn't round at Paddy's for lunch that day!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 10:19:12 PM »
Seeing as they are going to give their track shakedown session a miss My guess he has had more than a few Sundays (and other days) doing other things.  :D

Does look a tad conservative though don't it.   

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 01:20:47 AM »
Just reading posts above!

Yes, the Alfa front wing is a little bizarre and departure from the "rough" template which other teams are executing.  Rather than a section missing from the inside region of the endplates, it actually appears like a flat block over the upper wing "fin" (for a better word). Otherwise, the curve downward towards the front of the nose - much like the other teams.

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 12:19:26 PM »
Cal, I was trying to make a point about the Alfa front wings falling the further outwards from fuselage they go.
Most others - Ferrari excluded - rise outwards (or at least remain level) towards the end plates.
Are Alfa and Ferrari sandbagging or do they think they've found something?  :DntKnw:

Online Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 11:55:43 PM »
Cal, I was trying to make a point about the Alfa front wings falling the further outwards from fuselage they go.
Most others - Ferrari excluded - rise outwards (or at least remain level) towards the end plates.
Are Alfa and Ferrari sandbagging or do they think they've found something?  :DntKnw:

It is always interesting when someone finds something new that blows the competition out of the water.

It's also interesting when someone tries to innovate and falls flat on their face.  I always liked the Williams tusk design, though they couldn't get it to work, it was nice to see someone try something different.

Offline Calman

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 02:48:26 AM »
I "think" we are essentially talking about the same area John.  It just that sometimes when I type, my thoughts go onto parallels, so although I noticed other areas on that front wing (may have been part of their launch setup??) ... my initial focus was the angle of the wing towards the endplates.

Best Regards,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle