collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 157
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11271 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Random question.....  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Alonsofan

Random question.....
« on: January 22, 2019, 08:45:06 PM »
I was just wondering as there is not much gossip in F1 at present. Have any of you guys/girls been to any F1 races if so when and where? Also did you meet any drivers while you were there?
Be great to hear your stories  :D

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Random question.....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »
I've been to several, but all a long time ago. A US GP in Watkins Glen, all but the first GP in Long Beach, all of the GPs in Las Vegas. Saw a lot of drivers but didn't meet any of them. Was really more interested in the cars anyway. Have a lot of great pictures, but no way to upload them.
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »
Had a great trip to Monza in 2010, Thursday/Monday, met Scott there on the Saturday, great weekend.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 06:45:34 AM »
Wow! Ikjohnson, must have been great to go to so many races. I know it is hard to get pics on here.

Nice one Ian, 2010....so Fernando in a Ferrari in Italy  :swoon: :swoon:

Offline Robem64

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 07:52:50 AM »
Been to quite a number to date but not had the fortune to meet any drivers (yet!) - I can't be bothered to join these huge queues for an autograph.

My list then.....Silverstone, USA Austin (twice), Malaysia (twice and one visit I met up with Andy B), Baku, Montreal, Barcelona, Singapore & Abu Dhabi.

This year we have these to look forward to so far

Barcelona pre-season testing
Melbourne
Azerbaijan
Austria

Bring on the 2019 season  :D :D :D
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
Brands Hatch (yes I really am that old!); Silverstone more times than I can remember - I was there when 'our Nige' won and was part of the track invasion at the end of the race; Abu Dhabi and Shanghai. I have met Johnny Herbert, Derek Warwick, Rubens Barrichello (he was meant to follow up with a visit to Rye House to do some Karting with my kids but had to cry-off at the last minute - his engineer did come) and Damon Hill.
My family and I have spent quite a lot of time with Lewis Hamilton (when he was about 8  :DD - my kids were kart racing at the same time as Lewis).

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 03:29:44 PM »
The U.S.G.P. at Indy from 2000 through 2007. I was there for every day each year, just about every minute. Indy was great for getting close to the drivers & other F1 people.

There was a pit lane walk about on Thursday morning with autograph sessions. There was also a gate at the back of the garage area with a parking lot across the street. Most everybody in the pit area entered through that gate. I'd get there as early as possible & head straight for it. 

During practice, it was possible to get right up close to the track in several places. Here's a pix I took at FP1 on Friday of the 2004 race. It was at the base of the walk bridge over Hulman Straight just before Turn 8. David Coultard's McLaren conked out and was pushed behind there. I was there & took this picture. I still wonder if he's thinking about going to Red Bull.

Historical note: This was the 1st pix I posted here when I first joined way back when.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 03:32:53 PM »
Been to quite a number to date but not had the fortune to meet any drivers (yet!) - I can't be bothered to join these huge queues for an autograph.

My list then.....Silverstone, USA Austin (twice), Malaysia (twice and one visit I met up with Andy B), Baku, Montreal, Barcelona, Singapore & Abu Dhabi.

This year we have these to look forward to so far

Barcelona pre-season testing
Melbourne
Azerbaijan
Austria

Bring on the 2019 season  :D :D :D

Wow! You have been to a lot of races and plenty to look forward to this season. Melbourne sounds very attractive about now....I mean it has the sun hehe It seems freezing here at the moment in the UK. To top it off I pop to the shops and get greeted with this....

https://imageshack.com/i/pnbnaRE2j

I mean come on it's January!

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 03:38:11 PM »
Cool pic Cosworth, it seems McLaren have really improved since then hehe.

Joking aside sounds cool to get so close to the drivers. What I would give to get close to Fernando....so many questions hehe  :swoon:

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 04:29:18 AM »
What I would give to get close to Fernando.... :swoon:

Are you talking "Deckchair Close" ... or "Elevator Close" ???  :DD

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 05:35:41 AM »
Had a great trip to Monza in 2010, Thursday/Monday, met Scott there on the Saturday, great weekend.

I drive, but am not considered “a driver”

I went to Monza two more times and to Barcelona for a GP.  Amazing times, but never met a driver.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 06:39:56 AM »
What I would give to get close to Fernando.... :swoon:

Are you talking "Deckchair Close" ... or "Elevator Close" ???  :DD

Best Regards,

I am going to have to say neither. Deckchairs are a faff and lifts freak me out  :confused:
I was thinking more of a song sung by my favourite pop group....the Spice Girls  ::) as if....When 2 Become 1 hehe

Offline Calman

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 07:17:02 AM »
Well ... in that case, I hope this little 'serenade' helps with your dream of sharing a moment or two with Fer-Nando!!!  ;)

Best Regards,
Abbaman

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 03:44:35 PM »
Here are a few more pix from the pit gate at Indy. This was how close you could get to the drivers and others. Jarno Trulli, Adrian Sutil and Red Bull boss Christian Horner. Don't blame Jarno for the awful shades.They were Toyota F1 team kit.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:48:33 PM by cosworth151 »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 04:27:34 PM »
... the question is, was Christian Horner the salt of the earth back then? ... or was this photo taken prior to him spicing up his life?? (I know, word play like this simply doesn't cut the mustard).

Best Regards,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle