collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 337
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Rate the Rookies ...  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Calman

Rate the Rookies ...
« on: February 02, 2019, 10:08:43 PM »
Curious how everyone would place the potential of the new rookies in F1 in 2019? ...  a year which will offer up more team/driver changes than the last few seasons.

So, straight off, can we exclude Daniil Kvyat and Robert Kubica on their return to F1? ... and simply talk about these guys >>>

• Lando Norris
• Alexander Albon
• Antonio Giovinazzi
• George Russell

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

Re: Rate the Rookies ...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 10:18:29 PM »
So, rate the rookies...

George Russell is clearly a smart guy who has picked the best team to start his F1 career in.  He has shown himself to be a talented driver in F2 and will do a good job in F1.  Smartly he has chosen Williams and will win the title next year. 

Lando Norris I feel has gone backwards a little on the hype train, he did not do 'as' well in F2 as expected but I think he is a good driver.  It will be difficult to judge his performance though as Sainz Jr is not exactly the best benchmark to have.

Alexander Albon feels like he has the seat due to his prior Red Bull backing as opposed to his outright pace.  It was more a case of who could they pick.  Ticktum doesn't have a super licence so it was left to him.  I think he'll do okay but will be lucky to have two seasons in F1.  Unless they stick with him and dump Kvyat when Ticktum is able to race, which is just as likely!

Giovinazzi I am least certain of, he didn't look amazing in his F1 outing and against Kimi will be in for a tough time in the Alfa Romeo team. 

Kubica I would say is really a rookie now as this is a very different man in a very different spec of F1 car.  He had talent but I am still wary about how he will hold up.  I hope physically he is fine, it's an awesome story, but I kind of expect Russell to beat him.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 12:08:48 AM »
• Lando Norris

There seem to be two Lando Norrises. It is the nature of F1 that at some point in the season, we will see both. Though I'm hopeful we'll see more of the "good" Lando than the "bad" Lando, the McLaren may make it tricky to tell the difference. "Bad" Lando shows it through being semi-inexplicably off his own natural pace rather than by doing obvious errors. Overall, I think he'll show himself to be reasonable... ...but so did Stoffel Vandoorne and it didn't help him very much.

• Alexander Albon

Alexander, to my eye, is the best of the rookies coming through. I believe he will show himself to be worthy of being considered more than the placeholder Red Bull will insist on considering him as being. They think Daniel Ticktum is the next Max Verstappen, alas :(

• Antonio Giovinazzi

Antonio will have a rough start, improve considerably mid-season, but suffer in comparison to a liberated Kimi Raikkonen.

• George Russell

George will do a solid job in a decidedly non-solid car, which will mean he is shaded by Robert Kubica (and possibly more than shaded, if the car is as poor as 2018). Unlike Lando, I predict he will eventually be able to parley it into something better... ...perhaps in 2021.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 01:36:19 PM »
I must say I agree with Alia.

Lando:- does seem to be inconsistent in essentially the same machinery race to race. I supposed it may be set up problems, the team insisting on what they wanted not him. However that doesn't explain some really strange speed differences in the same race. He also benefitted from a real dreadful start to the season by the top team ART on Russell's car in particular, Lando early season form seems to be what recruitment was based on.

Albon:- started last F2 season on a temporary basis with Dams, he proved his worth and was signed for whole season. He then went on to achieve 3rd in championship in what can only be described as 2nd(or even 3rd) tier team. I've no doubt he'll wake up Kyvat and the rest of Red Bull.

Giovaniazzi:- Don't really know a great deal about him. He's next in line in Ferrari driver programme so he gets the seat. Kimi should out pace him easily, if not Antonio will be very impressive.

Georgie Boy:- Seems blessed to be in the right team in the right series at the right time. Now is this from decisions about his ability or other factors - luck being one of them.
Having said that he still rode out a bad patch in F2 last year and never lost the plot, won championship with strategically good drives when it mattered most. Sure it was his championship to lose in the best funded and best prepared car on the grid, but he took it with both hands. I expect more solid improvement throughout season rather fireworks from the off - but give him the car and he can get a result.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 08:45:11 PM »
VERY good thoughts/observations above people!!!!  :good:

Do you think we will hear complaints from the cream at the top, that rookies are getting in their way? ... or like myself, do you have a 'hunch' that we are going to see some great racing in 2019, with developing teams, new drivers and some experienced drivers slightly "out of place" (for want of a better phrase).

Personally, I would love to see the spotlight shift from Mercedes to the Ferrari, Red Bull or Renault team battles.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle