collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 380
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Irvine on F1  (Read 1767 times)

Offline rmassart

Irvine on F1
« on: January 24, 2019, 05:39:54 PM »
Interesting comments from Eddie in the BBC today:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46927041

Apart from slating Vettel, he makes this remark:

"Formula 1 was still very, very popular when Michael and I were racing," he said. "I think it was a more exciting era but it's less popular now."
"I don't watch it anymore because it bores me," he admitted. "I watch the cars go around the circuit and I think this is incredibly boring because it is so flat.

Now I remember quite clearly that already in the 2000s this wasn't much different. Maybe it was even worse.  I suppose this is the difference between taking part and watching F1!!!

Offline Alonsofan

Re: Irvine on F1
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 06:28:40 PM »
I love the bit about Vettel and agree totally but not too sure about his other comments. I mean Schumacher's team mates, in his hayday, were never allowed to beat him in reference to his Hamilton vs Button comment. Also in his second stint in F1 Schumacher was rubbish with Rosberg beating him by even double points in 2010 and we all know what Hamilton did to Rosberg most years. Also two drivers did very much compete with Schumacher. Hakkinen and Alonso with the second even retiring him hehe

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 08:09:35 PM »
Interesting comments from Eddie in the BBC today:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46927041

Apart from slating Vettel, he makes this remark:

"Formula 1 was still very, very popular when Michael and I were racing," he said. "I think it was a more exciting era but it's less popular now."
"I don't watch it anymore because it bores me," he admitted. "I watch the cars go around the circuit and I think this is incredibly boring because it is so flat.

Now I remember quite clearly that already in the 2000s this wasn't much different. Maybe it was even worse.  I suppose this is the difference between taking part and watching F1!!!

Ferrari/Todt/Schumacher are the clear architects of 'modern' F1.  They emphasized reliability first, then performance.  They achieved their goals through massive effort, constantly testing.  While that sounds great, it takes a lot of money to test like Ferrari did, and it really scared others out of the sport.  The FIA has tried to fix that by limiting testing/development, but it just makes the cars more reliable because most teams can't afford to take a chance.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »

Ferrari/Todt/Schumacher are the clear architects of 'modern' F1.  They emphasized reliability first, then performance.  They achieved their goals through massive effort, constantly testing.  While that sounds great, it takes a lot of money to test like Ferrari did, and it really scared others out of the sport.  The FIA has tried to fix that by limiting testing/development, but it just makes the cars more reliable because most teams can't afford to take a chance.

Ever tighter rules preventing risky leaps in the dark to gain advantage and better computer controlled manufacturing/parts have had an even bigger affect on reliability IMHO.

My own cars in the last 10 year have been ultra reliable, but previous to that breakdowns every so often were expected (and happened). The further back you go reliability really goes out of the window in the motor industry.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 09:16:52 PM »
Eddie Irvine, now he was a Character in F1.

Can anyone remember his stunning drive in the Ferrari all those years ago.  From memory, there were team orders and once he was released, he put on quite the display with lightning fast laps to catch Shumy (did he actually pass him??).  Must dig up that old footage.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 12:10:08 AM »
I don't think Mr Irvine has seriously watched F1 since 2006, for much the same reason as described here. He's having way too much fun making money and doing his own thing to be tracking the sport that used to be his playground.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Irisado

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 10:53:13 PM »
I rarely have any time for Irvine's views.  I think that he was, and still is, full of it.  That said, I agree with him on a number of the points that he made in that interview, not least that Formula 1 is no longer as interesting as it was.  The drivers drive more slowly because of the tyre and fuel regulations, the cars are too reliable, and the competition between the teams is very weak because the top three teams effectively control or own at least one other team.  All of this means that Formula 1 as a spectacle is nowhere near as engaging as it was during the 1990s or early to mid 2000s.

Can anyone remember his stunning drive in the Ferrari all those years ago.  From memory, there were team orders and once he was released, he put on quite the display with lightning fast laps to catch Shumy (did he actually pass him??).  Must dig up that old footage.

There was the 1997 Japanese Grand Prix when Ferrari put him on a different strategy and used him to leap ahead of both Schumacher and Villeneuve to interfere with Villeneuve's race and help Schumacher win.  Is this the race that you are thinking of?
Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle