collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 341
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is Newey the biggest design brain ever in F1?  (Read 5555 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Is Newey the biggest design brain ever in F1?
« on: January 24, 2019, 08:35:04 PM »
Well Marko thinks so and with comments like "He can tell you: ‘That won’t work’. He doesn’t have a computer" and, [even without a computer] "what he designs is 95% correct."

There is also the question of Adrian's contract ending in a year, how many proposals do we guess he will receive?

Considered by many as perhaps the greatest F1 designer ever, Newey has remained loyal to Red Bull through thick and thin, although a move to Ferrari came close to happening in 2014.
The 60-year-old's contract with Red Bull has entered its final year, and Marko is hopeful of keeping its designer onboard, especially with F1's big regulation overhaul sitting on the 2021 horizon.

"Newey’s a crucial factor. When the new aerodynamic rules came, we were completely off. By Barcelona we had a competitive car again," said Marko.
"That’s Newey. He sees what’s not right, even in the design stage, without all the technical data.
"He can tell you: ‘That won’t work’. He doesn’t have a computer – you feel right at home in his office! He just has a big drawing board.
"Another person translates it into the computer language so that the others can understand it. [But] what he designs is 95% correct."

Taken from longer article 'Red Bull switch to Honda just what Newey needed', courtesy F1i.com.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

Re: Is Newey the biggest design brain ever in F1?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »
I would love to see Newey go back and chap on the Williams door, but can't see that happening any time soon!!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
Just like comparing different drivers from different eras, it's impossible to compare designers too!

Newey is very good at what he does, but how can he compare to designing a 6 wheel car?  Or ground effects?  The first ever wing?  The first mid mounted engine?  If modern F1 designers were allowed free reign to try something radical, would he stack up, or would he just iterate a slightly better version of what others do?

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 04:28:11 PM »
I wish Ferrari would swap Vettel for Newey
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:31:47 PM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »
Just like comparing different drivers from different eras, it's impossible to compare designers too!

Newey is very good at what he does, but how can he compare to designing a 6 wheel car?  Or ground effects?  The first ever wing?  The first mid mounted engine?  If modern F1 designers were allowed free reign to try something radical, would he stack up, or would he just iterate a slightly better version of what others do?

Very True. Chapman and Co. at Lotus may not have been as advanced but I believe they had more firsts in design.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 09:19:16 PM »
I agree. There is a huge difference between the wide open innovation of days past and today's squeezing fractions of seconds out of a very tight set of rules.

Newey is known for engine covers that are very tight around the engines. Many blame the tight quarters for the Renualt engines frequently going kerblamo. I wonder how the Honda lump will survive it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 10:23:24 PM »
Going by what I have read in the 2019 pre-season reports so far - "Honda Lump" could prove to become an accurate assessment - only time will tell!!  ;)

Best Regards,
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 03:02:55 PM »
Going by what I have read in the 2019 pre-season reports so far - "Honda Lump" could prove to become an accurate assessment - only time will tell!!  ;

Best Regards,

Wouldn't that be nice.  I'm glad my Civic has a
different engine
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 05:01:35 PM »
Going by what I have read in the 2019 pre-season reports so far - "Honda Lump" could prove to become an accurate assessment - only time will tell!!  ;

Best Regards,

different engine

Maybe you do, and that's the problem.  Slapping a turbo on it and tripling the revs would be a disaster!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 05:11:33 PM »
Toro Rosso had a couple of surprisingly good finishes last season, but the Honda was the least powerful and least reliable engine in the series. Even if they make another leap in both areas, it's unlikely they will catch Mercedes and Ferrari. I think F1 will be a 3 tier series next season: 1. Merc and Ferrari, 2. Renault, Haas and R/B ( R/B may have the best car here but lack of power will hold them back and reliability will cost points) and 3. The rest of the field. Time will tell.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 12:08:22 AM »

Best Regards,

different engine

Maybe you do, and that's the problem.  Slapping a turbo on it and tripling the revs would be a disaster!

Honda makes a Turbo Civic,so there :tease:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 05:09:00 PM »

They also make a diesel turbo version of the CRV
and I want one for my next car.  :yahoo: :yahoo:

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 08:11:52 PM »

They also make a diesel turbo version of the CRV
and I want one for my next car.  :yahoo: :yahoo:

What are you driving now?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »
A SEAT Altea XL 1.6 Tdi. A higher version of the SEAT Leon estate, I'm old so prefer not to have to pull myself up outa cars.  :D 

It's based on the same platform as the VW Golf SV, the SEAT version came first but they've now dropped it in favour of making an SUV model.  ::)
I wanted another Altea XL, but later one.  :(

I know the CRV is an SUV, if you can't beat em - join em.  ;)
I can't afford a new one from Honda or SEAT, but as Honda have been making theirs longer I can get a 5 year old one in my price range.

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 11:04:33 AM »
I try not to let age or 'looking good' get in the way of my car choice. This is my car - I have learnt to fall out of it gracefully  :DD

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle